Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-30-2013, 08:32 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Best Slide out Drive Systems in new 5r?

Of the 3 5rs we have owned, were either Hydraulic or Mechanical Motor driven systems.

Never had a lick of issues with the Mechanical Motor driven systems.

The Hydraulic however did develop a "wet" no drip in line that seemed to never be controlled 100%. Granted it was not severe and only required maintenance a couple times.

The DW really liked that Redwood we looked at but one of my concerns are all those hydro lines running all over the place. Just makes me a little concerned.

DW likes what's inside the rig. I look at axle, wt, tires, insulation, build, mechanics of it all.

Think our next rig we will tour as many plants as possible to see first hand that process. What are your thoughts on the slide out drive systems in new 5r's?

Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2013, 08:38 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My general opinion is to avoid anything made by Lippert...LCI. This includes frames and slide systems. But they have made inroads with lots of manufacturers.

With that said, having had both hydraulic slide systems and mechanical gear driven systems, my preference is for the mechanical gear driven system. My first preference is to have no slides, thus no problems with them.

The Redwood is a showy trailer, but you will be disappointed after your King of The Road as for build quality.

Ken

Old 12-30-2013, 09:31 AM   #3

Problems with slide outs are rare really. I have had 0 problems with the DRV and it is hydraulic. 4.5 years
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 09:35 AM   #4

I think either mechanical or hydraulic works fine. What I believe is the problem is the quality of the installation of the hydraulic system.
Have you considered remodeling the King?
rollondown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 10:35 AM   #5

Had a 36' HH. CE. IN less than 5 mo. Of purchase , both motors on the
bedroom slide and the awning motor went out. Took it straight to the factory
For rep. Was fixed right but a pain.
All can have problems.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:06 AM   #6

Anything mechanical can fail. It isn't common though.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
Old 12-30-2013, 11:09 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mechanical systems can fail gears, shear pins and motors. Hydraulic systems can fail hoses, seals, pumps and motors. I don't think having either is a deal-breaker; just a matter of preferences.

I would look strongly at sinking some $$$ in your KR - it's a better-built 5th wheel than a Redwood.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 11:31 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
My general opinion is to avoid anything made by Lippert...LCI. This includes frames and slide systems. But they have made inroads with lots of manufacturers.

With that said, having had both hydraulic slide systems and mechanical gear driven systems, my preference is for the mechanical gear driven system. My first preference is to have no slides, thus no problems with them.

The Redwood is a showy trailer, but you will be disappointed after your King of The Road as for build quality.

Ken
Almost impossible to avoid Lippert. They make pretty much make all the slide out mechanisms.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:43 AM   #9

I agree. Redwood would be a large step down from your KOR. It is basically another Erhart mass produced unit. I looked hard at them as I was in market for larger unit. We found this Teton and honestly I have found nothing on market today to compete with it. Custom built units may but that is over most people's budget.
Old 12-30-2013, 01:25 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
I totally agree that we have found nothing built like our King. It is in excellent shape!! As clean as the day it was new. If we had to change any thing would be to add more cabinet space in the kitchen and install a dishwasher, really that is all.

I don't know if a kitchen remodel is worth the cost. Would certainly want the woodwork to match up. An island might be a good option. When I cut the hole in SW for the dryer vent, I saved the plug from it. You should see it in comparison to the Redwood. Ours is nearly double. Yes it is built very well and comfortable.
Old 12-30-2013, 01:41 PM   #11

The Redwood would not be as comfortable, lacking in insulation, etc. My intentions with this Teton, although it is as good as new now, is to remodel it when time comes unless I get rich and order a custom unit. lol. Units made to these standards, if you keep the water out, will last long time. Yes, appliances will need replacing, but that not large expense compared to a new unit. DRV's are good units. Teton is better, KOA better. I selling my DRV Mobile Suites and the Teton is upgrade. Teton is 3 years older also. I know of several who have repainted, remodeled their Teton and wouldn't part with it for anything current. You know the condition of your KOA. I believe you will be happier to fix it up and keep it if structurally sound. These are my opinions though. God bless
Old 12-30-2013, 02:09 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Somewhere on the forum a while ago a guy posted photo's of his MH paint job referb. I think it was in TX? Man did they do a fantastic job on it!!! I will have to see if I can find it again and where that shop was at. The price might be high but that paint job was great. Any one else see it?
Old 12-30-2013, 03:33 PM   #13

If you google "Plug It Right" Dutch and Di remolded their Carriage, and it looks great.
rollondown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 07:35 AM   #14

Thor Owners Club
I finally found the referb photos by Saint...take a look

I will see if this will work, if not you can see photos done on this referb job under Just Conversation, Full Body Paint, by Saint. Wow!! Xtreme Paint and Graphics did a fantastic job!!

Full body paint

Tags
slide, slide out