Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2014, 06:39 PM   #29

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forks RV/ Continental Coach

http://www.forksrv.com/continental/showroom2.php

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2014, 08:09 PM   #30

Evergreen Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman7 View Post
Forks RV/ Continental Coach

Continental Coach Showroom

If you got the money.......I second that!! They make an excellent coach, very thought out and completely custom!!

Old 08-21-2014, 08:28 PM   #31

Thor Owners Club
Just spent the last 30 minutes with DW looking at these rigs...What CG can you get into with rigs this size?
Old 08-21-2014, 08:40 PM   #32

Mid Atlantic Campers
I have a 42' toy hauler now and have not had any issues. Ive been in some tight spots but we always make it work. It's not that difficult to find sites that are suited to large rigs.
Old 08-21-2014, 09:02 PM   #33

Evergreen Owners Club
I noticed last year alot of CG's were adding larger spaces to accommodate the larger rigs people are buying nowadays so it might not be that bad and if they have large enough drives to maneuver the coach and you can overhang the rear past the stop on the pad, I would think you'd be fine. Just check ahead of time.
Old 08-21-2014, 09:29 PM   #34

I would like to take this thread toward different issues. Livin Lite makes aluminum lightweight campers. I have a custom - made Camplite 21-BHS on order. Their 5ers have lightweight steel frames and rubber roofs, but other than that, they are all aluminum. This appealed to my husband and I. Leaks can ruin floors and laminate walls, but a leak in a Camplite 5er will mean you will have wet sheets or possibly clothing.

It all depends upon what you want. Floor plans are also important. A big advantage to Livin Lite is that they are willing to customize a unit so that you can get exactly what you want. My Camplite is ordered wit options from their list, but I also included some things that are not on their list at all. The company said that they would do it. Of course, I am paying for this.

Visit livinlite.com to look at their 5ers and see if this is what you want.
Old 08-22-2014, 01:54 AM   #35

Best "quality built" 5th wheel?

Your question was for the "best quality" fiver.

We have full-timed for nearly 20 years and have been in heavy-duty, full-time units.

In my opinion, the top three are Forks RV/Continental Coach, New Horizons and Spacecraft. Each of these manufacturers builds to a different level of quality and customer satisfaction than other mufacturers. They are much heavier, much more complicated and much more expensive than DRV, Excell, trilogy, Lifestyle, etc.

After touring factories and speaking to other owners, we felt that Continental Coach would best suit out needs and goals. We have been 110% satisfied in every way. Quality, fit and finish are similar to a million dollar Prevost bus conversion--no cheap RV parts, just residential quality components.

We previously had a custom Travel Supreme--and were very happy, but the CC product is light years beyond TS.

For example, the entire coach runs on diesel--no propane for heat or hot water. No more propane bottles. Had it in -26 degrees this past January and stayed nice and toasty.
Old 08-22-2014, 04:46 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog lover View Post
I would like to take this thread toward different issues. Livin Lite makes aluminum lightweight campers. I have a custom - made Camplite 21-BHS on order. Their 5ers have lightweight steel frames and rubber roofs, but other than that, they are all aluminum. This appealed to my husband and I. Leaks can ruin floors and laminate walls, but a leak in a Camplite 5er will mean you will have wet sheets or possibly clothing.

It all depends upon what you want. Floor plans are also important. A big advantage to Livin Lite is that they are willing to customize a unit so that you can get exactly what you want. My Camplite is ordered wit options from their list, but I also included some things that are not on their list at all. The company said that they would do it. Of course, I am paying for this.

Visit livinlite.com to look at their 5ers and see if this is what you want.
I looked at them. Interesting. Way too small for our full timers tastes
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 11:27 AM   #37

What's interesting is of all the CG's we've been in around Oregon, CA and NV, we hardly ever see camp hosts in anything other than mid to high range 5'ers. I can't remember the time when we have seen a camp host in a top end like a New Horizon, Excell, etc. They are usually in Montana's, or similar priced ($60,000+) 5'ers. I can see where it would be nice to have the very best when FT. But out on the road we constantly see more FT'ers in 5'ers other than NH, Excell, etc. I think it really depends on your budget and your needs and wants. Anything's doable I suppose.
Old 08-22-2014, 11:28 AM   #38

Evergreen Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfiver View Post
Your question was for the "best quality" fiver.

We have full-timed for nearly 20 years and have been in heavy-duty, full-time units.

In my opinion, the top three are Forks RV/Continental Coach, New Horizons and Spacecraft. Each of these manufacturers builds to a different level of quality and customer satisfaction than other mufacturers. They are much heavier, much more complicated and much more expensive than DRV, Excell, trilogy, Lifestyle, etc.

After touring factories and speaking to other owners, we felt that Continental Coach would best suit out needs and goals. We have been 110% satisfied in every way. Quality, fit and finish are similar to a million dollar Prevost bus conversion--no cheap RV parts, just residential quality components.

We previously had a custom Travel Supreme--and were very happy, but the CC product is light years beyond TS.

For example, the entire coach runs on diesel--no propane for heat or hot water. No more propane bottles. Had it in -26 degrees this past January and stayed nice and toasty.

No propane? Now that would be awsome! I just can't afford one, or the rig to pull it, lol. But they are definitely a top end, first class coach built on a whole other level than most RV's.
Old 08-22-2014, 04:33 PM   #39

"or the rig to pull it LOL"

Dont dismiss your ability to afford a HTD to pull any rig,mine cost less then a F350 and will out last any two of them.
Big advantage is with the HTD truck in your possession ,rigs that others turn down as 'too big' are possible for you.
Happened to us, trailer no one could buy remained unsold for a long time until we showed interest ,got a 4 year old Newmar that was never used/sold - new - we got to take all the plastic off it and for 2/3 off new price.
dealer knew if we walked it could be a long time before another came along.
There are massive/heavy trailers out there and limited people who can buy even if they wanted to.
hone eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 05:29 PM   #40

Mid Atlantic Campers
My tow vehicle of choice will be a toter home. It will give the family the ability to spread out and my mother her own place when we travel together.
Old 08-24-2014, 05:28 AM   #41

Towing a basic Heartland BC for 5 years from sea to sea. 39 ft of FT unit, sure can't beat the service we have. Both economical and easy to tow with our 9 year old F250 diesel.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:27 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorbandErin View Post
Thanks everyone for your replies! You've given us a taste of what else is out there. Couple of clarifications (knew you all would catch on to the not being "too specific" in original request). IF $$ weren't an issue, we'd definitely look at the Spacecraft, New Horizons, Continental, but alas those are just more then we need (ha!) and personally believe 2 axles are plenty! (loved looking at their websites tho.) We're not full-timers, we're retired and go out for a couple of months at a time (in warmer weather climates). And we're not getting a new bigger truck (says DW - so whatever comes next after the Bay Hill will have to do with our new Ford. Maybe the better question should've been - what the most reliable 5'er out there? Thanks again for all your responses - we love reading them and then researching!
We love - absolutely LOVE our Rockwood.

Saw a couple post that Forest River / Rockwood were not "reliable" - we would respectfully disagree.

What we WOULD agree with is that *Dealers* are not reliable! Your #1 consideration should be finding a dealer you can form a personal relationship with because this is the person you will be taking all your troubles to (and believe me it makes no difference if you have a Coleman popup or a AllegroBus you WILL have issues - it is just the way the industry is). We found a absolute GEM of a Dealer - Dandy RV in Anniston, AL. Secondary to them is Reed RV in Huntsville, AL.

Back to the Rockwood. It is great for the two of us, and we can easily accomodate "House Guests" with the airbed in the LR sofa. Since we picked the unit up last November, we have had 1issue that was repaired immediately and to our satisfaction (it was a component failure - BR A/C "died" and was replaced under warranty).

Another cool thing about Forest River. Every year in August, Forest River sponsors the Forest River Owner's Group Rally in Goshen IN. During this week-long rally, Forest River offers *FREE* Maintenance on ANYTHING that is wrong with your Forest River product - in or OUT of warranty new or 10 year old rig!

We went this year and were amazed! Roofs replaced, Sides replaced, slide outs replaced - Amazing.

Techs came by our rig and I told them of a self-inflicted damage to my steps (I had bent the support bar when a Mod I had done malfunctoned). NO PROBLEM - they replaced the steps at no cost. Looked at our unit and asked permission to check the seals and recaulk as needed. Went inside and replaced the water filter for free, heard a hum in our refer and said that was caused by a defective fan and pulled the refer and replaced the fan with a fan twice the size. Adjusted Lubed and maintained all 3 slides, replaced the Left taillight because I had mentioned it had a intermittent short. Replaced the seal on th shower door because they said "some" of the seals in 2014 models had been found to be defective from the shower manufacturer.

So $375/couple for a week of camping and entertainment, breakfast every day, 4 dinners (one was Prime Rib!) AND free Repairs? Forest River has me for life!

BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, quality, reliable