Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2011, 03:58 PM   #1

best and worse 4 seasons

I am looking to get into a 5th wheel for work and will be in it year round in central kansas. What is the best, good mid range and worst brands for a 4 seasons?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2011, 06:48 PM   #2

This will be our second winter in our Keystone Alpine 3640rl. You can get a new 2011 for about 43k$. No problems down to -11 last year 100 lb of propane every 2 weeks during Jan and Feb and no skirting. Just bought alumnium bubble insulation of ebay to skirt it this winter

Old 09-18-2011, 07:57 PM   #3

Search manufacturers websites for insulation factors for their RV's. Some are poor, some average, and a few have insulation ratings better than most houses. Like anything else, you really do get what you pay for.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 02:31 PM   #4

I have heard that arctic fox makes a very well insulated trailer
hurly23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 03:02 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
How much do you want to spend? If you're looking at mid-range RVs (in terms of MSRP), you might want to consider a used full-time 5th wheel if you have enough tow vehicle to handle it. You'll get a lot of bang for your buck that way, especially in terms of 4-season capabilities.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 08:45 AM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
Check out a Heartland Landmark with the Yeti insulation package. I believe the package may be available on the Bighorn models also. Both are rated for full time use.
Old 09-24-2011, 08:46 AM   #7

Do not know what you consider mid range but if looking for a high quality full time unit that does not need any additions to live in it full time you might consider the Select Suite by DRV. Make sure you get dual pane windows and look for the insulation factors on all you are considering. If ordering DRV will do custom work.
Old 09-24-2011, 08:51 AM   #8

Drv Mobile Suite is a very nice coach. Only thing I'd done different is to get dual pane windows. They need them.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 09:14 AM   #9

I am surprise that no one has mention this site to you. http://www.jrconsumer.com/

They are a consumer review site that is not sponsor by any RV manufacture. It does cost to use this site and you may need to purchase the membership to get the information you are looking for.
They rate RV's and provide information as to what is the best and worst RV's in the industry. I would temper my buying decision based on cost/price value tho.
To me if you are looking for a full time unit that you will winter in Kansas with. Than I would do my home work first.
Opinions are great but most users temper their response based on the buying decisions, that they made in buying their particular unit.
Jim W.
Old 09-24-2011, 09:23 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcumminsw View Post
I am surprise that no one has mention this site to you. http://www.jrconsumer.com/
If one wants to use 3rd party evaluation services, that's certainly their choice. However, I would refer to iRV2's mission statement as follows:

Quote:
Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Although brand favoritism is certainly always a possibility, none of these 3rd party evaluation services buy and live with a particular unit for years (over 7 years in our case). That's where the owners who offer their experience with a particular manufacturer's RV such as we see in threads like this certainly, IMHO, shouldn't be discounted in one's evaluation process.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 09:36 AM   #11

One thing to do is go talk to several different dealers and talk to the salesmen. They are in and out of these trailers everyday. And are always hearing peoples opinion on trailers. I know dealers are evil and are just trying to make a sale. But they do have some knowledge on rvs
hurly23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 01:47 PM   #12

I would never take a salesman word on any "vehicle". All they are concerned with is their profit. Sound cynical, this is true of most people. I am a welder. what I get paid is why I'm a welder. Bottom line is money. We, on the other hand, have no vested interest in making money. We give you honest comments on our experiences with our coaches.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 03:25 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
There are a number of Mid-line 5ers that claim to be 4 season. They add a layer of foil insulation on the belly and a heater under the waste tanks. Compare this to a true 4 season camper and you will see a lot more in the higher dollar units.

If you have enough truck to tow one, I'd look for a used DRV (Doublesuites). You will get a much better value for the money.

ken
Old 09-24-2011, 08:00 PM   #14

Howdy!

If you're in Kansas your close to one of the very best "New Horizon" they build top of the line custom 5er's. You can also find some deals on used ones at thier factory also sometimes.

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon

Tags
heartland