Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2011, 01:07 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
mhbell,
You will need to monitor several of the RV forums to acquire a general drift in them that tires originating in China (no matter the mfg name) have more blowout problems than those not made in China. That is what I have gathered from my looking at 4 of the more active forums.
And you say Michelin are made in China? I was not aware of that.
Is there a definitive study that verifies that China-made tires are more prone to problems than US-made tires--?? Don't know that answer.
Stay tuned, and look at the threads that involve tire problems and see how many have 'Chinese' somewhere in the post.
Joe
Michelin is the world leader in tire manufacturing with nearly 19% of the tire market. They operate plants in more than 150 countries including mainland China.

FastEagle

FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2011, 07:49 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastEagle View Post
Michelin is the world leader in tire manufacturing with nearly 19% of the tire market. They operate plants in more than 150 countries including mainland China.

FastEagle
I'm sure they do, but I've never owned any Chinese-manufactured Michelins. The Michelin XPS Ribs I used on a previous 5th wheel were manufactured in Great Britain, IIRC, and the current 17.5" Michelin XTAs I'm using were manufactured in one of Michelin's European facilities - Denmark, I believe, although I'll confirm this when I go out to check the air pressure this weekend.

Rusty

2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 08:41 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Where did you find the GVWR information? If it's posted somewhere on the trailer you may also have a tire placard that would depict the size tires that actually came on the trailer. If you cannot find any such information call the manufacturer and request the tire information for your year and model trailer. While at it also ask them for their recommendations.
Ummm......unfortunately, the RV manufacturers are the ones who installed the all-too-often marginal or inadequate OEM tires to begin with. Personally, I wouldn't put much stock in their tire recommendations, but YMMV.

Rusty
Old 03-19-2011, 10:56 AM   #18

"Michelin is the world leader in tire manufacturing with nearly 19% of the tire market. They operate plants in more than 150 countries including mainland China."

FastEagle

Thanks for that info--I would assume that there are international facilities for many major tire companies. The question I would have next, is: Does Michelin manufacture in China for distribution in the US?
Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 06:12 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
Ummm......unfortunately, the RV manufacturers are the ones who installed the all-too-often marginal or inadequate OEM tires to begin with. Personally, I wouldn't put much stock in their tire recommendations, but YMMV.

Rusty
Are you a member of the DRV forum? Seems like they highly recommend the very tires you use and are in the process of outfitting their models with 8000# axles with Michelin truck trailer tires. Problem is, they have a 62 MPH speed limit.

FastEagle
Old 03-19-2011, 06:30 PM   #20

Quote:
"Michelin is the world leader in tire manufacturing with nearly 19% of the tire market. They operate plants in more than 150 countries including mainland China."

FastEagle

Thanks for that info--I would assume that there are international facilities for many major tire companies. The question I would have next, is: Does Michelin manufacture in China for distribution in the US?
Joe
That might be hard to find out.

Just this past week we purchased a new Toyota. It has Bridgestone Dueler 687 tires. The car was manufactured/assembled in Detroit. Because I know Bridgestone produces a lot of tires in China I was curious about where the ones on our new car came from. Japan!

FastEagle
Old 03-19-2011, 06:58 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Are you a member of the DRV forum? Seems like they highly recommend the very tires you use and are in the process of outfitting their models with 8000# axles with Michelin truck trailer tires. Problem is, they have a 62 MPH speed limit.
I'm aware of that, but 62 MPH happens to correspond to 100 Km/H, the maximum European speed limit for trucks, the market for which the XTA was designed. Coincidence? I think not.

No speed-related tire failures have been reported on the XTAs supplied by Excel, DRV Suites, and retrofitted by many others that I've been able to find, and, yes, I've asked. Consider that these tires are operating far below their rated load, at least in my case, and heat buildup is a result not only of the number of flex cycles per unit of time (speed) but also the intensity of the flex cycles (weight).

If it troubles you, and I've advised others of this, use the corresponding 17.5" Goodyear G114 instead. Trailer Tires and Wheels, where I purchased my tire/wheel package, can also supply tires from other manufacturers as well. With my repeated problems with Goodyears, I chose to cast my lot with the Michelins, and I've not regretted it.

Rusty
Old 03-19-2011, 08:40 PM   #22

The Michelin XTA 17.5" tires that Rusty and I use are performing very well--in using a set of TST monitors, they always run within 5psi of each other and have never shown higher than 136-8d. 62 mph may be the factory recommendation, but they do very well at 65-70. 3 seasons, not a problem.
At 19000lbs + capacity, I have over 500lb/tire extra capacity--that, I feel, is the secret to fewer tire problems on a trailer.
Joe
Old 03-19-2011, 09:08 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Joe,

Since the tires don't carry your entire 17,500(?) lbs GVWR - some 20% or more is carried by the truck as pin weight, even if you were loaded to 17,500 lbs, your axle load would be approximately 17,500 lbs x 80% = 14,000 lbs, or 7,000 lbs/axle, or 3,500 lbs/tire. With a load rating of 4,805 lbs @ 120 PSIG, you would have 1,305 lbs/tire reserve.

Rusty
Old 03-19-2011, 10:26 PM   #24

Brain cramp, Rusty, thanks. Love those tires, they may outlast the trailer...
Joe
Old 03-19-2011, 11:51 PM   #25

Quote:
The Michelin XTA 17.5" tires that Rusty and I use are performing very well--in using a set of TST monitors, they always run within 5psi of each other and have never shown higher than 136-8d. 62 mph may be the factory recommendation, but they do very well at 65-70. 3 seasons, not a problem.
At 19000lbs + capacity, I have over 500lb/tire extra capacity--that, I feel, is the secret to fewer tire problems on a trailer.
Joe
"The Tire and Rim Association, Inc. (TRA) permits operating a 65 MPH rated tire at higher speeds with reduced load and increased inflation. No such permission is granted by TRA for tires with speed ratings below 65 MPH."

The above quote can be found in the current Michelin truck tire service manual (page #9).

References provided below.

Michelin Americas Truck Tires Reference Materials Page

http://www.michelintruck.com/micheli...ad=XTA2 ENERGY

FastEagle

p.s. I do a lot of research and I'm just posting the above information because it's valid. What you do with it, is, of course, up to you.
Old 03-20-2011, 04:13 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Yep, our choice, and I'm fully aware of the blanket industry boilerplate. I researched the XTA when it first hit the U.S. market years ago - in fact, you'll find my comments here on iRV2 if the archives are still intact. Try a search on Michelin XTA if you wish. (On Edit: Here, I'll save you the trouble - start reading at post #130 on THIS thread.)

Despite my initial concerns, operating history has said that the European speed rating hasn't been a problem, but as I said, if it bothers you, buy something else.

Rusty
Old 03-20-2011, 11:55 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
Despite my initial concerns, operating history has said that the European speed rating hasn't been a problem, but as I said, if it bothers you, buy something else.

Rusty
What gave you the idea I was buying? I run on ST tires. I'm just participating in a discussion forum. Unfortunately this part is not helping the OP at all. IMO, my previous post to the OP has the best information for him, given the information he has posted so far. Regardless of the amount of experience one might have with tires, the vehicle manufacturers set the recommended tire pressures on all Original Equipment tires.

NHTSA safety standards say, in part, that when seeking replacement tires to use the same SIZE tires found on the vehicle tire placard or in the owner's manual. For any other replacements they recommend you to THE vehicle manufacturer for their recommendations or to THE tire manufacturer. That THE refers to the OE tires.

FastEagle
Old 03-20-2011, 12:43 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mine was a collective you, not you personally. Your position on this matter is apparent, but understand that it's not universal. I for one refuse to replace tires that have proven to be inadequate with more of the same, and as you've seen in this thread, I'm not alone. Others who have been through similar situations with the Goodyear G614s on heavy 5th wheels have upgraded their tire/wheel packages as well. Even the OEMs have seen the light and are now offering the Michelin XTA as standard or optional equipment, right??

I personally am not overly concerned with what NHTSA bureaucrats think. I'm much more concerned with what works and what demonstrably doesn't. You're certainly free, as I've said numerous times, to make your own decisions on this matter, but so am I and the other forum participants as well. Just as iRV2's Mission Statement at the top of this and every forum page says, I share my knowledge, experience and perspective - it's worth exactly what other forum members pay for it, and each individual can utilize it or disregard it as they choose, just as they can yours.

Rusty