Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-20-2004, 05:28 AM   #1

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
<A HREF="http://www.tricities.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=TRI%2FMGArticle%2FTRI_BasicArti cle&c=MGArticle&cid=1031779166909&path=/news/localnews&s" TARGET=_blank>Interstate accident leaves couple hanging
No one injured, but power interrupted for hundreds
</A>
This did not happen to us-we have had our 5er for a year,but it happened to a friends brother-in-law!

little help for my friends
diandtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2004, 05:28 AM   #2

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
<A HREF="http://www.tricities.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=TRI%2FMGArticle%2FTRI_BasicArti cle&c=MGArticle&cid=1031779166909&path=/news/localnews&s" TARGET=_blank>Interstate accident leaves couple hanging
No one injured, but power interrupted for hundreds
</A>
This did not happen to us-we have had our 5er for a year,but it happened to a friends brother-in-law!

little help for my friends
Old 11-20-2004, 08:44 AM   #3

it appears they had a less than optimum tow vehicle
Disney Campers - Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 10:33 AM   #4

thanks so very much for the link---
Old 11-20-2004, 12:57 PM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
Jayco Owners Club
Ford Explorer should be nobody's choice of a tow vehicle for a full travel trailer. They were asking for trouble.
Old 11-20-2004, 06:35 PM   #6

It's called being aware of your surroundings. He should have been glancing in his rear view mirrors often. He would have seen a large vehicle nearing and gently applied his trailer brakes with the manual control, while holding the throttle at the same speed to keep his rig straight, preventing this common occurance. There is no such thing as an accident while driving; they are crashes caused by human error or mechanical failure.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 06:49 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
The human error his was to use an smal SUV to tow a full-sized TT. One of these days, people will learn that the Explorer class of SUVs are not meant to tow more than a pop up.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 08:16 AM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
... another method to straighten out a trailer is to accelerate --- but this fellow might have already been maxed out!

don
Don in E Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 09:40 AM   #9

IMHO, if you have to watch your rear view mirror in order to anticipate trailer sway, you have the wrong tow vehicle.
Ken Lenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 01:23 PM   #10
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
Related article from our local paper, the Johnson City Press:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>

Sway-control devices may be able to keep RVs from overturning

By Ben Ingram
Press Staff Writer
bingram@johnsoncitypress.com

Two men who work in the field of recreational vehicle sales say a wreck that occurred Monday on an Interstate 81 overpass above Tenn. Highway 394 in Blountville could have been prevented.
It was reported that the trailer hitch on their vehicle might have saved the lives of Thomas and Peggy Tatton, King, N.C., who found themselves dangling off an interstate bridge that morning.

Tatton told Tennessee Highway Patrol Trooper Tim Wolfenbarger that he thought a large motor home went by him at a higher speed and believed that the draft from that caused the camper's movement. The camper's sway reportedly got bigger and bigger until it overturned, sending their Explorer across the bridge.

Carl Story, who worked in the trailer-hitch business before moving on to an industrial maintenance career, responded to the article in a letter saying he believed future accidents like this could be easily avoided altogether.

"RV sway only gets worse unless one of two methods are applied," Story said.

"Most RV dealerships and truck accessory retailers carry a line of sway-control devices to greatly reduce the amount of sway a driver may experience. However, with or without a sway-control device, if the vehicle begins to sway, applying the trailer brake alone will usually straighten it out."

Jeff Crowder, president of Crowder RV in Johnson City, agreed with Story's assessment.

"Sway-control devices are very inexpensive and are usually very effective at reducing the effect of sway or just plain eliminating it," said Crowder, who added that he could not tell if the Tatton's Explorer had a sway-control device on its hitch or not.

"I can say with about 70 percent certainty their vehicle did not have one. Although, there is no evidence they didn't have one either."

Crowder said many other factors can contribute to sway besides draft from another vehicle.

"The size of the vehicle towing the RV can greatly affect sway," he said. "If it's too small, it is definitely a safety concern, or if the weight is unevenly distributed in the RV."

Applying the trailer brake would have been another option that could prevented the wreck from occurring.

"Unfortunately, I would dare say that the individual involved in the wreck did not have complete knowledge about prevention of sway and what to do in a situation like that," Crowder said.

"Most people only learn from word of mouth or from their RV dealer. There is no training and manuals don't list how to handle sway.

"I have turned some pretty angry people away throughout the years who wanted to purchase a larger camper than what their towing vehicle could handle. Ethically, it's the right thing to do."
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 11-21-2004, 02:39 PM   #11

Interesting that the driver blams someone else for losing control over his unsafe setup. Tow ratings...know them...live them. Love my fiver and dually.
Old 11-21-2004, 03:38 PM   #12

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
I have talked with my friend since I posted this. He also said the Explorer had over 200,000 miles on it. They had to get out quickly as gas was poring over them in the truck.
They are very lucky.
Tom
Old 11-21-2004, 06:20 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
My congratulations to Mr Crowder for being one of the few RV dealers that will honestly tell folks about tow vehicles and trailer size. More dealers ahould take the time to educate their own ales staff as well as the new RVer. All too many have former used cars sales people selling for them and the only concern is a sale.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 08:21 AM   #14

I'm with Ken, there should be no need for any such things as advised like this:

"He should have been glancing in his rear view mirrors often. He would have seen a large vehicle nearing and gently applied his trailer brakes with the manual control, while holding the throttle at the same speed to keep his rig straight, preventing this common occurance."

I'm not saying that the preceding tip is incorrect, I'm saying that if you have need of this sort of tip, you should park the rig. If the rig requires the driver to undertake special control techniques every time something passes, then it is clearly not ready for the road.

I get more and more surprised every day that some gov. agency has not mandated that ALL TTs be required to have either the HA or the PR hitches from the factory. The gov. mandates so many other safety areas, I wonder how they managed to miss this obvious one? They make me put on my seat belt, but folks can go blasting down the freeway with no sway control. Hmmm.
ATVr is offline   Reply With Quote