RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2019, 02:51 PM   #1

Best Jack for Fifth Wheel

My RV will come with a spare tire, but I doubt it comes with a jack. What's the best jack for changing a tire on the FW? And also, is there a right place to place the jack? Frame or axle? It seems like a pretty good distance from the ground to the frame, so not all jacks will reach. I've got a couple of 20T bottle jacks but i'd have to build a platform 12" high to reach the axle or frame. Or should I just forget changing the tire myself and purchase a roadside assistance plan?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2019, 03:05 PM   #2

Your purchase of the fiver should also include a roadside assistance plan, I wouldn't leave home without one.

nclauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 03:11 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nclauser View Post
Your purchase of the fiver should also include a roadside assistance plan, I wouldn't leave home without one.
Well I'm pretty sure a roadside assistance plan is not included. I know they can be purchased, but sometimes you can change a tire and be long gone way before you can go through roadside assistance and have anybody show up.
Old 01-24-2019, 03:14 PM   #4

The roadside assistance folks have used large professional jacks to raise the 5er. Did the job very well, and super fast, but obviously not ideal to carry with you everywhere. I've seen them place the jack on the axel, but i'm not sure if that was appropriate. I wasn't in much of a position to complain or question them as they rescued me on the side of I-10.

What i've seen them use was similar to this:

https://www.amazon.com/Liftmaster-He...fessional+jack
Old 01-24-2019, 03:17 PM   #5

Get a good road side assistance plan. It is worth the few dollars to have that piece of mind. We have a policy that they will send 2 units if we need a tow. One for the truck and the other for the RV, and they will take us to a close campground and get our unit off the road.

Plus for us it was also the size of our unit, The Road Warrior weighs in at 16K empty. When we travel right now it is around 18,900. But going full time starting in June 2019 I think the weight will increase to around 19600 since we will be carrying more stuff.
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 03:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loraura View Post
The roadside assistance folks have used large professional jacks to raise the 5er. Did the job very well, and super fast, but obviously not ideal to carry with you everywhere. I've seen them place the jack on the axel, but i'm not sure if that was appropriate. I wasn't in much of a position to complain or question them as they rescued me on the side of I-10.

What i've seen them use was similar to this:

https://www.amazon.com/Liftmaster-He...fessional+jack
That's exactly why I would like to have the option and the right tool to do it myself, which is to prevent someone who may not know if it's ok to jack the axle or not, but does it anyway because maybe they don't know any better. BUT....the forum may convince me to just leave the jack at home and hope I have cell phone service. Which I don't by the way, where I live. PLUS....I may want to do some maintenance when I'm home.
Old 01-24-2019, 03:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadEyePie View Post
My RV will come with a spare tire, but I doubt it comes with a jack. What's the best jack for changing a tire on the FW? And also, is there a right place to place the jack? Frame or axle? It seems like a pretty good distance from the ground to the frame, so not all jacks will reach. I've got a couple of 20T bottle jacks but i'd have to build a platform 12" high to reach the axle or frame. Or should I just forget changing the tire myself and purchase a roadside assistance plan?
This would be a good idea: https://safejacks.com/collections/fr...on-rv-jack-kit
Daycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 03:39 PM   #8

A road side assistance plan is fine if you have cell coverage or don't mind sitting there doing nothing for what could be hours.
A bottle jack or tire aide are the best tools for changing a tire. That and a good 1/2" breaker bar with a pipe extension. Having those items are the best backup plan.

I use a bottle jack and place in directly under the spring perch. You only need to jack the tire a couple inches to remove it. No different than driving over a 2" bump in the road.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 03:42 PM   #9

Get a 8 or 10 ton bottle jack and jack under the axle, or spring perch, if able to fit it under.

Your picking up 1 wheel 2" , not the whole thing.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 04:32 PM   #10

Ditto on the bottle jack under the spring perch, also carry some 12" lengths of 4x4, 2x8, etc.
Tightwadted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 04:54 PM   #11

I carry a 20 ton bottle jack, and made a ramp to pull trailer up on just enough to change the bad one out....either back up or go forward...I'm not waiting or pay'n someone for something I can do myself...
Old 01-24-2019, 05:01 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Yep, 20T bottle jack from Northern Tool. I used it many times on my 5th wheel for packing bearings, fixing brakes, etc. One wheel at a time. I still carry it in the DP but haven't had the need for it. I will call RA instead.
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 05:08 PM   #13

I have an 8 ton bottle jack but then I don't use worthless Chinese tires. I have Michelins on my trailer and have never had a tire issue.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 05:23 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3600 View Post
I have an 8 ton bottle jack but then I don't use worthless Chinese tires. I have Michelins on my trailer and have never had a tire issue.
Sell your bottle jack on ebay and you'll have a flat the next day, if you're luck is anything like mine.

Tags
fifth wheel