Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2011, 08:16 PM   #1

Red face Best caulking to use around........

Hi:
I'd like to replace the caulking around the half plastic skyline(?),I do not know the proper name for it,it's on the roof,above the bathtub.What can I
use to remove the old one,what should I use to clean it and the name of the product to use to replace ir( I understand that once applied it extend by itself?Many thanks for your help,araucano.
araucano is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2011, 08:40 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to stearn
I think you are thinking of DICOR. The only way I have found to remove the old is with a putty knife being careful while removing. The eternabond tape is another good product for sealing. I also use acetone to clean up the area, before adding new caulk, or tape. Camping World has both. Do a search on line and you may find cheaper prices on eternabond.

Equinox Toad
stearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 08:56 PM   #3

I believe what you are talking about is the skylight. Most people use a ltex based sealant because it is paintable. Make sure you remove all of the existing sealnt first. Then apply the new sealant. After the sealant cures completely some people like to put on a product called Eternabond. It comes in a tape form. Different widths are available. Supposedly the Eternabond will last for a very long time.

Tony G.
Old 10-22-2011, 09:20 PM   #4

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo136 View Post
I believe what you are talking about is the skylight. Most people use a ltex based sealant because it is paintable. Make sure you remove all of the existing sealnt first. Then apply the new sealant. After the sealant cures completely some people like to put on a product called Eternabond. It comes in a tape form. Different widths are available. Supposedly the Eternabond will last for a very long time.

Tony G.
You do NOT want to use latex on EPDM! It would be far safer to use a sealant designed for use on RVs such as Dicor or a sealing tape such as Eternabond.

If you do a search on the RV forums, you will not find most people using latex caulk.
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 09:27 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
One thing that would help us is if you tell us what the year/make/model is of your RV. What our members suggest might depend on what roof you have. We know you have a 5th wheel, because you posted in that Forum, but more specific info would help.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 03:11 AM   #6

A reply to best cauking to use.....

Many thanks for your prompt reply:
I'm sorry I overlooked to specify model of the unit:It's a 2004,5th W,Nash
made by Northwood(25').If I use eternabond,to seal around the skylight,I'll
not be able to ever remove it? Is it that correct?.In the case of the latex caulking is a different story,true?.Once again many thanks for your interest!!!!!araucano
araucano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 04:04 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by araucano View Post
Many thanks for your prompt reply:
I'm sorry I overlooked to specify model of the unit:It's a 2004,5th W,Nash
made by Northwood(25').If I use eternabond,to seal around the skylight,I'll
not be able to ever remove it? Is it that correct?.In the case of the latex caulking is a different story,true?.Once again many thanks for your interest!!!!!araucano
Eternabond is removable but be ready to spend a great deal of time trying to do so.
There was a post not too long ago about being charged 2hrs. extra labor to remove a vent that had been sealed with Eternabond.
I would not recomend latex caulk.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 11:54 AM   #8

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by araucano View Post
...If I use eternabond,to seal around the skylight, I'll not be able to ever remove it? Is it that correct?...
Eternabond will last far longer than the skylight, especially in a sunny climate (the sun is murder on plastic), so you will be faced with having to deal with the Eternabond at some point. If appearance is not a concern, the folks who make Eternabond just recommend cutting the Eternabond around the outside edge of the skylight and dig through the Eternabond to get to each screwhead to remove them, then pry the skylight out. Then just put down some butyl tape around the outside edge of the hole, bed the skylight in it, screw it down, then put more Eternabond over the edge of the skylight and and the old Eternabond.

I personally would not care for that method (looks sloppy and it could cause water to puddle in places) so I would opt to remove it. It can be removed by carefully using a scraper or putty knife (round off the corners to help avoid gouging your roof), perhaps a bit of heat from a hair dryer (don't use too much) and a lot of patience. Eternabond also makes a remover but it will still be time consuming (and messier). Here are some links for more details on how to remove Eternabond.

Roof Leak Repair Products & Sealing Tape | EternaBond®

Alternatively, you could use a sealant like Dicor to seal the edges of the skylight. If the putty or butyl tape originally used to seal the skylight is in good condition, just apply the caulk around the edges. If you suspect the tape is leaking, it would be better to remove the skylight (and replace it if it is showing signs of failing soon such as small cracks) and the old tape. Lay down some new butyl tape (much better than the old style putty tape), bed the skylight in it, screw it down, them clean up the tape that will ooze out the sides. Apply the caulking around the edges of the skylight and over the screwheads.

Whether you use a caulk or use Eternabond depends on how much work you want to do now and how much later. If properly applied, Eternabond will last longer than the skylight. It is easier to apply and you will not have to reseal it again until you remove the skylight for replacement. Using a caulk will allow easier replacement in the future but could involve more work to apply, depending on the condition of the original sealant, and will require inspecting every six months to ensure the seal is still good. The caulk may need to be reapplied a few times during the life of the skylight.
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 02:54 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to stearn
I do not know of a proven fact,-- but I firmly believe in treating my roof atleast once a year. I have had the rubber roof that required cleaning and treating, and now a fiberglass roof that I wax. While doing that I use 303 on all my plastic covers, @ sunlight cover,refer cover, and fantasic fan covers. So far to me it seems to help. Having said that the eternabond tape will most likley out last the plastic,but I believe the plastic covers will last longer being treated.

Equinox Toad
stearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 03:18 PM   #10

Please, please, please educate yourself on both the type of roof you have and the proper way to clean, protect & seal it prior to touching it with anthing. Not all rubber looking roofs are EDPM some are TPO and what works on one can do immediate or latent damage to the other. If in doubt check it out! Or you may be sorry! There is a lot of mis-information out there.
Rapid Robert is offline   Reply With Quote