Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-31-2006, 11:31 AM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Had a blowout last week. Tires 4 years old, about 20,000 miles on the tires, they looked good and the tread looked good from a casual walkby inspection. Should have inspected the tread wear pattern better. Today while new tires were being mounted we discovered the front axle was bowed. The middle of the axle is higher than the ends and the front tires do not line up straight with the rear tires. We are contacting Alco the axle manufacturer now. I don't really expect any financial return just want to report a defective part. We did a tight inspection on the rig when it was delivered but never even condisered that we needed to check the axles. You would think that Forest River would have checked the axles since they installed them on the frame. While tracking down a axle repair facility we learned that a friend and his son both had TTs that had warped axles. Is this an industry wide situation? Now I guess I have to learn how to measure tread wear or bug Bill to do it.
Nancy

ncason is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2006, 11:31 AM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Had a blowout last week. Tires 4 years old, about 20,000 miles on the tires, they looked good and the tread looked good from a casual walkby inspection. Should have inspected the tread wear pattern better. Today while new tires were being mounted we discovered the front axle was bowed. The middle of the axle is higher than the ends and the front tires do not line up straight with the rear tires. We are contacting Alco the axle manufacturer now. I don't really expect any financial return just want to report a defective part. We did a tight inspection on the rig when it was delivered but never even condisered that we needed to check the axles. You would think that Forest River would have checked the axles since they installed them on the frame. While tracking down a axle repair facility we learned that a friend and his son both had TTs that had warped axles. Is this an industry wide situation? Now I guess I have to learn how to measure tread wear or bug Bill to do it.
Nancy

Old 07-31-2006, 12:12 PM   #3

I know most of the trailers I have owned had a slight bend in the middle.They are made that way make up for the weight on the tire sides.Thats not to say you dont have a leginimate problem,just something else to look at.I imagine if on a dual axle trailer if one axle was arched more than the other it is a problem.

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 12:32 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Most axles have camber built into them.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 01:25 PM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
I understand about the camber, but the rear axle doesn't seem to have the same "bow". Also the tires are not straight to each other the rear tire sets out about 1/4" or more than the front tire on each side. Is this normal? One tire was cupping and wearing on one edge. One tire had a significant tread depth difference on one edge over the other edge. All of this was discovered after the tires were removed from the rig, so I don't know which axle was showing the most wear on the tires etc.
N
Old 07-31-2006, 01:33 PM   #6

Limited options.First ask F.R. for help,worst they can do is say no. Get 2 new axles,not the cheapest solution but at least you will have it right.You can use all the other componants,brakes , etc.I dont have faith in axle shops retempering and arching axles, it may be cheaper though. Also ,why did it bend in the first place,loose bolts,accident,twisting frame??

Old 07-31-2006, 01:44 PM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Who knows why? I just want things fixed right because this winter we will be going to Arizona (2,400 miles one way) and we want the rig in best shape.

BTW loved your since of humor at the rally. I will make sure we are at the same or next table next time.
N
Old 07-31-2006, 02:14 PM   #8

Thanks, I havent gotton any nasty emails yet,except from the owners of the Great American Buffet, seems they have a 2 hour limit

Old 08-01-2006, 05:29 PM   #9

I believe the bowed up in the middle thing is normal, and they may not appear the same.

I think the best thing to do would be to take it to a good shop to have the trailer's alingment checked... If in fact it is out of whack, perhaps you could chat with the dealer about paying part or all of repair or replacement.
Jeff_in_The_Dalles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 05:39 PM   #10

Texas Boomers Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Thanks for the input. The 5vr is at the repair shop now for repairs due to the tire blowout. Crisp RV in Washington, NC, has been in business many years and Greg Crisp's first impression is that the axles probably met the "minimum" requirements at installation. I think he may be right, and when you think of all of the potholes and expansion joints etc a weak axle would get out of kilter the same way a car gets out of alignment. (I am not a mechanic and this is just a woman's reasoning). I will continue to follow up and keep calling Alco the axle manufacturer until they answer the phone, as yet they have not returned any of my voice mail messages......
N
Old 08-02-2006, 07:17 AM   #11

Trailer manufacturer's use the minimum weight axle they can legally use in most cases. All the trailers I've bought have axles that are limited closely to the trailers GVW minus the hitch weight. My instance- i have a 15,000# GVW 5er, the axles are 7K each and one has been replaced already. I built a 24' flatbed trailer and used the next larger size to avoid bending one. If you must replace the axles, consider buying the next larger size.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 07:22 AM   #12

Coastal Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Cardinal 29WB </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">probably met the "minimum" requirements at installation </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Both may have... one max (or close) plus and the other max (or close) minus... and when added togather, OOPS!..

Good luck..

2006 "Collector Edition" Arctic Fox 24-5N
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 12:25 PM   #13

Before I unbolted anything, or pointed the finger at any one component, I'd get it weighed. Loaded, as you would use it. Ice in the chest, mayo in the fridge. Everything. It may be that you do have an issue, but an axle issue is usually caused by overloading in most cases. If your overloaded, and you replace the axles, your going to see the issue come back.
Old 08-06-2006, 04:10 PM   #14

Texas Boomers Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Thanks to all who responded. I finally talked with Customer Service at ALCO-KOBER and of course they started citing overloading.... The GAWR is 10,400 lbs (5,200 lb each). The CAT scales in March 2003 measured my trailer axle weight to be 8,460 so I had 1,940 lbs to spare. This measurement was taken with a fully loaded trailer, about 1/2 tank of water, and black/gray tanks empty.

We are going to get the axles realigned and watch tread wear closely. If we find unusual wear and the axles out of whack again we will change the axles.

I had read a lot about proper loading of the rig on this site prior to our purchase of the Cardinal so I was careful of where I stowed what. Stuff just happens sometimes even when you try to do everything the right way.