Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2017, 12:14 PM   #1

Best made fifth-wheels??

We've been traveling extensively for 15 years and are just starting to look at a newer RV to replace our 2002 36.5 ft Keystone Montana. It has an upstairs living room that just doesn't work for us anymore. Until you start losing mobility, you don't realize how many trips you make between the LR and kitchen every day. We've thought about going to a Class A MH but love our 2004 1/2 Dodge Laramie Cummins 3500 (quiet, comfortable and 20 MPG towing) so will stick to a 5th wheel.

We've been pretty happy with the quality of ours and don't want to get stuck with a lemon. We're almost full timers who have gone coast to coast and border to border a number of times. We need a good, solid RV with lots of storage that can stand up to extensive use. We're looking for a quality 2012-2016 RV. I'd like to narrow our search to a couple of good quality manufacturers or RV's to avoid. I'd like to hear from a variety of owners who either love or hate their RV's and why. THANKS!!!!
TravelFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2017, 12:21 PM   #2

Forest River makes a lot and have a bunch of different lines
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 01:35 PM   #3

A friend just picked up a Forest River Riverstone. He's seems real happy with it so far. He's fulltiming in it.
My self, I have a 2013 Crossroads Jefferson. All I can say is stay away from Crossroads product...
ramn4ver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 01:40 PM   #4

Bob Caldwell and ramn4ver:

Thanks for your comments. I was a little worried about Forest River. I've been looking online and am seeing a LOT of almost new ones for sale. It sent up a red flag for me. Also really appreciate your feedback on Crossroads. THANKS!
TravelFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 02:31 PM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Hope you find the perfect 5er for your needs! Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 02:44 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
I love my Cedar Creek Silverback 29ik. Well built, great features and good support from the dealer and Forest River.
BuzzWolfAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 03:46 PM   #7

Our 12 year old Cedar Creek has been fantastic. If I were replacing it today, and after looking at the two on my short list it would be another CC. Second choice would be a Arctic Fox. There are a lot of nice fivers out there, and your going to get lots of suggestions. Grand Design also get a lot of positive comments. But I have not looked at them, so no comments.
Old 10-23-2017, 06:08 PM   #8

All manufacturers have their low end, mid level and high end. Probably all of the mass produced high end 5th wheels are about same.

I have always liked the custom builders like New Horizon, Space Craft and Continental (Forks RV).

Also Peterson built some very nice Excel units before they went out of business just a few years ago.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 09:01 PM   #9

I have the same truck as you and wouldn't want to part with it although I have never come close to 20 MPG towing. My truck is a dually and the gross combined weight rating is 21,000#. Our truck weighs 8,000# with the two of us, a full tank and the hitch. This leaves 13,000# for a fifth wheel. The well built brands that you will see posted here generally run heavy and to tow one you many need to give up some length. I wish it weren't the case.

Good luck with your search.
CecilD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 02:20 AM   #10

We have a Mobile Suites by DRV. DRV has the best frame in the industry - 15" stacked rectangular tube. The suspension is MORryde IS independent suspension, brakes are EOH disc. When you're towing your house down the road in a hurricane during an earth quake, things like frame and suspension are important. The walls are 3 1/4". The coach is very well insulated. The Mobile Suites is our 3rd 5th wheel and while not perfect, it is by far the best of the three.

Happy trails,
Old 10-24-2017, 05:08 AM   #11

My plans are coming together. Full timing in our Rushmore. Vacationing in our new to us, 2001 27' SunnyBrook. The SunnyBrook is built so solid. My sweetheart just finish her first try at upholstery. She did a awesome job. Will giving it our first vacation run next month.
ramn4ver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 05:40 AM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Best made 5ver?

If you were ok with a older model, there isn't anything better built and quality build than a King of the Road or a Teton

If it's new you want my first choice is New Horizon

Second place is DRV.
Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 07:24 AM   #13

Keep hearing good things about the Grand Design models, especially the upper end Solitude series. I would give them a look.
Dropthejacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 07:37 AM   #14

From what I have seen thus far, DRV Suites and Grand Design.
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, luxe