Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2007, 09:50 AM   #1

OK...my 4 year old Hitchhiker Aqua Magic Aurora toilet needs a new seal. Before I put in the new lower seal mechanism ($80 +/-) I want to be sure I know a good way to keep it lubed so it doesn't dry out again. (Yes, I already cleaned the seal groove. The rubber is very hard now.)

So what are you guys doing to lube your toilet seal before you put your rig in storage for 6-8 months.

Thanks for all advice and experiences.
Joe

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2007, 09:50 AM   #2

OK...my 4 year old Hitchhiker Aqua Magic Aurora toilet needs a new seal. Before I put in the new lower seal mechanism ($80 +/-) I want to be sure I know a good way to keep it lubed so it doesn't dry out again. (Yes, I already cleaned the seal groove. The rubber is very hard now.)

So what are you guys doing to lube your toilet seal before you put your rig in storage for 6-8 months.

Thanks for all advice and experiences.
Joe

Old 10-17-2007, 04:15 PM   #3

good question ! thats one thing I have never done for winter storage. I just Replaced my aquamagic with a dometic 510+ , WOW I wish I did this years ago ! takes up the same amount of floor space but I dont have that feeling like I am sitting on a 5 pound can of coffee on the floor.
Old 10-18-2007, 04:04 AM   #4

Right or wrong all I have ever done is added about 2" of RV anti freeze to the toilet and left it sit.

2000 Itasca 35U
N8XV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 07:15 PM   #5

Thetford makes a product called Toilet Seal Lubricant and Conditioner.

Toilet Seal Lube & Conditioner
Old 10-22-2007, 08:23 PM   #6

Good timing with that recommendation Mrs Mik.
Just bought some today at CWorld.
Think I'll put some on my old seal over the winter and see what happens next spring before I replace the whole lower mechanism.

I see Thetford has discontinued my toilet. Seals may be the reason? It did work great while it worked (4 years). Can't really complain, considering the abuse (non-use) we give these RVs, I guess.

Thanks all for your input.
Joe
Old 10-23-2007, 08:44 PM   #7

Every commerical product I've read the back label on, uses coconut oil for the lubricant. I'd find the brand with the highest percentage.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote