Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-26-2014, 11:47 AM   #1
Best 5th wheel toy hauler combination

Hello everyone,
I am new to the forum and joined to gather and research information for the future purchase of an rv. I am soon to be retired LEO and am looking at purchasing a toy hauler. In search of feedback from members on which is the best way to go. I am thinking a 5th wheel setup towed by a dually diesel as I heard the ride and handling is much better with this set up. Is a tandem or triple axle trailer better ?. I am looking to stay away from a motor home because my theory is if you break down you lose both your transportation and your living quarters. Any feedback on best towing vehicle and opinions on different manufactures of trailers appreciated. For the most part it will just be me and wife and an Harley Ultra in garage area.

eggs1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2014, 12:00 PM   #2
Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Hi and welcome. A few more questions. .are you going fulltime or just weekends and extended trips? The answer to this makes a huge difference in the rigs that will be recommended. As for the # of axles that will depend on the size and weight of the coach. You dont really get to choose. Buy generally a TH over 35-36 feet will be a triple axel. I'm a dodge guy so I say get a dodge ram 3500 Cummins dually and never look back. Excel makes a luxury full time 5th wheel toy hauler called Wild Cargo. Congrats on your retirement!

chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 12:37 PM   #3
You are going to get lots of opinions on this. Excel, Drv, Spacecraft make high dollar luxury toy haulers. Just guessing, but it doesn't sound like you have much rv'ing experience. Do your research on toy haulers, get a lot of opinions, go to some rv shows, then buy a used one. If you haven't lived in an rv it's really hard to know what floor plan you will like. You may have less choice on floor plans with a used toy hauler but buy one that you think looks liveable to you. Live in it for a year then make your decision on a new one. There are people that purchase new & pretty then hate the floorplan and want to buy something else. The diesel dually IS your best bet for stability, all the manufacturers have higher tow ratings and buy the one that gives you the best deal. We had a 2005 Dodge, purchased a heavier 5th wheel and needed a new truck. We tried to buy a Chevy 3500 but a Ford dealer gave us a better deal. Good luck and keep asking questions, lots of help here and on Escapees.com and rvnet.com. There are also forums for the different manufacturers that allow you to ask questions of actual owners, like www.suitesowners.com (drv), I'm sure Excel has an owners site and Spacecraft. There are lots of toy haulers being manufactured but you'll get an idea of what's best for you, then buy a used one.
Jan & Thomas
2012 Drv Mobile Suite
2012 Ford F350 Super Duty
missourijan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 12:42 PM   #4
Check out the Full House Drv. Possibly the nicest toyhauler on market, excluding custom built. Likely highest in price also. Igor retail. 15-20% discount. Would require the largest truck you can justify. F450 or hdt conversion. If haven't check you can buy a converted hdt hauler for less than a F450 or 350. Beat the ride of them also.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 12:46 PM   #5
Thanks Chief

Starting out just as weekend trips and rally runs till wife reaches her retirement. Buddy just purchased a Vengeance and I have been looking at Raptor,Carbon, and Torque. Love the new Dodge 3500 and they seem to be the most reasonably priced for new.
eggs1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 01:15 PM   #6
My wife and I RV shopped for years. Our decision was that a dually pickup and a big toyhauler fit what we wanted to do. She loves the trailer - I love the truck.

andy29847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 04:03 PM   #7
Originally Posted by glennwest View Post
Check out the Full House Drv...
Do you have a link? They are not listed on DRV's website. Also, I found "No DRV Elite Suites (Toy Hauler) units available" with respect to 2014 models on one dealer's site.
"Do one brave thing today...then run like ****!"
dbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 03:27 PM   #8
Texas Boomers Club
Welcome from another retired LEO. Come on over to the Heartland Owners forum

There you will find many other owners of Heartland toyhaulers, Cyclone, Road Warrior and Torque. They will be glad to answer any questions you might have and you might even get a response from the brand manager.
2011 Heartland Landmark Grand Canyon
JayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 04:42 PM   #9
Originally Posted by eggs1959 View Post
Thanks Chief Starting out just as weekend trips and rally runs till wife reaches her retirement. Buddy just purchased a Vengeance and I have been looking at Raptor,Carbon, and Torque. Love the new Dodge 3500 and they seem to be the most reasonably priced for new.
Eggs.. what ever you decide I'll be there to help you find the right one.
I finally joined the group.
M.Salvatore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 10:08 AM   #10
With so many different possible combinations, it's hard to get it right the first time. Shop around, buy something, but then plan on buying something else within 5 years after you learn just exactly what fits your needs the best.
2007 K-Z 35 Toyhauler, 2006 Chev 2500HD Duramax, 2005 H-D Road King Classic, 2007 Mini-Schnauzer "Scooter"
menoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 03:02 PM   #11
I would say the Excel Wild Cargo is worth a look. Excel competes with the top 5er builders in today's market. Excel 5th wheels are supposed to be insulated well with a good track record.

Fyi - axles for 5th wheels come in 6,000lb, 7,000lb. and 8,000lb capacity. Tires also come in different load ranges. I would look for the best axle / tire combination. The best will be 8,000 axles with 17.5 inch 110lb. air capacity 'H' rated tires.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 09:11 PM   #12
Check in with the toy hauler folks on our toy hauler forum for more input. Maybe the mod can move you over there.
'03 Dodge 2500 Cummins HO 3.73 NV5600 Jacobs
'98 3500 DRW 454 4x4 4.10 crew cab
'97 Park Avanue RK 28' 2 slides
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:31 AM   #13

Ernie, welcome there is life after LEO I've found it. We've been fulltiming for eight years now and just recently purchased our second 5er and waithing on delivery after much research we ordered a Heartland Cyclone 4000 elite. Your doing the right thing by asking questions keep up your search until you fine the right one for you and your needs.

"Happy Trails"
chiefneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:49 AM   #14
My wife and I have a 2013 Ram 3500 Laramie and a 2014 Voltage 3970 toyhauler. We love it. Pm me if you want more info.

2015 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Denali
2014 Voltage 3970 Epic III
MarksFam is offline   Reply With Quote

5th wheel