Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2014, 09:38 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by hone eagle View Post
"or the rig to pull it LOL"

Dont dismiss your ability to afford a HTD to pull any rig,mine cost less then a F350 and will out last any two of them.
Big advantage is with the HTD truck in your possession ,rigs that others turn down as 'too big' are possible for you.
Happened to us, trailer no one could buy remained unsold for a long time until we showed interest ,got a 4 year old Newmar that was never used/sold - new - we got to take all the plastic off it and for 2/3 off new price.
dealer knew if we walked it could be a long time before another came along.
There are massive/heavy trailers out there and limited people who can buy even if they wanted to.
At some point I would think a cost-benefit analysis would start pushing you toward a Class A rather than a huge 5er with a beaster TV, especially if you are a half or most-timer. The point of travel (IMHO) is to camp somewhere and tour the region. Better to do that in a 36MPG Toad than in a F450 - or more TV

Then again some good camping friends of ours found THE 5er solution: they have a Volvo Semi TV and made a custom mount on the back with ramps so they could take their SmartCar along

BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2014, 10:02 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
What's interesting is of all the CG's we've been in around Oregon, CA and NV, we hardly ever see camp hosts in anything other than mid to high range 5'ers. I can't remember the time when we have seen a camp host in a top end like a New Horizon, Excell, etc. They are usually in Montana's, or similar priced ($60,000+) 5'ers. I can see where it would be nice to have the very best when FT. But out on the road we constantly see more FT'ers in 5'ers other than NH, Excell, etc. I think it really depends on your budget and your needs and wants. Anything's doable I suppose.
The reason you do not see Camp Hosts in Continental's or other high end rigs is because folks with THAT sort of $$$ stay in RV Resorts and do not need or want to Camp Host

Speaking of which...have any of you ever toured or visited one of the Uber Resorts? We were invited to a rig for a party (NO we were not staying at the resort - just nearby) All I can say is O.M.G.!! Monaco's, Newmars, and Allergobus were the low-end rigs parked there and of course bunches of Prevosts and Tuscanys. 2 slots down from the "Party" was a Foretravel (that's a $1M+ coach!)

Old 08-31-2014, 08:52 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post
The reason you do not see Camp Hosts in Continental's or other high end rigs is because folks with THAT sort of $$$ stay in RV Resorts and do not need or want to Camp Host

That is not totally true. I would consider out New Horizons a pretty nice coach. We workamp, and have been campground hosts at Arches NP. We do own lots in a high end resort, but we are rarely there. They are more investments than our "home". Have not been in 4 years now. I know a lot of New Horizons owners. Most do not fall into the category you describe....but some do..... for sure.
Old 09-02-2014, 09:37 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorbandErin View Post
Help us find the best quality built 5'er out there - 36' (+/-)! That's it, nothing too hard or complicated.

Our 2014 Evergreen Bay Hill (36') has had way too many issues (slides stop working (won't go in all the way ugh!), water heater not functioning, fresh water tank deformed and not useable). Problems are ridiculous! We're looking for a more reliable, quality built 5'er that gets us to where we enjoy the trip, rather then dread it. Make my day - give us some ideas! Thanks everyone!

PS - $$ is not an issue. We have 2014 F350 SRW.
Wow, This is helpful to me. I saw a Bayhill last week and it certainly did picque my interest. Since then I have been seeing many owners that know better.

So no one feels that the issues can be corrected?

For how much are you selling that RV?
Old 09-03-2014, 10:35 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Mayer View Post
That is not totally true. I would consider out New Horizons a pretty nice coach. We workamp, and have been campground hosts at Arches NP. We do own lots in a high end resort, but we are rarely there. They are more investments than our "home". Have not been in 4 years now. I know a lot of New Horizons owners. Most do not fall into the category you describe....but some do..... for sure.
Jack & Danielle,

Apologies at my poor attempt at humor! I did not mean to disparage anyone I was (seriously!) just trying to crack a (poorly crafted) joke!

Old 09-03-2014, 11:54 AM   #48

Heck, I guess my Jayco is not even in the same class as all these. I am on my third Jayco Eagle and have the 2014 33.5RETS. One thing I like about the Jayco is the 2 year warranty, and I think it looks great and serves my purpose well. Thats what counts.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:46 PM   #49

Quality 5th wheel

K-Star in post #24 is dead on the mark. I have an 01 40' Travel Supreme and have basically upgraded just about everything starting with hubs, wheels and tires. Add to that as time went on, new floors, led lighting, new and bigger island cabinet on slides. Retro 50's residential fridge and red dinette, 2500 watt inverter, eternabond taped the roof, new decals on truck as well as trailer, plus others.

Sure the trailer weighs 22k, but it is dragged around with a Volvo 730. TS also made a 36' unit.

It has been said if you have a good hull, everything else can be repaired or replaced.

There is a TS repair facility in Elkhart as well as a TS parts supply house. The parts supply house was bought out by a gent in Texas. I just dealt with them on a bedroom slide motor...$400.

My rig was just evaluated or appraised, there are a number of 40' ers around for 19-25k$

Many of the features of the new trailers van be done as upgrades on the older units.
Old 09-04-2014, 01:28 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by namusmc65 View Post
Heck, I guess my Jayco is not even in the same class as all these. I am on my third Jayco Eagle and have the 2014 33.5RETS. One thing I like about the Jayco is the 2 year warranty, and I think it looks great and serves my purpose well. Thats what counts.
Our same logic for staying with Forest River...

This is our third FR Product we like the 2 year warranty as well - even better, if you attend their Annual Rally in Goshen, IN, Forest River will repair ANYTHING wrong with your unit for FREE (and yes, anything! This year we saw 2 units get completely new slides, 1 unit was taken back to the factory for a new roof and another had a whole side replaced -- leak in the roof had destroyed the frame & wood to the point FR thought it unsafe and replaced the side!)

Now THAT is customer service!

Old 09-04-2014, 05:38 PM   #51

Actually, what Scout said above is very good advice if you like the process of upgrading a coach. Get a quality older coach and renovate it. Something in the early 2000 era is what I would look for. Just be sure that there is not serious water damage. That way you get exactly what you want for less money than a new custom coach.
Old 05-03-2015, 09:44 PM   #52

I can vouche for Dynamax Trilogy 3850D...in our third year of ownership, and other than small-ish things (auto leveler problem and a thermostat failure), the rig is fantastic!

Tags
5th wheel, quality, reliable