Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2016, 10:11 PM   #1

Bedroom A/C

I need to have a 2nd A/C up front. Our 5r originally came with 1 but where my wife is staying in southern Missouri, 1 is not enough.

Because of how tall our High Country is, I'm looking for a low profile one. There are several on the market.

1 - Has anyone here had a second one installed?
2 - What brand and why?
3 - What size?
4 - I assume the thermostat has to be swapped out?
5 - There's one vent from the rear A/C in the bedroom, did you close that off?

Help is needed and appreciated.

Whitewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2016, 10:14 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
in our cedar creek we had a low profile penguin unit, i think it was about 8" tall, which was good as were 13'6" tall.

everything was on the ceiling unit for controls, so no additional wiring was needed, the factory already put a romex wire in the ceiling

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 11:04 PM   #3

Evergreen Owners Club
You won't be happy as it will be a stand alone ceiling A/C with ceiling controls. Not ducted into the main A/C ducting and loud loud loud.
Old 06-11-2016, 11:49 PM   #4

I would suggest you go with a Dometic Penguin II low profile a/c unit for your bedroom.

1 - Has anyone here had a second one installed? Many owners that don't order the second a/c units get dealers to install them.
2 - What brand and why? Dometic--readily available.
3 - What size? 13,500 btu's
4 - I assume the thermostat has to be swapped out? Many manufacturers prewire their 14" vents above for the a/c units, and that includes running a wire for the thermostat to your light switch.
5 - There's one vent from the rear A/C in the bedroom, did you close that off? No, you leave it open. Using ducted a/c units on both ends allow you to run one a/c unit or both a/c units. Many run both units in the daytime and cut the bedroom a/c unit off after dark--as they're pretty loud in such a small space.
Old 06-18-2016, 12:39 AM   #5

I just bought/installed a small, portable, 10k BTU unit. We are in New Mexico until the end of June and with the current heat wave, our main unit just wasn't keeping up. It would start around 9:00 am and wouldn't shut off until the sun went down. Set the thermostat at 76 but it would only hold around 80 degrees. Looked at installing a second unit in the bedroom (we're pre-wired) but cost would be around $1100 dollars installed, and would result in another potential leak point in the roof. The portable unit works great! The main unit actually cycles on and off now, and we are able to maintain a constant 75 degrees inside witH ambient outside temps of 100+. Cost was $320 and about an hour of my labor fitting the exhaust vent to a window.

Regards,

Bob

Bob & Karen Tipton
2011 NuWa Hitchhiker 31.5 UKTG
2010 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW 6.7 CTD
Full-Time since September 2014
Old 06-19-2016, 06:23 AM   #6

Thanks for the info everyone. MUCH appreciated. I've decided to go with a low profile Coleman Mach 8. 13.5K BTU's.

Extensive discussion with one service manager about Dometic and Coleman. He said they've experienced a lot of under and out of warranty replacements lately with Dometic. But choice was mine. Based on the fact that I can't drop everything and drive 900 miles to fix something, I went with the Coleman. I know that no matter what, anything can break at anytime.

The original shop is less than 1/2 hr away but they couldn't get us in for the work until the middle of July. So I have an appointment 3 hrs away just south of Memphis a little, in Mississippi this Thursday.

Heat 'Real Feel' the other day was 117, so you can see why I don't want to wait.
Old 06-21-2016, 01:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
I would suggest you go with a Dometic Penguin II low profile a/c unit for your bedroom...
Yep, that's exactly the route we went. Our Montana HC came with the rear AC factory installed. I had the dealer install a Dometic Penguin II in the front, using the factory prepped wiring and duct work (accessible once they remove the vent). It's wired to the thermostat in the livingroom (factory dual thermostat for front heat/AC and rear AC), and it works really well. The vehicle height when hitched is just under 13 feet.

Coleman or Dometic, you'll love the improved evenness (is that a word?) of the temperature, once you get the second unit in. It'll also come in handy when one unit breaks, as my rear AC did last summer.

You can just see the Dometic in the front in this picture.
Old 06-22-2016, 07:19 AM   #8

The height is a major concern. Thanks for the measurement. I'll recheck ours when they're done. While they're up there I'm going to ask them to service the main A/C.
I wanted slide toppers installed also but one measurements are done it takes up to 2 weeks to get. I'll measure this trip and order and install next trip.