Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-12-2015, 05:59 AM   #1

Bearing grease types compatibility when using E-Z lube Bearings

As you know, the standard warning is not to mix greases when lubricating wheel bearings. Not a problem when manually lubing bearings, but what do you do when your fiver has the E-Z lube bearing?

The Dexter manual warns against mixing grease types and says to pump in new grease until you see it coming out around the grease gun nozzle. However, I am doubtful that method will remove all the old grease.

What did you do? Did you chance it and simply pump in your grease of choice? Did you break your bearings and seals down, clean out the old and then start fresh? (I doubt very many folks did this)

What are you thoughts on grease compatibility?

Thanks,

Steve
Mr_Fixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2015, 06:07 AM   #2

My experience with the EZ lube fittings is if you pump grease in with a grease gun you will push the inner seal out and grease will go everywhere. I have mine done manually.
brewurown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 06:17 AM   #3

I used what the manufacturer specified. If you use what they specify it should be compatible with what is already in there. If you follow their recommendations you will be pulling the bearings for inspection every year anyway, then you can choose whatever grease you want that meets their requirements. I didn't do a complete repack until year 3 on my old TT and changed all the grease then.
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 06:23 AM   #4

American Coach Owners Club
Here >https://www.etrailer.com/faq-grease.aspx
As long as your Bearing Grease has the same Specifications for use - I don't think your going to have an issue.
As far as E-Z Lube bearings are concerned -The have a Double lipped Seal- It would take a lot of pressure to blow one out. There is a procedure you need to follow to insure the greasing pressure doesn't blow out the seal. My Race Trailer - probably the same Dexter Axles as yours has E-Z Lube Hubs and I've never had an issue in the last 100K miles I've used it. Brake are another story !
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 06:29 AM   #5

Here is the thing with breaking them down. The manual says "do not remove the cartridge bearing from the hub bore, unless replacement of the cartridge is intended." It seems to me that argues against really taking things apart?

The whole issue of knowing what is in there the first time, etc, etc, seems to get pretty hazy. I don't worry much about what I have done, but always have a concern about what the person before me did! Maybe most folks do read their manuals, I don't know.

Steve
Old 12-12-2015, 06:33 AM   #6

The manual says inspect "every 12,000 miles, which for a lot of owners is more than a lifetime of use so they never get inspected at all. (Not suggesting I am recommending this).

Steve
Old 12-12-2015, 06:43 AM   #7

The 2 concerns I would have in your position would be,
1) how many miles are on it and 2) was it properly serviced ?
If you can't confirm either I would Pull the Hubs and inspect the Brakes and Inspect the Bearings and Races then Hand pack the Bearings. A note though - You need to replace the Seals every time you pull the Hubs !
Old 12-12-2015, 06:49 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRA225 View Post
The 2 concerns I would have in your position would be,
1) how many miles are on it and 2) was it properly serviced ?
If you can't confirm either I would Pull the Hubs and inspect the Brakes and Inspect the Bearings and Races then Hand pack the Bearings. A note though - You need to replace the Seals every time you pull the Hubs !
It was not my position, as I share your concerns. I was simply quoting the manual. My thought here is a great many folks give no thought to wheel bearings.

Steve
Old 12-12-2015, 07:00 AM   #9

Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewurown View Post
My experience with the EZ lube fittings is if you pump grease in with a grease gun you will push the inner seal out and grease will go everywhere. I have mine done manually.
The old grease is SUPPOSED to come out inside the cup and around the zerk. No seal gets blown by this. I've greased our 5er and utility trailer for over five years in the way Dexter says with no seal problems at all.
Old 12-12-2015, 07:06 AM   #10

I agree !
Old 12-14-2015, 10:39 AM   #11

If I was going to use the e-z lube system (which I won't because I don't want a hub full of geese that is doing nothing), I would clean all the old grease out, hand pack the bearings with one of the manufacturer's recommended greases and then use that grease only.

I've been using Pennzoil 707L for many years with no bearing problems.
Wilber1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 01:22 PM   #12

My thought is, unless you are boating and submerging your hubs, the EZ feature is of limited or no value, if you intend to follow the manufacturer's guidelines of breaking down the hubs every year or 12,000 miles. Breaking down the hubs to inspect the bearings annually is what I already do and I have never had a problem. With EZ lubes I have to do the same thing and what? Add grease in between breakdowns? Why?

Steve
Old 12-29-2015, 04:21 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Fixit View Post
My thought is, unless you are boating and submerging your hubs, the EZ feature is of limited or no value, if you intend to follow the manufacturer's guidelines of breaking down the hubs every year or 12,000 miles. Breaking down the hubs to inspect the bearings annually is what I already do and I have never had a problem. With EZ lubes I have to do the same thing and what? Add grease in between breakdowns? Why?

Steve
I can add to this with my recent experience. I will go into this knowing this is likely as heated a topic as the LT vs ST tire issue BUT... Having been a mechanic for a majority of my life, I have done my share of wheel servicing, including boat trailers. When I pulled the wheels off the fiver earlier this year (for the first time since leaving the factory I assume) I was shocked to find all four brake assemblies completely covered in grease. The seals were intact and in place but grease had been pushed past the seals and all over the brakes. I assume this happened during service by the previous owner but have heard that some manufactures are guilty of over packing the hubs during assembly. On my Lippert axles, the hole the grease comes out of is between the seal and the inside bearing making it very easy to push out the seal. I have since replaced all four brake assemblies, serviced all bearings (HAND PACKED) and replaced the seals with new units.

General opinion is that the wheels should come off once a year or 12k miles. Bearings cleaned and packed with just a little grease left in the hub. There is no reason for these hubs to be "packed" with grease. As stated above, there is no real reason to add any grease between these services. There is also no way to know for sure how effective you are at getting grease through the whole bearing without pulling the hubs. AND if you think about it, wheels do not "use" grease, so if you just continue to add grease, it HAS to go somewhere. Unless you like your brakes well lubed, I would skip the fittings and take the time to pull and service.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Brakes 2.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	428.6 KB
ID:	115227   Click image for larger version

Name:	Brakes.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	403.0 KB
ID:	115228  

FFStreetDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 06:36 PM   #14

I don't disagree with what you found at all , glad you caught them in time ! However I have EZ lubes on my Race Trailer for what ever reason I Lube them according to the Dexter Axle Instructions and have never had an issue. Since 2001 I have logged over 200,000 miles on this trailer and it has no Bearing issues at all ., This Year I replaced the Drums, New Bearings and Brakes.