Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-08-2015, 01:24 PM   #1

Best Cover?

My brand new 5er has been sitting on the side of the house for just a few weeks and already is filthy. Can't leave it like that anymore so going to get a cover and need opinions on which way to go with it. From what have read it seems like the Tyvek material is the best way to go which appears to only be ADCO covers. THey look nice to me but then I read a review that made me think otherwise. What do you all use? For reference, my coach is a 2015 Prime Time Manufacturing Crusader 370 BHQ (40')
millhouse961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2015, 01:36 PM   #2

I use the ADCO. I've had it a long time and it's been great.

Key to lifespan is managing wind. My neighbor has gone through 3 on his Winnebago in the time I've had my one. His is out kind of open and whips itself to death. My cover is 9 years old but isn't on full-time. I'd say it has maybe 4 years of cumulative use.

My coach is sheltered by a garage against the prevailing winds, but interestingly the way the wind swirls off the garage causes my cover to gently billow so if I don't secure it against that I'll find it rotated 20 degrees or more so that on one side the coach is showing some mid rif, and on the other side it's baggy pants.

I don't have any pics of it covered (although come yo think of it I could pass it off as a new Beaver or sumthin' !!!). Nah......

Anyway, I'd not have any qualms personally replacing my ADCO with the same cover down the road.
Civdiv99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 03:28 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Civdiv99 View Post
I use the ADCO. I've had it a long time and it's been great.

Key to lifespan is managing wind. My neighbor has gone through 3 on his Winnebago in the time I've had my one. His is out kind of open and whips itself to death. My cover is 9 years old but isn't on full-time. I'd say it has maybe 4 years of cumulative use.

My coach is sheltered by a garage against the prevailing winds, but interestingly the way the wind swirls off the garage causes my cover to gently billow so if I don't secure it against that I'll find it rotated 20 degrees or more so that on one side the coach is showing some mid rif, and on the other side it's baggy pants.

I don't have any pics of it covered (although come yo think of it I could pass it off as a new Beaver or sumthin' !!!). Nah......

Anyway, I'd not have any qualms personally replacing my ADCO with the same cover down the road.
Thanks!
Old 09-08-2015, 05:44 PM   #4

Follow up - the cover won't keep it from getting dirty in the dusty sense. It will keep your roof from collecting atmospheric debris that floats over from China (or whatever is generally west of you I suppose).

That ultra fine particulate, along with dust and stuff, mixes with rain (acid or otherwise) and proceeds to annoy you to no end as it streaks and stains it's way down the RV. Meanwhile, the sun is turning your vent covers into a fine crumbling remnant of what they once were.

The cover does a great job of preventing the above, so that when you do uncover it, the wash job is a breeze.

And if I had a brand new 40' 5er, i would be covering it right out the gate, and using this discussion to decide what alternatives are good on the chance my 'out the gate' cover choice turned out to be less than ideal.
Old 09-09-2015, 12:54 PM   #5

Quote:
Follow up - the cover won't keep it from getting dirty in the dusty sense. It will keep your roof from collecting atmospheric debris that floats over from China (or whatever is generally west of you I suppose).

That ultra fine particulate, along with dust and stuff, mixes with rain (acid or otherwise) and proceeds to annoy you to no end as it streaks and stains it's way down the RV. Meanwhile, the sun is turning your vent covers into a fine crumbling remnant of what they once were.

The cover does a great job of preventing the above, so that when you do uncover it, the wash job is a breeze.

And if I had a brand new 40' 5er, i would be covering it right out the gate, and using this discussion to decide what alternatives are good on the chance my 'out the gate' cover choice turned out to be less than ideal.
Yeah Im not worried about the dust, its the falling debris, morning dew, etc that makes it look terrible. Im going to order the ADCO now. THanks for the advice!
Old 09-09-2015, 01:06 PM   #6

Just ordered my cover, it will be here in 2 days
Old 09-09-2015, 01:18 PM   #7

When it shows up, maybe start a "how do you folks put these on your 5th wheels" thread.

I know what I do, but I got no slopes on my roof.......
Old 09-10-2015, 05:01 PM   #8

Quote:
When it shows up, maybe start a "how do you folks put these on your 5th wheels" thread.

I know what I do, but I got no slopes on my roof.......
Tell me your process. My roop has a bit of a slope but its no biggy, I can move around up there no prob. My only concern is there is about 10" on 1 side and maybe 4" on the other side where I have it parked so Im wondering if I need to put the cover on before backing it in
Old 09-10-2015, 10:35 PM   #9

I bought a cover for mine and it gets to be a real pain in the butt to pull that thing up onto the roof especially in the Arizona summer so it stays in the box most of the time now. It's a real nice cover custom made for my trailer. I forgot the name of the company but they are out of California. It maybe Cavco not sure.

I marked the front and top of the cover with a marker so I can make sure it is on the very top when stored in the box. When I get the energy and motivation to cover it, I'll put the box with the cover in the rear of the trailer. I'll then pull the front of the cover over my shoulder and climb up the ladder while my wife guides the cover out of the box. After pulling it all the way to the front I'll spread it all out making sure it's properly positioned before dropping the sides down. Then I'll carefully drape the sides down over the sides of the trailer. It's extra tricky when it's windy. Good Luck!
918jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 11:51 PM   #10

So are the Tyvek covers really the best option out there?
Sassafras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 12:43 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by millhouse961 View Post
Tell me your process. My roop has a bit of a slope but its no biggy, I can move around up there no prob. My only concern is there is about 10" on 1 side and maybe 4" on the other side where I have it parked so Im wondering if I need to put the cover on before backing it in
I have a big area of nice grass I lay it out on. With the inside (part that will be against the coach) facing down, I spread it all out. Since the cover is made with zipper panels on the curb side (so you can access the RV while covered), then I don't need to worry about left/right/front/back. It's clear by way of where the panels are oriented. I use the white Tyvek area (the "roof") as a guide. I flip the ends back over onto the laid out cover, then I fold the sides and side panels back over onto the cover. Now I'm left with the roof cover area = the roof Tyvek area, (with the coach side still down). Using a helper (sometimes), I/we fold it lengthwise a couple of times so that it is now a long strip maybe 3' wide, and the part still down toward the grass is the part that goes along the middle of the roof, if we were be doing this on the coach, for example.

Then I roll it up starting at the end that is the front. So for me, if when I laid it out the zipper panels were on the south side, then I roll it up east to west.

Then, I climb up a 12' ladder with it and set it on the roof near the back of the coach. Then I climb up there, center it, and unroll it toward the front. Standing next to what is now the afore-mentioned 3' strip, I flip it open ("unfold") it lengthwise in opposite manner we folded it. Now, at this point is no choice but for me to stand on the cover, being ultra aware of my vents and solar and stuff.

Then it's easy to flip the sides down over the edge and let them fall down the sides as I stand on the cover dead center so I have room if I stumble, although this is not a hasty procedure.

Then staying in the center, and paying attention to the areas I know have vents or fittings, I go up front and toss that over the end of the coach, and then at the back - I gather the material for the back, climb over onto the ladder, and pull enough of the material over with me as I descend.

Then walk around and tweak it and strap it, and zip panels, etc.

Since I do virtually all cover and uncover all by myself, this works for me. But as I said, I'm working on a level "box". It takes me about 15 min, as for me it's a "system" I am comfy with.

Removal is easier. I unzip the curb side panels, un-tuck the front and back, and then I can usually pull it off the street side onto my RV pad. Sometimes if I think it's hung up I will climb my 12' ladder and assist it from roof height at the trouble spot, but for the most part I don't have to get onto the roof for removal.

After removal, I lay it out on the lawn area, inspect, and fold/roll as discussed above. If we uncovered in order to travel, the folded/rolled assy gets 2rubber straps to keep it in shape, and I have a bag I put it in until ready to put back on.
Old 09-14-2015, 09:26 AM   #12

Quote:
I have a big area of nice grass I lay it out on. With the inside (part that will be against the coach) facing down, I spread it all out. Since the cover is made with zipper panels on the curb side (so you can access the RV while covered), then I don't need to worry about left/right/front/back. It's clear by way of where the panels are oriented. I use the white Tyvek area (the "roof") as a guide. I flip the ends back over onto the laid out cover, then I fold the sides and side panels back over onto the cover. Now I'm left with the roof cover area = the roof Tyvek area, (with the coach side still down). Using a helper (sometimes), I/we fold it lengthwise a couple of times so that it is now a long strip maybe 3' wide, and the part still down toward the grass is the part that goes along the middle of the roof, if we were be doing this on the coach, for example.

Then I roll it up starting at the end that is the front. So for me, if when I laid it out the zipper panels were on the south side, then I roll it up east to west.

Then, I climb up a 12' ladder with it and set it on the roof near the back of the coach. Then I climb up there, center it, and unroll it toward the front. Standing next to what is now the afore-mentioned 3' strip, I flip it open ("unfold") it lengthwise in opposite manner we folded it. Now, at this point is no choice but for me to stand on the cover, being ultra aware of my vents and solar and stuff.

Then it's easy to flip the sides down over the edge and let them fall down the sides as I stand on the cover dead center so I have room if I stumble, although this is not a hasty procedure.

Then staying in the center, and paying attention to the areas I know have vents or fittings, I go up front and toss that over the end of the coach, and then at the back - I gather the material for the back, climb over onto the ladder, and pull enough of the material over with me as I descend.

Then walk around and tweak it and strap it, and zip panels, etc.

Since I do virtually all cover and uncover all by myself, this works for me. But as I said, I'm working on a level "box". It takes me about 15 min, as for me it's a "system" I am comfy with.

Removal is easier. I unzip the curb side panels, un-tuck the front and back, and then I can usually pull it off the street side onto my RV pad. Sometimes if I think it's hung up I will climb my 12' ladder and assist it from roof height at the trouble spot, but for the most part I don't have to get onto the roof for removal.

After removal, I lay it out on the lawn area, inspect, and fold/roll as discussed above. If we uncovered in order to travel, the folded/rolled assy gets 2rubber straps to keep it in shape, and I have a bag I put it in until ready to put back on.
THis is a great method, thank you. I am now much more confident in putting it on. Only problem I see is my parking spot it tight and I cant get around both sides of the coach as I snug it all the way up to the fence on the driver side so I will have to put the cover on before I back it in. Looks like the cover wont interfere with tires though so I think we'll be alright. Thanks again!
Old 09-14-2015, 10:17 AM   #13

After reading this, I would rather have a storage spot with a roof. I can't imagine going thru all that each time. Mine is currently stored covered
Old 10-21-2015, 02:19 PM   #14

I'm writing about a roof ONLY cover. Just bought a Adco Tyvek cover at CW.... Not sure I'm keeping it. Looks like reviews are 50/50. My 5ver is 36' and more interested in sun than rain. Cover will be on mostly in the Winter in SoCal.
Lebert is offline   Reply With Quote