Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2013, 11:44 PM   #15

In our park we have mostly full timers and not one unit is a unit mentioned above. Everyone is smaller or equal to our unit. And my 3/4 ton TV can tow them all. In my 20 years of 5th wheel ownership the only problem has been the appliances, tires and roof maintenance. And my truck is stready when towing.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2013, 08:33 AM   #16

If the picture you have is your tow rig I have my doubts about your statement. The truck in that picture has the back way too far down. Nose of truck up in front. Seriously overloaded pin.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:21 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennwest View Post
If the picture you have is your tow rig I have my doubts about your statement. The truck in that picture has the back way too far down. Nose of truck up in front. Seriously overloaded pin.
Hey, but the salesman told him there would be no problem....

Ken
Old 01-14-2013, 06:34 PM   #18

Everyone has a different opinion of what quality means to them. For some when they hang a cabinet on the wall, it has to be level, and true, securely fastened to the studs, ect. For another person they can hold it against the wall, shoot afew random screws in through the sheetrock and be happy....in each persons mind, they accomplished the same goal of hanging the cabinet. We have alittle 2008 Keystone Copper Canyon that serves us well for the intended purpose. Would I like a Excel, Redwood, NuWa or other high end mfg. Sure we would. For our family to camp on the weekends, this unit works fine, we bought it used and I can buy several more as our needs and wants change for what one new hi-end coach costs. If we were living on the road more, and my pocketbook dictated I could afford it, then a hi-end coach would be a far better choice. From what I've seen/heard one can have troubles no matter what brand you buy, it's how they resolve the problem that really matters.
Trent McCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:07 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennwest View Post
For your info the truck drops 2 inches on the rear when loading the unit and is 1/2 lower then the front. The trailer is setup to be 2 inches low so when lifted of the truck its level. Been towing that way for over 20 years. Easier set at camp.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:58 AM   #20

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sshur View Post
08 dodge cummins big trans, jake, 3/4 ton , beast , generally haul a 20ft Lund tyee tandem axle behind camper, long rig...
May not handle the Excel especially if you haul extra fuel. I had to upgrade from my Duramax 3500 srw to a dually when I bought it. As I recall my rear truck axle weighed around 8K on the scale when hooked up . I think your rear axle is rated at less than 6K if it's a srw. However, I'm sure all of the higher end units are heavy.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:55 AM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sshur View Post
We have had a 28' terry 5th wheel for 8-9 years and are thinking to upgrade to a larger 5th wheel, somewhere in the 32-36" range, just for trips, not long term, any opinions as to the best/top of the line manufacturers out there,thanks.
steve
For your scenario above, Forest River makes some very nice units. I happen to own a Cardinal 3150. I would buy another one if in your scenario.
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:51 AM   #22

I just bought a Crossroads Sunset Trail 5er. They to me seem the best as far as construction, floor plans, warranties and overall comfort. We love ours. In fact, I used to have a TT, but towing this is actually easier!
Old 01-31-2013, 01:25 PM   #23

Forest River Owners Club
Carolina Campers
We are kinda of partial to our Cedar Creek!
Old 02-01-2013, 01:08 PM   #24

We bought 2013 big country 3251, 37 ft, very nice layout and insulation
Old 02-01-2013, 01:53 PM   #25

Hi

As far as the cost $$$$ goes. I purchased on the advice of a friend that I thought I could trust. Never ever do that.

I now have close to $100.000 in a trailer that has a sticker price of $67,000. Very poor construction and even poorer product support. I never received any warranty on the costly items to repair (broken frame, cargo floor fell out etc).

When I finally gave up trying to get warranty on the unit I took it to an RV repair company that didn’t sell new RV’s. They initially said they wouldn’t work on a “low end” trailer. When they found out who I got their name from they softened up and explained that they do a lot of insurance work and the people that commonly have this type of trailer are mortgaged into them so bad they cant afford the deductible or afford the cost of the repair for rot an so on that insurance will not cover.

We looked at the Lifestyle and the Peterson Industries (excel) and found both of them to have excellent quality. The Lifestyle doesn’t have any Lippert products on it. As half of my repairs were because Lippert has poor quality that sounded real good to me.

The cost of a new Lifestyle was about $10,000. Less than I have in my present unit.

3665RE
Old 02-08-2013, 03:11 PM   #26

Send a message via Skype™ to ROMANICHEL
Quote:
Originally Posted by EP_PeteRN View Post
I just bought a Crossroads Sunset Trail 5er. They to me seem the best as far as construction, floor plans, warranties and overall comfort. We love ours. In fact, I used to have a TT, but towing this is actually easier!
We also bought a CrossRoads but the Cruiser model, nice design, good construction with polar isolation.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:19 PM   #27

We bought a 2005 Montana last year and enjoy every moment of it. The benefit of buying used is to find one that has all of your wants and needs with your floor plan.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:26 AM   #28

Best quality 5th wheel manufactuers

I did years of research trying to find a well made well insulated 5th wheel, my husband prefers cold mountain areas to go to on our yearly vacations. We found the Excel by Petersen is the best we have looked at. The have a less expensive lighter line the Winslow which from what I have seen are very similar. Used units are very hard to find people snap them up quickly and unless you are wanting to get a bigger rig most keep theirs for years.
We wanted to get a Cameo also but they don't make them anymore or we couldn't find any and the excel was comparable with them.
Anyway that is my opinion we are very happy with our 34' excel.
We have a GMC 2500 and it pulls it without a problem, but I might recommend the air bags be installed on your truck, the difference in pulling is amazing!

Tags
quality