Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-29-2016, 10:49 AM   #1

Bed Damage with Demco Slider?

I thought I had finally made up my mind on an auto slider. I had decided on the Demco 18k because of the interlocking jaws and slide bar. Well, that was until I called to have one installed and the business asked why I wasn't going with a Pullrite. He didn't like the way the Demco places the weight of the trailer direcy on the bed via the rear brace when the slide is rearward.

This bouncing back and forth on selecting an auto-slider is driving me nuts. Has anyone had bed damage from their Demco?

While I'm at it, do all the Demco sliders chuck right as they are straightening out? I have heard complaints about that.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2016, 11:06 AM   #2

Mid Atlantic Campers
I would have to agree with the business on the pullrite. Love mine and never had a problem. Operates smooth and no play no "chucking". My .02 cents worth.

Old 03-29-2016, 12:03 PM   #3

I do not like either auto-sliders hitches. I like to keep things "KISS" and the manual Reese slider is a "KISS" method. Another item to remember in buying the Pullrite slider hitch is you need to buy a capture plate at additional cost to use the hitch with your trailer. And if you loss or damage the capture plate will you will be buying another one!
Old 03-29-2016, 12:36 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcumminsw View Post
I do not like either auto-sliders hitches. I like to keep things "KISS" and the manual Reese slider is a "KISS" method...
Not to get off-topic but I have to ask, just how often do you find yourself using your manual slide and where do you primarily camp? At what angle can I expect to turn a square-front trailer and not make contact... pulling in for fuel? A tight turn in town?

I suppose if I had a manual slider I'd ultimately want to have a way to release it from the cab. May sound unsafe but it seems we all have safety devices in place to protect the stupid that only interferes with others.
Old 03-29-2016, 12:41 PM   #5

I have the Demco slider and have not experienced any bed damage nor chucking as it straightens out. The slide doesn't move too much until you get at a pretty tight angle and that only occurs during backing or tight forward turns at slow speed.

Did your business like the fact you don't need a capture plate, or the wrap around jaws with the locking bar in front with the Demco?

I wondered about the bed in the beginning, but it has a brace against the bed to stabilize it when slid...no damage in about 10,000 miles. I really like mine...a friend of mine has the Demco Autoslide and hauled for one of the trailer delivery companies and has been coast to coast several times. No problems.

Tim

Oh, yeah - I like your Mustangs...
Timay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 01:43 PM   #6

Mid Atlantic Campers
Capture plate???? What is the big deal? Paid $29.00 for it, 2 minutes to install and who would lose it or if you bend that plate then you would certainly destroy any other hitch. Both are non starters for me. As for the manual slider: one time forgetting and damage the cab and you just bought a nice slider. I have never measured the angle to see when the slider does its thing I just know I don't need to worry about it. We went camping this past weekend and just in the campground the slider moved at all the tight turns and there were several. I would have hated to jump out every time to unlock a manual slider.
Old 03-29-2016, 02:06 PM   #7

Sounds like the installer is blowing smoke my way. I can't find anyone local to install my under bed system so I think I'll purchase the above bed system and install it myself, can't take much more that a couple hours I would hope. The under bed looks a bit more complicated than I have time, tools or space available to do myself.

Choosing a TV was easier than choosing a sliding hitch.
Old 03-29-2016, 02:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timay View Post
...Oh, yeah - I like your Mustangs...
Thanks, Tim. The turquoise '65 was ours, the red one is a friend's.
Old 03-29-2016, 02:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog2you View Post
Capture plate???? What is the big deal? Paid $29.00 for it, 2 minutes to install and who would lose it or if you bend that plate then you would certainly destroy any other hitch. Both are non starters for me. As for the manual slider: one time forgetting and damage the cab and you just bought a nice slider. I have never measured the angle to see when the slider does its thing I just know I don't need to worry about it. We went camping this past weekend and just in the campground the slider moved at all the tight turns and there were several. I would have hated to jump out every time to unlock a manual slider.
You don't keep on jumping out to unlock it. When you sign in at the office you slide it back when you leave for you next destination you slide it up. We towed a 5er for years with a short bed and a manual hitch and think I may have used it twice.
1998 36ft Country Coach Magna #5499
Gillig chassis with a Detroit series 40
2002 F250 CC 7.3 PSD
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 06:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live 2 Camp View Post
Not to get off-topic but I have to ask, just how often do you find yourself using your manual slide and where do you primarily camp? At what angle can I expect to turn a square-front trailer and not make contact... pulling in for fuel? A tight turn in town?

I suppose if I had a manual slider I'd ultimately want to have a way to release it from the cab. May sound unsafe but it seems we all have safety devices in place to protect the stupid that only interferes with others.
I use my manual slider 100% of the time when backing into my driveway and about 50% at campgrounds. When we get out of the truck to register at the campground office, I will put the hitch into the maneuver position if we are using back in site. Other wise the hitch is in the towed position regardless of type of road we are towing on. When we fuel up the truck with the trailer attached I am using the interstate truck stops.

I am on my third 5er and I have never had an issue when towing in towns or on the highway with any of them. This is the same hitch I have had with all three of them and two different SB trucks.
Old 03-29-2016, 07:12 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
It can occasionally be a pain to get the slider to the maneuver position. The auto slider is piece-of-mind at (perhaps) the expensive of a bit more chucking due to design.
Old 03-30-2016, 06:17 AM   #12

Mid Atlantic Campers
All I'm saying is forget just "once" will make you wish you had an auto slide. I'm just lazy i guess and don't want the hassle of a manual slide.
Old 03-30-2016, 09:21 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog2you View Post
All I'm saying is forget just "once" will make you wish you had an auto slide. I'm just lazy i guess and don't want the hassle of a manual slide.
Guess I'm lazy too except I don't have any slider, manual or auto. Just an old fixed leg hitch. I'm just not lazy when it comes to something so critical as maneuvering in a tight spot. An extended pin box fiver with any 6.5 ft bed truck has a max angle equal to or greater than the typical TT setup. So, if they can manage w/o band-aids, shouldn't we be able to?? 26+ yrs without problems using 6.5 ft bed trucks.
dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 10:01 AM   #14

Mid Atlantic Campers
26 years and still driving the same truck! You are amazing. LoL

Tags
slide