Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-14-2005, 02:45 AM   #1

Going camping this week end. I'll have electric hookups. Temp supposed to get to 20 or so. Thought I'd run by Wally World and get some kind of small, inexpensive heater.....Any suggestions as to what kind.

And will I still need to run my centrel heat some to keep the pipes from freezing?? I do have a belly pan on the camper.

Thanks,
Vic
Dagwood_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2005, 02:45 AM   #2

Going camping this week end. I'll have electric hookups. Temp supposed to get to 20 or so. Thought I'd run by Wally World and get some kind of small, inexpensive heater.....Any suggestions as to what kind.

And will I still need to run my centrel heat some to keep the pipes from freezing?? I do have a belly pan on the camper.

Thanks,
Vic
Old 12-14-2005, 08:07 AM   #3

I would buy a small one which has three power settings and a fan. Once we had one which also turned back and forth, after short use it started to make noise when turning. Our heater if set on two will keep the temperature at night in cold weather at 55. When it is really cold you will have to use your furnace to bring the temperature up, and the electric heater on three will help keep the temperature up. I do not have a manufacturer to recommend. I shop heat settings, size, and price.
Retired Navy. 2001 Quad Cab 2500 Auto w/4:10 rear end. PRXB Pac Brake. Miller Manufacturing Truck Bed Cover and Rigged to tow a 1995 29' Automate 5th wheel with 1 slide out
cwsoules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 02:25 PM   #4

Probably most important is to make sure that the heater is UL listed, perhaps has ALL of the safety features, etc. The last thing you want is to have the RV go up in flames. NEVER leave an electric (or any other type) heater unattended. Happy Camping!

Wife and kid maybe friends, maybe pets, maybe not, lost look in face,
rhoevinbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 02:58 PM   #5

Well, I forgot, I have an electric fireplace in my camper. Guess that'll work, huh??
Old 12-14-2005, 03:08 PM   #6

Lasko Ceramic Heater. Buy at Wal-Mart 39.00 plus tax. I have two. Thermo-stat control, timers, rotates. UL Listed.

Dave
Old 12-17-2005, 04:48 AM   #7

Being a full-timer, I can tell you my favorite electric heater is the oil filled radiator type. Granted a bit larger, but no noise, and they work very well.

John
Moder2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 05:02 AM   #8

I have one that I picked up at Mennard's for $25. It has 3 settings. 500 watt, 1000 watt and 1500 watt. The 500 watt will keep the trailer warm in the Spring and Fall when there is a chill in the air. Down to about 50 or so. Any colder than that, I will use the larger wattage settings and like that has allready been said, 30 degrees or so requires the furnace.
Jim

SPELL CHECK By IeSpell; Its free and it works.
JimmyDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 07:27 AM   #9

Like Moder2, my vote is for the oil filled radiator type.
No noise.
Old 12-18-2005, 11:03 AM   #10
AKO

Forget cheapest!!!! You want the safest!

Most small heaters have a small fan that is noisy and does not last. The heater must have the fan working or it will overheat and turn off. Even with the fan running the element gets hot enough to instantly ignite a cloth or whatever that might accidentally fall upon it. Likewise, if someone manages to touch the thing there is a risk of burns. Summary: they are actually expensive (they wear out), and dangerous.

I have puchased a few dozen portable electric heaters and will say, the oil-filled radiator is the better choice. It is warm/hot to the touch, but I can place my hand on it for several seconds. It will not ignite fabric (I use it as a drier). I have never had one fail. Am still using the first one I purchased at least 15 years ago.
AKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 06:52 PM   #11

We use both types of heaters. We have the small ceramic heater with fan to heat up the trailer fast and then turn it off. The radiator type is used for the rest of the time for quiet heat and it does a great job if the trailer is already warmed up.
Old 01-12-2006, 06:09 AM   #12

I have 2 of Sams Club Parabolic heaters. One in the main the other in the bedroom. Since there's no fan, there's no noise.

'93 W250 LE Ext Cab CTD
Strawman is offline   Reply With Quote