Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2016, 12:06 PM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Best Quality Manufacture

We're looking for a 5th Wheel for vacations of a month or two at a time.
Just my wife and I, the kids and grandkids are all scattered across the US, so no bunkhouses.
I want to stay in the 30-34 ft. range give or take a few inches. That way we can get into smaller state and national parks easy.
Not going to spend a fortune, $30, 000 to $40, 000 (end price after 27-32% off MSRP) give or take a grand...less is better.
TWO A/Cs is a must (or 50 amp 2nd A/C ready).

I will pull it with a newer Ford F250 or Ram 2500 (maybe a GMC/Chevy) diesel.

Which manufacture and brand does it right? Is it Forest River Wildcat...Prime Time Crusader...Keystone Cougar..."anything made by Grand Design" or who?

Please give us an idea of your top 5...in order!

That way I can see which ones float to the top and what sinks to the bottom!

There's a ton of knowledge and past experiences on this forum so please give us your thoughts. THANK YOU!
Batten54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2016, 12:22 PM   #2

I'm partial to mine, Shasta Phoenix. Don't have any experience with the others but you'll find the Phoenix fits all the criteria you mentioned with some haggling with the dealer. The 32RE comes in at just under 34 feet, nice floor plan and good bang for the buck. Build quality for mine has been excellent we have had very minimal problems. I drove 389 miles one way to buy mine, every mile was worth it. Local FR dealer services me with no problem even though they don't sell Shasta another plus.
Clicker1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 01:35 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
anything made by Grand Design
Old 08-14-2016, 01:42 PM   #4

I am trading in my 2013 Evergreen Bay Hill, 36 ft, 4 point auto level, dishwasher. We liked this unit but wanted some items I could not add. Good solid unit easy to pull.

Wishing you the best and Good Luck
Old 08-14-2016, 01:45 PM   #5

If you can find one, take a look at the VanLeigh 325RL (34'7"). We have the 365RL and VanLeigh's quality and customer service rate high marks in both areas.
Lanny1763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 02:52 PM   #6

For your budget and ability to be towed by a 3/4 ton truck, you won't beat one of the Reflection model trailers by Grand Design.

I've had their bunkhouse model that's 36' with 4 slides for 2 years, and it's been nothing but enjoyable. The quality of our 323BHS has been great, and we never required any warranty work--knock on wood.

Grand Design's customer service is simply in a class of their own at the present time. They monitor numerous RV forums, and it's not unheard for the owners to personally handle problems directly.

I'm also hearing nice things about Vanleigh trailers that are made 40 miles from me. The Tiffins of Allegro motor homes put their son/grandson in business making mid line/priced fifth wheels and they're an upstart operation with a very small production and few dealers right now.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 02:53 PM   #7

Top five:
1. Arctic Fox
2. Glacier Peak
3. Fox River
4. Don't really have a #4. See #5.
5. any very well cared for 2-4 year old that is in great shape at a good price.

Be sure to have more tow vehicle than you need. That will make your journey much more pleasant.
MtCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 08:02 AM   #8

Most everyone is partial to the one they own. Your question is difficult. I would recommend that you go to the "Owners forums" of the ones you're interested in and do some research. They're all pretty much a crap shoot. Good luck.
WagonMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 08:29 AM   #9

While I'm sure the Van Leigh is a beautiful unit why recommend a fiver that is priced at over 60 grand? He originally said his budget was 30-40 thousand.
Clicker1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 05:42 PM   #10

If anything increase your tow vehicle to a RAM 3500, it's the Pin Weight on the rear axle that's the issue with a 2500 not the towing capacity. You don't have to get a DRW you can get a SRW and will be very happy with the truck and the towing.

oh, and I hear Heartland Bighorn are the best!
KerrTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 05:49 PM   #11

Your budget and quality are not really related. At $30K-$40K there will be a little difference between the brands but if you want quality you will have to up your budget on a new trailer.

Also, keep in mind ALL the big names use the same components. Most of them use the same frames as well. The difference is the R-value of the exterior, cabinetry, layout, and CUSTOMER SERVICE.

Good Luck
Old 08-16-2016, 12:23 PM   #12

Have you considered a quality used 5th wheel like NuWa HitchHiker, Carriage, Excel, Travel Supreme? All these manufactures no longer are producing 5th wheels but they made quality full time units. I can speak about NuWa as they have morphed into a dealer, Kansas RV Center. When they stopped production in 2013, they kept their very popular service center open and honored all warranty claims. They take used Nuwa 5th wheels and refurbish them before sale along with selling other brand units. You will definitely get more for your money with something like that. You want to see a quality service center, then Kansas RV has it.
jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 04:11 PM   #13

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpharley View Post
Have you considered a quality used 5th wheel like NuWa HitchHiker, Carriage, Excel, Travel Supreme? All these manufactures no longer are producing 5th wheels but they made quality full time units. I can speak about NuWa as they have morphed into a dealer, Kansas RV Center. When they stopped production in 2013, they kept their very popular service center open and honored all warranty claims. They take used Nuwa 5th wheels and refurbish them before sale along with selling other brand units. You will definitely get more for your money with something like that. You want to see a quality service center, then Kansas RV has it.
I think the ones you mentioned are heavy. Just want something small (30-32ft) and light for vacations for me and my wife.
Batten54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 08:10 PM   #14

Texas Boomers Club
If you want a new trailer, check out the Heartland North Trail or Sundance. They have shorter lengths and are light weight. I don't have one myself but I know people that do and they are very happy with them.

Tags
quality