Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2014, 08:41 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
My general opinion is to avoid anything made by Lippert...LCI. This includes frames and slide systems. But they have made inroads with lots of manufacturers.

With that said, having had both hydraulic slide systems and mechanical gear driven systems, my preference is for the mechanical gear driven system. My first preference is to have no slides, thus no problems with them.

The Redwood is a showy trailer, but you will be disappointed after your King of The Road as for build quality.

Ken
X2

Warren Buffet buys all kinds of companies, the he places highly experienced people in those companies products to "oversee them" and "improve them" if needed. I don't belive the Lipperts follow the same model.
As was said before, any mechanical system can fail, hydraulic or gear driven. I had two fifths with hydraulic rooms, etc, did repairs on both, nothing out of ordinary, leaks, chafed hydraulic line, adjustment. I like the speed of actuation in hydrailics, gear systems take forever.
I had three fifths, two of high quality and a (new) junker in between. Once you owned a high quality fifth like a KOR, you will never be happy with a glitzy "value junker". It will be like an arranged marriage where she looks good in a wedding dress and a full vail. Once you take that dress and vail off, you will discover buck teeth, halitosis and body hair. And a fact that with that marriage "that bride" will be around for a while.
My suggestion would be that you send you current "bride" to a plastic surgeon, do a chin lift and maybe a little botox. Remember "divorces" can be very expensive.

hjs
hjsdds is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2014, 09:01 PM   #16

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I would have said Newmar but they are out of the 5ver business.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 10:26 PM   #17

DRV is about the only high quality 5ther left in production, excluding custom units. Even they don't compare to Teton and some of the others that are no longer built.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 10:35 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
You need a Newmar 5th wheel after all Newmar invented the first slides.
If you want to find more on their slides look in QT's 1 & 2.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 02:10 PM   #19

But Newmar is no longer in the 5th wheel business.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 05:54 PM   #20

Thor Owners Club
No Argument From Me.

You will get no argument from me on quality of the Teton and Newmar's They were all in our top picks. I think it was a Torey Pine with the L shaped sofa, RE that was a top pick.

I am left to wonder IF... Any of these greats will come back?

As more FT take to the road, demands for quality are increasing also.
Economic growth on the rise.
More baby boomers retiring and looking for this lifestyle like us.
We certainly want to be able to select from Quality build units.
Our King is fantastic, I think a referb to add a pantry would be one step and the next would be full body paint job.
Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 11:15 AM   #21

Angry Slide outs

Have a 2012 Brookstone 366. The bedroom slide rolls on two little rollers maybe an inch and a quarter in diameter and three inches long. Just a piece of crap, been in the shop three times headed for number 4 as one is not turning. Have already had the outside seals on the slide outs replaced. Soft rubber seals are pinched between the slide out and the hard rubber part of the seal that holds it on. Not rocket science but Forest River products seem to still be using them.
Frankwh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 05:48 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kro1957 View Post
You will get no argument from me on quality of the Teton and Newmar's They were all in our top picks. I think it was a Torey Pine with the L shaped sofa, RE that was a top pick.

I am left to wonder IF... Any of these greats will come back?

As more FT take to the road, demands for quality are increasing also.
Economic growth on the rise.
More baby boomers retiring and looking for this lifestyle like us.
We certainly want to be able to select from Quality build units.
Our King is fantastic, I think a referb to add a pantry would be one step and the next would be full body paint job.
Sounds like you have a nice unit now-I would consider refurbing it. I think you would be $$$$ ahead. Good luck
sk734 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, slide out