Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-04-2018, 11:51 AM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wundertaker View Post
Jayco employees are paid based on the number of units they put out in a day...the more units, the more money they make. What does that tell you?

No thanks!

That is good to know. Thanks for the info.
Chris n Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2018, 01:10 PM   #86

Quote:
Jayco employees are paid based on the number of units they put out in a day...the more units, the more money they make. What does that tell you?

No thanks!
I believe thats the way the industry works as a whole. They don't pay those workers $20 and hour. They get a commission to make it look like they're making more.
I recently read an article where an ex employee pretty much told it like it was. He was worked to death making RV's. They have a time line to keep and if you fall behind you cause the rest to fall behind. Thus the crappy quality.
There are some MFG that don't adhere to the quota principle. I don't know which ones but I'm guessing it's not the ones that make the majority of TT's and 5th wheels.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 01:45 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
I believe thats the way the industry works as a whole. They don't pay those workers $20 and hour. They get a commission to make it look like they're making more.
I recently read an article where an ex employee pretty much told it like it was. He was worked to death making RV's. They have a time line to keep and if you fall behind you cause the rest to fall behind. Thus the crappy quality.
There are some MFG that don't adhere to the quota principle. I don't know which ones but I'm guessing it's not the ones that make the majority of TT's and 5th wheels.
I'll go with that! If they don't get something installed just right...oh well...send it down the line...somebody else will fix it.......MAYBE

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 06:41 AM   #88

I will add again to look at the River Stone and their Legacy line also, they only try to get one or maybe two finished units out per day, build time is around 2 weeks and that is not including the full body paint work. Now I am not trying to say they are perfect ( none are ) just that they take a little more time and pride in their build. We are going on our 2nd year in ours, semi full time, mostly all summer and fall and have had very little issues come up, most I took care of myself and also received parts from the manufacture.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 07:36 AM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramn4ver View Post
Robbiels is correct. Most warranties are only a year now. Unless you buy a extended warranty. I've been in our Rushmore 4 years now. Never a question from our extended warranty company.
I'm not trying to start and argument. I was just passing on what I heard. I surely would not tell a mfg how much time I was spending in my RV. Merely and FYI that was passed on to me. by the dealership as a comparison of other brands.

The warranty on the Structure of our Grand Design is 3 yrs. Other items are 1 yr with the exception of the appliances that carry their own warranties of which some are 2 yrs.
geerhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 08:07 AM   #90

Evergreen Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblr View Post
I will add again to look at the River Stone and their Legacy line also, they only try to get one or maybe two finished units out per day, build time is around 2 weeks and that is not including the full body paint work. Now I am not trying to say they are perfect ( none are ) just that they take a little more time and pride in their build. We are going on our 2nd year in ours, semi full time, mostly all summer and fall and have had very little issues come up, most I took care of myself and also received parts from the manufacture.
Does not sound any better than many other brands. Always reading how a person got the parts and repaired themselves. This saves the company tons of warranty $$ which otherwise would be paid to the dealer. Why are we not reimbursed at least a little bit?? I myself have done this. Once with a window crank that broke and one self leveling ram from Lippert.
schrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 12:14 PM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrod View Post
Does not sound any better than many other brands. Always reading how a person got the parts and repaired themselves. This saves the company tons of warranty $$ which otherwise would be paid to the dealer. Why are we not reimbursed at least a little bit?? I myself have done this. Once with a window crank that broke and one self leveling ram from Lippert.
And I will guarantee you that when "we" repair our own RV's with/without Manufacturer parts that it's REPAIRED BETTER/HIGHER QUALITY JOB than if the dealer/repair center does it! I may be a lot slower and not as knowledgeable, however IT'S DONE RIGHT!!!

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 08:20 PM   #92

KZ RV Club
Quote:
And I will guarantee you that when "we" repair our own RV's with/without Manufacturer parts that it's REPAIRED BETTER/HIGHER QUALITY JOB than if the dealer/repair center does it! I may be a lot slower and not as knowledgeable, however IT'S DONE RIGHT!!!
+1 Dealer = last resort
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 08:31 PM   #93

Do you have to do repairs on your house ? I does not move go down crappy roads , stopped suddenly ,etc,etc . Some are built like crap and with the labor shortage in the Build area more problems will arise. The best 5th wheel is the one that gives you the least amount of problems no matter the brand or who makes it. Hopefully that will be yours.
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 08:39 PM   #94

I get with jackknife is saying. If you paid attention too much what others are saying about there's and you pick something that is to somebody else's specs and needs you may never be happy with what you fit. Adept there look at fit look at Finish and pick what you like you don't go pick a car cuz it's pretty in red! I just bought my first fifth wheel last month and I spent a lot of time looking and searching and finding the right one. Get out there find your perfect RV and take your family with you so they can love it as much as you do and you pick the right one.
robbiels7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 08:51 PM   #95

Sorry about that last post stupid talk to text!Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2018-01-05-22-49-51.png
Views:	155
Size:	156.2 KB
ID:	187888
robbiels7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 11:10 PM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacknife View Post
Do you have to do repairs on your house ? I does not move go down crappy roads , stopped suddenly ,etc,etc . Some are built like crap and with the labor shortage in the Build area more problems will arise. The best 5th wheel is the one that gives you the least amount of problems no matter the brand or who makes it. Hopefully that will be yours.
Spot on.
Old 01-06-2018, 01:56 AM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrod View Post
You are correct I never said they were any better just that when needed they were more help then what I have read of other manufactures, I was just adding info to help the OP along in his decision. Plus as stated below with your own tender loving care the repair is done better as YOU the owner takes more pride and concern fixing it correctly.

Quote:
I 2nd your thoughts on it being a better repair because it is YOUR unit and not like a dealer just trying to get it out the door and HOPE the reapir is done right.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 04:30 PM   #98

I would much rather the MFG send me parts, which they have done twice, rather than drive 55 miles to the nearest dealer. By the time I hitch up, get to the dealer, unhitch, drive back home, wait, drive back up, rehitch, drive back home, unhitch, I could do most all repairs my self and save $ in diesel.

Tags
5th wheel, luxe