Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2012, 08:05 PM   #1

Best Generator for Full Time 5"er living??

Could I get some input about the best type of generator to have installed in a 5th wheel for full time living in a future purchase. It will be stationary in an rv park most of the time, but I want to get educated before hand.
1. What size would be needed??? 2. How many would I need??? 3. Do generators come standard w/ a 5th wheel purchase or is that an option added?? I want it for back up should the electricity go out. What ever education could be provided would be much appreciated...from a Navy Vet..

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2012, 10:05 PM   #2

Most fivers that come from the factory have an Onan generator installed. They have several output ranges, ours is a 5500watt Marquis Gold that has performed well. But be aware they are propane hogs, if you expect to use one a lot. Ours will run both ACs and some small appliances (hair dryer, etc) at same time, but not ACs/microwave/elec water heater. If not using the ACs, everything else electrical can be run at same time.
Joe

'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:15 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscarthecat View Post
Could I get some input about the best type of generator to have installed in a 5th wheel for full time living in a future purchase. It will be stationary in an rv park most of the time, but I want to get educated before hand. I see absolutely no reason you need a generator except to waste about 5K dollars
1. What size would be needed??? What do YOU want a generator do? 2. How many would I need??? NONE? 3. Do generators come standard w/ a 5th wheel purchase or is that an option added?? NO, they are an option and unless you always have a full propane tank it could be just a big dead weight. I want it for back up should the electricity go out. Extremely rare instance. You would be far better off to spend a couple hundred dollars on a couple of extra batteries for the rare occasion you :might: be out of power. What ever education could be provided would be much appreciated...from a Navy Vet..
For a stationary situation you are really foolish to spend money for a generator that might be needed sometime in the future. Owning a built in generator is very expensive. It must be exercised monthly, the oil and filter needs changed regularly, it is just a lot of money. If you really insist on a generator go buy yourself a 2000 watt Honda generator. A thousand dollars is a lot cheaper than the 5K you will spend on a built in.
450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 12:10 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
For a stationary situation you are really foolish to spend money for a generator that might be needed sometime in the future. Owning a built in generator is very expensive. It must be exercised monthly, the oil and filter needs changed regularly, it is just a lot of money. If you really insist on a generator go buy yourself a 2000 watt Honda generator. A thousand dollars is a lot cheaper than the 5K you will spend on a built in.
We use a Champion 4000 for our emergency genset. $300.00 is alot cheaper than the thousand you'll spend on a Honda.

Regards, Hamshog
Old 01-23-2012, 12:45 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I don't know if you would want to order one with the 5th wheel. That could be an expensive endeavor. Running on LP to boot. If I were you I would research a portable Honda generator. I doubt you we need it often but then one never knows. Size would be dependent on your appliances on board with the A/C unit or units using the most power. If you have your 5th picked out and know what equipment your having on board just calculate the wattage useage and size the generator output to match. Keep in mind that not everything in the trailer will be operating all at the same time.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 04:54 PM   #6

Onboard or portable is a personal decision. There is the ease of op with an on board. We presently have two Hondas and they do the trick, but a pain to drag out of the in-bed tool box, then you have to let them cool before puting them back. With onboard you loose most of your front storage. So you have to look at all possible options and decide what's best for you. We're planning on upgrading to a new rig by Fall and thinking very hard about the onboard gen, just for the convenience when and if you need it.
Happy hunting
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LT Ext Cab 4x4 Duramax/Allison, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Disc Brakes, Mor/ryde IS, GY 17.5" H tires, 5.5K Onan, Dual ACs, auto level, auto sat dish, stacked washer/dryer, residential fridge, King sleep number. Michelle & Ann
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 08:39 PM   #7

Hamshog--How do like the Champion genset? The price seems too-good-to-be-true when compared to their Honda/Yamaha competition. I've seen them around hard at work, but wonder if they end up with a "you get what you pay for" lifespan. Thanks.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:30 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Cant go wrong with the hondas. (eu2000i or 3000i)

You will appreciate the "quiet". If money were an issue... Kipor makes a similar quality genny (3000 watt) that has push button start. Usually about $500 cheaper than Hondas.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:16 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltydog View Post
Hamshog--How do like the Champion genset? The price seems too-good-to-be-true when compared to their Honda/Yamaha competition. I've seen them around hard at work, but wonder if they end up with a "you get what you pay for" lifespan. Thanks.
Hey Saltydog,

I like my Champion genset!! It's got close to 150 hours on it, mainly from boondocking, with maybe 8 to 10 hours of emergency use so far. It's 4 years old now, and nothing wrong yet!!

It runs much more than a Honda/Yamy,etc. 2000watt genset does.

Regards, Hamshog
Old 01-24-2012, 09:27 AM   #10

I would suggest either the Kipor 3000 or the Honda 3000. They are extremely quit and can run for a long time in economy mode. They weigh about 135 lbs so they can be a little heavy to move around all the time. For about $900 dollars you can leave it secure in an enclosed container that you can mount on the back of your fiver or in the bed of your truck. Hapco Manufacturing makes the box. It has a built in fan to keep the generator from over heating. This is still by far cheaper than spending the money for a built in generator. Still a 3000 watt won't run two air conditioners at the same time. It will run a 13500 or a 15000 air conditioner. Just make sure you don't run the microwave when the air conditioner is on or the other way around. If you don't plan on using the generator often, I would suggest spending about 26.00 for a battery tender. It will make the generator's battery last much longer. It does have a pull cord so it won't affect a dead battery. Just my two cents. If you have a secure RV park just keep it under the 5er and use a cable lock to secure it to one of your landing gears.
ridahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 08:05 PM   #11

Champion Generator

I'll pass along some thoughts on the Champion generator. I bought one for use on our (now sold pull behind) for lots of boondocking at high altitudes. It was pretty much useless. It would start to cycle from fast to slow and finally run so slow it would lose power and then shut down completely. No matter what we tried to figure it out, it just wouldn't keep running.

When we returned to "civilization" I called the factory. "Well sir, we never tested our generators at 10,000 feet before, so we don't know". I returned it and bought a Yamaha 2000 and it runs like a champ. I will admit that at my house (5000 ft) it worked just fine.

Just a thought if you ever plan on using the Champion at really high altitudes.
Old 01-25-2012, 01:05 AM   #12

If it comes with two LP tanks; one for the the generator and one for the rest, get a large auto changer-over regulator. My 5er came with two tanks so bought a 12,000 BTU auto change-over regulator for about $104. If one tank ran out, it would switch to the other tank. No fun if one runs out and you still have gas in the other. That was the first mod I did to my 5er.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 07:24 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
In my opinion it is well worth the money to spring for a paint of the Honda EU200i generators. They are quiet and reliable. They also are a manageable size that can be lifed by a normal person.

Ken
Old 01-26-2012, 02:36 AM   #14

Completely different idea:solar. I just installed 390 watts that will easily charge my batteries even in winter sun. No noise, no gas, now worries. Total cost was $1700 professionally installed but not by the shysters. Works wonderfully.

Google HandyBob. Read his words. Understand your power requirements and then consider solar. Solar was designed originally to handle battery charging and is thus perfect for our RVs.

Yes, I did drink the Kool-Aid. It works.

Thanks,

Kelly

kellylipp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator