Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2012, 02:30 AM   #15

TX, Google and I don't understand "spring for a paint". I went with a Yamaha 2000 cause it was 2db quieter and lighter than the Honda and I got a really good deal, dropped shipped from the factory.

Here's Bob... HandyBob's Blog

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2012, 04:33 AM   #16

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeatherTodd View Post
Cant go wrong with the hondas.
I have been a HONDA customer since 1969, and couldn't agree more
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 10:11 AM   #17

Howdy!

If you are going to be stationary in a RV park most of the time I would not spend the money on a factory installed generator. I prefer portable generators. We have a Robin Subaru 3200 which I have installed on a slideout under our 5er hitch area bay. I would recommend traveling for awhile and then decide your generator needs. Personally I would opt to start with a Honda 2000 and if you decide you need more power you can add another one. But this is all based on you power needs off grid or loss of power (watching TV, microwave, charging batteries, or if needed running AC......)

If your going to spend time boondocking (Walmart parking or off the grid) I would spend the money on a good quality inverter / battery charger and battery bank (2, 4,or 6 batteries etc...) than a installed generator and go with the Honda 2000 to keep then charged as needed. You could also add solar to this later if you so decide to.

"Happy trails"
chiefneon
chiefneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 01:25 PM   #18

we have a 2011 cardinal 3450rl fifth wheel with an onan 5500 lp genset. it does use more fuel than a gasoline powered generator,however the exhaust fumes are not nearly as noticeable as gas gen when doing things out side and no need to carry gas cans and it runs both air conditioners. main problem is that when it has run for a few hours and the 30lb tank gets to about 50% propane starts to be drawn from both lp tanks and the auto changeover valve is working. when the other bottle hits about 50% the gen will shutdown and not restart due to not enough propane pressure. i wish the dealer would have told me about that before i signed up. i am going to carry a spare 40lb bottle this spring and hopefully that will be enough lp to keep me going for a long weekend of dry camping using the air conditioners.
rugersdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 02:20 PM   #19

What size is the change-over regulator? I put either a 12 or 13,000 BTU one on mine and never had that problem. I got it from propane dealer and gave my receipts to the guy that bought my 5er, so I don't know the model # of the regulator.

Old 01-29-2012, 06:03 PM   #20

I couldn't find anything regarding the size, initially the trailer came with another regulator, and my dealer sent me a basic Camco switchover regulator to replace it with. I didn't realize there were different sizes available. I have been in contact with 3 different RV dealers who told me that I need bigger bottles. No one mentioned anything about using a larger switchover regulator, in fact, they were all a little baffled by my problem. Do you remember what company your purchased your regulator from & did it require larger hoses from the tanks to the regulator? Thanks for your input, I really appreciate it!
rugersdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 06:37 PM   #21

i have a P3000watt enverter\gen, mounts in the bus, have over 100hr, its quiet. small and has been trouble free, runs a/c, if you paint it red you would think its on honda eu3000, here in canada, eu3000 sells for$ 2765. i paid $1175. also the p3000 has command start!! and it work great. I can be in side and just point and start!! I figure for the price and and how good this is built, you cant go to wrong.

just my 2 cents
gbstewart
gbstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 07:02 PM   #22

Mine came with two tanks and two small regulators. One for the stove and furnace, and one for the generator. I went to a local propane dealer and he looked in his books and found one that would work. If I remember right it was $104 back in 2000.

Call a propane dealer and ask if they can get one. I'm not sure how big of one you need, but I think mine was 12-13,000 BTU. It was about 7" in diameter. I put a T in the output and ran the original hoses into it.

Old 02-04-2012, 06:49 AM   #23

Solar!

Another vote for solar...Handy Bob's site is awesome.

Tags
generator