Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-07-2005, 02:18 PM   #15

Texas Boomers Club
ndak42 -

We just happened to have the "floor plans" for the ones you mentioned, although both plans that we have show all the bells and whistles.

First of all, I don't think you'll find a more well-made unit regardess of which one you choose. Both of them have good features and "touches" that you will enjoy.

The question becomes "which one" and that is the hardest! It's like finding a home - unless you build it yourself, you'll never find THE PERFECT ONE made just to your specifications! I hate it, but it's a fact of life.

I gave up some things I truly loved in our 36 ft Jayco to move up to the Mobile Suites. I don't regret making the change, because for every thing I THINK I gave up, I've gained in something else that has pleased me more!

No rig is perfect (unless you custom build it) so I can't recommend one over the other. Only you and the Mrs will have to make that choice based on finances, room vs handling, personal needs, etc.

Whichever one you decide on - let us know! You won't regret either one!

Sandy
National Rally Wagonmaster
Life is sweet when the TEXAS BOOMERS meet!
Madame Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2005, 04:08 AM   #16

Texas Boomers Club
If I read the brochures correctly, you actually have a pretty unique opportunity in choosing between the 2004 and 2005. The 2004 (if it's like ours) uses electric/mechanical (EM) front jacks, EM rear stabilizer jacks and EM slideout drives. The 2005 uses electric/hydraulic power for all these functions. Each has its positive and negative aspects, but if you have a preference, here's a chance to select the one you want.

Insofar as the rest of the decision is concerned, to me it seems to come down to a choice of space and one model year newer versus appointments (options) and ease of use in more primitive campgrounds since the smaller 2004 unit has more options. Only you know the relative importance you put on each of these, so it's ultimately your money and your choice.

Whichever you get, I hope you enjoy it for many happy years of RVing!

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 05:39 AM   #17

Rusty
The 36RE3 has a GVWR of over 16,500 ... just curious on how it tows with your vehicle as it would 'seem' a little overweight

Andrea
C Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 05:58 AM   #18

Texas Boomers Club
One minor correction - our 2004 36RE3 has a 16,000 lb GVWR.

Yep, I had to resign from the "weight police" in August 2004. They ripped off my stripes, badge, took my calculator and everything. It was really a sad ceremony!!

Actually, the Dodge handles it very well, but power was never a concern (my "not quite stock" truck makes 347 BHP and 762 lb-ft at the rear wheels, per a Dynojet 246C chassis dyno - with the 15% drivetrain loss rule-of-thumb, that equates to approximately 408 BHP and 896 lb-ft at the flywheel). Rather, I was more concerned about overheating, stopping, turning, ride, etc. The results of these are:

1. We've pulled in 105 degF ambient temps, and the truck still runs at its normal 195 degF that it always has when towing.

2. The rig stops better than our previous 5th wheel. I credit the larger, self-adjusting brakes (no one-wheel lockup under hard stops like I had before) and the Jordan Ultima 2020 controller.

3. In turns, I can definitely tell this 5th wheel is heavier. I've just learned to dial things back a notch and leave my SCCA competition license at home.

4. The truck/trailer ride better than our previous 5th wheel. Much less fore-and-aft "chucking", less vertical motion, etc. I attribute this to (a.) the trailer's Mor-Ryde equalizers and (b.) the fact that the truck is no longer bouncing off the overload springs like it was with our previous 5th wheel.

No, I don't recommend towing overweight. All of our RVing life, however, we've been in the "bigger RV/bigger truck/bigger RV/bigger truck" cycle - just a fact of life. Right now, we have the bigger RV. I'll be moving to a bigger truck - if Dodge doesn't come out with the much anticipated 4500/5500 series MegaCab with the 6.7L or 8.3L Cummins, I'll probably have to build a MDT around a Peterbilt 330/335 or Freightliner FL60/70.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote