Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2014, 01:51 PM   #15

Agree a data tag every dexter I owned had one

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2014, 07:54 PM   #16

Thanks to ever one on here who helped me . Went back to dealership today got pictures of tag on axles , wow y'all are good lol. 5200# Lippert . Dealer still working with Forest River on replacing . I walked around there RV's and found that 5200 # axles was the normal even on the ones that dry weight was more than mine .

Old 04-24-2014, 12:33 PM   #17

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrollander View Post
Thanks to ever one on here who helped me . Went back to dealership today got pictures of tag on axles , wow y'all are good lol. 5200# Lippert . Dealer still working with Forest River on replacing . I walked around there RV's and found that 5200 # axles was the normal even on the ones that dry weight was more than mine .

That is ridiculous!

Dry weight be hanged- it's loaded/gross weight that counts when putting an axle on a trailer. As pointed out earlier, your trailer has a stated gross weight rating well over 12,000 pounds. The axle was/is clearly not sufficient for the load and THAT is the cause of whatever failure has occurred. You didn't overload your axles- Forest River did.

How ludicrous is it that they put LRE16" tires on the rig? That's 14,000 pounds total of tire carrying capacity- but completely meaningless on 10,000 CC pounds of axle.

If I were you I'd be screaming my head off for TWO new axles, this time with load ratings in keeping with the stated gross vehicle weight- preferably, in fact, at least ten percent over that number. And don't be shy about reporting this to Safercar.gov, or at least mentioning you're thinking of doing so. Link to page This kind of underspec nonsense goes on all the time, as you evidently discovered in your walk around the lot. If enough folks report such shenanigans, maybe trailermakers will be motivated to change their practices.

Good luck and thanks for keeping us posted!
Old 04-24-2014, 12:59 PM   #18

I agree that I don't think the axles are strong enough . I've been trying to find a site to tell how to figure what size Axel's I really need.
Old 04-24-2014, 02:12 PM   #19

12500# gross weight = approx 2500# pin weight, leaving 10000 for the axles. 2x5000# axles is just the bare minimum to be legal. 10000# + 20% = 12000# = you need 2x6000lb axles. Max of 10000# on 12000# of axles should give you plenty of capacity. If you like the trailer, I would negotiate a replacement of BOTH axles with 6k capacity axles.
But there are other considerations--what are the spring paks rated at? Having 2500lb spring paks (4) still leaves you with only 10k spring capacity. The springs need to be upgraded also, which brings up the strength of the spring brackets.
You need to talk to a competent spring/axle shop about all this.
Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 03:14 PM   #20

Thanks Wingnut 60. I'm looking into it now and trying to figure which way to go. To say the least I'm very disappointed .
Old 04-24-2014, 03:21 PM   #21

Why? The axles are rated to support exactly what FR says the chassis is rated for. I don't see any problem. Knowing FR products the pin weight will exceed the 20% average and probably be closer to 22-25% so that in real life reduces your axle loading by maybe another 500 to 1000 pounds.
450Donn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 04:01 PM   #22

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
Why? The axles are rated to support exactly what FR says the chassis is rated for. I don't see any problem. Knowing FR products the pin weight will exceed the 20% average and probably be closer to 22-25% so that in real life reduces your axle loading by maybe another 500 to 1000 pounds.
O.P. gives weight (presumably from as-built sticker) as 9300 plus 3200CCC for a total of 12,500. Pin weight for that model is predicted by Forest River as around 1600 pounds. Put sheets, blankets, and clothes in the wardrobe and you might have 1700 pounds up there. I s'pose they could dabble with the numbers to make it look as if there's only 5,000 pounds on the axles, but the fact that they saw fit to equip the rig with 7,000 pounds of tire capacity belies their belief in that "fact". Poundage isn't evenly distributed, either, especially under dynamic conditions. Axles should be spec'd with that in mind, especially on RV trailers, so different in design/purpose/centers-of-gravity from equivalent equipment trailers.

And what are we to make of the fact that "overload" has already been diagnosed? Wait- I forgot- that, according to the dealer, is the O.P.'s fault.

That'll learn ya, O.P.- next time, leave that extra dishtowel behind!
Old 04-24-2014, 07:08 PM   #23

I've looked at all of the specs for every current year Wildcat. They are all correct on paper and that's all they have to be. I can't find an archive for the unit in question in this thread. My instinct is it's also correct.

Here is a quote we seldom see before we purchase a RV trailer.

" The FMVSS have requirements for the manufacturer to use proper tires and rims for the gross axle weight rating (GAWR) and the gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR). The manufacturer may determine the GVWR by adding cargo capacity (if any) to the curb weight of the vehicle as manufactured. The wise consumer, before purchase, will determine if the vehicle has sufficient cargo capacity to carry the weight of water, additional equipment (such as televisions, and microwave ovens), and luggage. The manufacturer’s certification label must show the GVWR. The GVWR must not be exceeded by overloading the vehicle. There is little the government can do to assist a consumer who has purchased a vehicle that has insufficient cargo capacity for its intended use."

Let's do some hypothetical figures for the trailer in question. Let's say its GVWR is 12000# and the manufacturers estimated hitch weight is 1600#. (The manufacturers estimated hitch weight is official at this point, it's the only time it's used). 12000 - 1600 = 10400 , divide by 2 = 5200. That's the minimum value for the GAWRs in this scenario. It's perfectly legal. All the figures from that point forward belong to the vehicle owner.

FastEagle
FastEagle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 07:19 PM   #24

Well after researching and all the help I've had own here I have to agree with you Fast Eagle they are legal but close.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:08 PM   #25

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastEagle View Post
12000 - 1600 = 10400 , divide by 2 = 5200. That's the minimum value for the GAWRs in this scenario. It's perfectly legal. All the figures from that point forward belong to the vehicle owner. [/FONT]

FastEagle

The O.P.'s numbers are higher than those you used. He reports a GVWR of 13500 pounds, presumably from the labels on the rig. The axles are short of capacity by at least 1500 pounds total. That undersizing is likely the cause of the so-called "overloading" he's being blamed for.

The deficiency could well be worse on one side/axle than the other- these units are notoriously badly balanced per side to side weight distribution, more attention being paid to how things feel on the inside than to how they affect loading on the trailer wheels/axles. Another reason why trailer axles should be sized with a certain redundancy built in, just as Forest River somewhat ironically did with the tires and wheels in this case.
Old 04-24-2014, 09:49 PM   #26

Legal is one thing, practical for long-term wear is another. Running at max weight carrying rating for the suspension is not something I would recommend, tho I don't know of any 'official' over-capacity tables to use. Thats why I have 19220# worth of tire capacity for an axle weight of around 13200# I am closer on the axles, tho, at 16000# for that 13200# But DRV isn't immune to the ratings game, as the trailer originally came with 7k axles for that 13200# leading me to replacing the axles.
Joe
Old 04-24-2014, 10:02 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post
O.P. gives weight (presumably from as-built sticker) as 9300 plus 3200CCC for a total of 12,500. Pin weight for that model is predicted by Forest River as around 1600 pounds.That's "dry" pin weight. Put sheets, blankets, and clothes in the wardrobe and you might have 1700 pounds up there. I s'pose they could dabble with the numbers to make it look as if there's only 5,000 pounds on the axles, but the fact that they saw fit to equip the rig with 7,000 pounds of tire capacity belies their belief in that "fact". Poundage isn't evenly distributed, either, especially under dynamic conditions. Axles should be spec'd with that in mind, especially on RV trailers, so different in design/purpose/centers-of-gravity from equivalent equipment trailers.

And what are we to make of the fact that "overload" has already been diagnosed? Wait- I forgot- that, according to the dealer, is the O.P.'s fault.

That'll learn ya, O.P.- next time, leave that extra dishtowel behind!
Look, I am not going to argue with you about the numbers. I will just state the facts from my FR fiver which is nearly identical in weights.
12,750GVWR
9500 "dry" weight
1650 Advertised pin weight
REAL ready to camp scaled weight 12,500
REAL ready to travel pin 3200
I'm not saying that the OP will have the same pin weight as mine, but knowing that FR builds pin heavy for better towing experience I see no reason why the 5200 pound axles are not more than adequate for his fiver.
450Donn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 10:22 PM   #28

Not sure what the definition of 'adequate' is? Your numbers indicate you have weight on axles of 9300# giving you 1100# (550/axle) extra. If you're ok with that, so am I.
Joe