RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-11-2019, 07:49 AM   #57

ROAD SIDE JACKING:
I use the ramp on one wheel (traileraid, rapid jack or lynx blocks-you pick). This is quick and gets me 90% there.

From that point, I use a 12T bottle jack on lynx blocks on the frame near the flat tire. It takes maybe 3 pumps of the jack to lift the wheel enough to change.

MAINTENANCE IN MY STORAGE AREA
I use two of these on a few layers of 4x4 cribbing (Or lynx blocks). They are combo jacks/jackstands
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180126_162559207.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	223.7 KB
ID:	234703  

bjlakatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2019, 08:23 AM   #58

I will put a 2X4 between the axle and camper frame, bottle jack under spring pad, a dozen pumps, set a loose jack stand under the axle for safety. I'm all set to change tire or grease a bearing.
It don't get much faster than that.

grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 08:44 AM   #59

I just use the jack that came with my truck, it does just fine.
WYO George is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 04:12 PM   #60

Pit stop fast!

Blowouts don’t ever happen at a convenient time, so I planned for getting back on the road ASAP. We pull a 40’ 5th wheel and have experienced 2 blowouts. 😖 I have a long box Duramax, so have room for a toolbox at front of bed. I installed a Viair onboard air compressor in box and purchased a pneumatic/hydraulic bottle jack and air gun. Our last blowout took me just under 20 minutes to completely change out and ready to roll. My wife was still on phone trying to get AAA dispatched. 🙄 Saved a claim there! 👍🏼 I also installed a 5000 watt inverter in box, which can be utilized as an emergency generator or run misc power tools.
56cruser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 04:52 PM   #61

We tried the ramping up the good wheel and that worked partially. the best was a 25,000 lb jack from Harbor freight (or your favorite vendor) and using blocks, in our case Lynx Bolcks and jacking up the frame enough to get the tire changed.
RoadHobos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 05:19 PM   #62

Another 20 ton bottle jack owner here. Would not leave the storage yard without it. Also carry plenty of lumber for every conceivable need. Jack point of choice is under bottom spring leaf.
Triangle Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 06:15 PM   #63

[QUOTE=T Jack point of choice is under bottom spring leaf.[/QUOTE]

I agree that the best point for a jack is under the spring. However, when sitting on the side of a road changing a tire, the quickest jack spot to get the tire in the air works best for me.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 08:12 PM   #64

I used 2 short 4x4's and a 12" 2x6. Backed the fifth wheel up on the 2x which lifted the front blown tire up. My 17 yr old daughter had half the lug nuts off using my battery powered impact before I could get back there to help. We were back on the road in 10 minutes. Tore the snot outa the wheel well and brake wiring.
Rufus1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 08:28 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadEyePie View Post
My RV will come with a spare tire, but I doubt it comes with a jack. What's the best jack for changing a tire on the FW? And also, is there a right place to place the jack? Frame or axle? It seems like a pretty good distance from the ground to the frame, so not all jacks will reach. I've got a couple of 20T bottle jacks but i'd have to build a platform 12" high to reach the axle or frame. Or should I just forget changing the tire myself and purchase a roadside assistance plan?

I don't even carry a jack for our 37' 5th wheel. I carry 3 short pieces of 2X8's.
one is 12" long, one is 8" long, & the 3rd is 5" long. Just stack them in front of or behind the tire on the opposite axle as the flat. Ease up on them with the good tire, & they will raise the flat off the ground. Safer for you, & no danger of damaging an axle. You really put a lot of pressure on the axle when you jack on it.
That's how I do brake & bearing maintenance on ours.
maskren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 08:35 AM   #66

There's the same pressure using a jack under the spring perch as there is from driving over a 1.5" bump in the road. When you think about leverage points the tires center is outward of the springs creating which creates a fulcrum point at the springs. The spring acts as the leverage point. When a tire is being pushed up from road irregularities, the spring is the resistance point. Jacking at the leverage point puts less pressure on the axle.

When you use blocks under one tire then all the weight of that side of the trailer is on only one tire. When using a jack under the spring perch you still have one tire on the ground supporting 1/2 of the weight while the jacked up tire is supporting the other 1/2.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 09:48 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
There's the same pressure using a jack under the spring perch as there is from driving over a 1.5" bump in the road. When you think about leverage points the tires center is outward of the springs creating which creates a fulcrum point at the springs. The spring acts as the leverage point. When a tire is being pushed up from road irregularities, the spring is the resistance point. Jacking at the leverage point puts less pressure on the axle.

When you use blocks under one tire then all the weight of that side of the trailer is on only one tire. When using a jack under the spring perch you still have one tire on the ground supporting 1/2 of the weight while the jacked up tire is supporting the other 1/2.

Correct! all you are really doing is articulating the suspension on the one axle.

Taking the weight off the suspension with the levelers and then jacking the unloaded axle is even easier.
Old 02-14-2019, 09:19 AM   #68

changing a tire

Last time I had a flat on my 5th wheel, I just rolled the good tire up on the ramps I use for leveling and violá, no need for a jack.
pathvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 04:43 PM   #69

NEVER jack on the axle tube!
Under the spring perch of frame.
Old 02-14-2019, 05:25 PM   #70

Ford Super Duty Owner
Anderson levelers might work.

edfgrf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fifth wheel