Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2007, 09:55 AM   #1

We recently bought a 2008 model fifth wheel. The more we used it, the more features we found that we didn't like (poor planning). We would like to trade for something we like better and know that we are going to take a big hit on depreciation but life is short so what the heck. My question is this: Would it be better to trade now for another 2008 model that he has in stock or to wait until spring? I have talked to a dealer (different manufacturer) and he said pricing a used 2008 to new 2008 trade is difficult because the NADA valuations for used 2008 models are not out yet so he had to guess what mine might be worth. He did make us an offer but the difference is higher than I expected. I would appreciate any comments anyone might have.
Thanks
Jerryg

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2007, 09:55 AM   #2

We recently bought a 2008 model fifth wheel. The more we used it, the more features we found that we didn't like (poor planning). We would like to trade for something we like better and know that we are going to take a big hit on depreciation but life is short so what the heck. My question is this: Would it be better to trade now for another 2008 model that he has in stock or to wait until spring? I have talked to a dealer (different manufacturer) and he said pricing a used 2008 to new 2008 trade is difficult because the NADA valuations for used 2008 models are not out yet so he had to guess what mine might be worth. He did make us an offer but the difference is higher than I expected. I would appreciate any comments anyone might have.
Thanks
Jerryg

Old 12-07-2007, 05:23 PM   #3

Waiting might be best. Then you can find the book value of your 08 and find the list price of the 09.
My method is to first find these values. Subtract 30% from 09 list price(markup is near 35%), then subtract your 08 book price from that. Remember, the dealer must make a profit or close. That differential amount is my "fighting price". I tell the salesperson my differential price and that he may juggle any number he wants, but that differential is my bottom line.I gotten many confused looks when confronted with this method of buying; it takes away virtually all their barganing tools.
I'd use caution- getting upside-down may be hard to survive.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 04:30 AM   #4

Man, that's a tough spot to be in (buying new, then deciding you don't like the floorplan).

You might come out best trying to sell your unit privately, but being that new it might be difficult.
Jeff_in_The_Dalles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 01:40 PM   #5

Thanks guys. I appreciate the input. I also had some problems with the new one that I shouldn't have had. They have been fixed but not without costing me Money. This kind of put a sour taste in my mouth and made me more dissatisfied.
Jerry
Old 12-20-2007, 10:39 AM   #6

If you live someplace warm and the dealer moves stuff in high voluem it may not matter. If the dealer is in the slow part of the year and asking them to take a trade and sit on yours for 4 months isnt going to get you a deal ! If you where smart you could try to sell yours on ebay with a reserve set high enough that you dont have a bail out price and when it sells it sells and buy the new one outright no trade ! Often times dealers sell new stuff priced very fair on ebay also!
Old 12-20-2007, 11:14 AM   #7

I'm guessing you will take it in the shorts no matter when you trade. I see you are in MN, so there is probably snow on the ground, and the dealers are basically in freeze mode until Spring. With the Rv industry in the dumps in general I would seriously doubt you will get any sort of a deal. Probably would be better off, either taking the hit, or keeping it and living with the floor plan until you can make a fair trade

450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote