Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2012, 08:18 PM   #1

Best Truck for my 40ft 5th wheel

hi everyone. I am new to this site and also will be new to 5th wheeling. I have been driving a Class A with a tow and getting along OK but now want to get into 5th wheeling. I am considering getting a 40 ft. trailer and want some input on what type and size of truck I need for this size trailer. I want to get the right truck but am hoping I don't need to buy a dually. Thanks for any input you can give me
furkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2012, 08:40 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
A 40' 5er will be a minimum of an F350/3500 dually that is properly equipped and maybe an F450/4500. Big trailers need BIB trucks.

You may see folks pulling big 5er with single rear wheel trucks and they do not have a clue how badly they are over loaded.

Check out this site as a starting point to understand the weight issues.
RV and Tow Vehicle Weights

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 12:57 AM   #3

F450/4500 dully Truck is a must for safety for a 40' FW regardless of the
Manufacture.
Old 07-01-2012, 09:58 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Oh boy - subscribing for what may be a mfg 'debate'

but the correct way top do it is decide on the 5er, find out the WET or GVW and max pin weight, THEN size the truck accordingly...
MOST times any diesel will do a good job towing, stopping, handling...
BUT, the rear GAWR or GVWR will be the limiting factor...

MANY have a great truck that does everything well EXCEPT be legally withn their truck's weight ratings..... good luck on your decision, but you are researching first which is a smart thing !!! Many buy first and then research
Old 07-01-2012, 10:11 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
At least a 350/3500 diesel to haul that weight.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 10:39 AM   #6

Howdy!

I would be looking at a MDT (Med Duty Truck) or HDT (Heavy Duty Truck). I would suggest going to the Escapees MDT and HDT forum and researching those tow vehicles. Escapees HDT website will be very helpful and have alot of info regarding towing heavy 5er's. If your up to the HDT you will have alot more comfort and piece of mind towing a heavy 5er with a converted HDT or even a MDT.

http://rvnetwork.com "Escapees forum"

"Happy Trails"
chiefneon
chiefneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 10:56 AM   #7

Generally speaking, a 40' FW has got to be over 12k lbs or so, empty. Once you fill it up, you're in the 350/3500 dually range and definitely not SRW. Some of the super heavy FWs, such as Mobile Suites, Teton, and NuWa, would probably need an MDT.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 11:23 AM   #8

Send a message via Skype™ to PugPug
I originally pulled my 42 ft cyclone with a 3/4 ton Chev SRW Duramax. The trl was around 18k. The pickup was an 02 so it didn't have the HP that the new diesels have. I had it pumped up from 225 to 300HP but it still worked the hell out of it and the SRW scared me to death about having a blowout.

I sold that jpickup and purchased an 09 Ram with Cummins and dual rear tires. Absolutely no comparison how that truck pulled and the stability of pulling that trl. I have since sold the Cyclone and went to a Carriage Cameo that is about the same weight around 17,500 lbs.

My Ram is a dually Cummins with 350 hp, mega cab, and short box. I absolutely love this pickup. I used to drive cross country truck and the Cummins and Cat were my favorite engines. The mega cab rear seat is like riding in a limo. My short box still fits in my garage. Measure first before buying.

Without starting a huge discussion about the plus'es on all trucks, I will say that all of the big three make great pickups with good engines. The Chev duromax has worked out all the bugs and they run. The Ford's have gone to their own engine in the last few years and from what I have hear they are good also.

I don't think you can go wrong now in any of the big three now. Just pickout and test all three carefully for your own preferences.

About the 4500 vs the 3500. I really have no experience with the 4500 other than just looking at a few. I believe they do have heavier capacities basically with the same engines as the 3500s. I don't know about cab sizes, box sizes, etc. Do your homework.

All I can say is my Ram with the Cummins, duallies, short box and engine brake, six speed trans is a very proficient truck. I have pulled and decended 12% nasty grades in Northern Arizona with no problems.

I use my pickup as a daily driver also but do pick my parking spaces and usually back into parking spaces with the aid of the back up camera. Nice!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphie View Post
Generally speaking, a 40' FW has got to be over 12k lbs or so, empty. Once you fill it up, you're in the 350/3500 dually range and definitely not SRW. Some of the super heavy FWs, such as Mobile Suites, Teton, and NuWa, would probably need an MDT.
PugPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:39 AM   #9

At the 40' size, you're talking about a lot of weight - both the unit and on the pin. What no one has mentioned is that when you jump to the 450/550 or 4500/5500 size that besides the increase in haul capacity is what really matters in this situation - the size of the brakes jumps to a much larger size. This is due to the larger axles and wheels they are designed to carry but what you reap is a much better stopping capability. Yes trailers come with their own brakes but what happens when the brakes don't work or yo need absolute MAX power in an emergency situation. But if you don't have a truck able to pull this unit and you need to upgrade, then please go for an MDT.
Palpatine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 12:22 PM   #10

F350 diesel/dually pulling a 40' 17,500# 5th. No problems. Take it from someone who is doing it. You will need a dually no question about it.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:27 PM   #11

Thanks everyone - I am buying a F-350 dually very soon.
furkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 04:19 PM   #12

Need more information

Hi

GM has stopped production on their 4500 & 5500 trucks. They have upgraded the 2012 3500 Duramax DRW to 30,500 GCWR by boxing the frame, improving the brakes and suspension.

This sounds like a good one to look at.

I would consider the Ford 450 before I would the Ford 350.

You would get much more accurate information here if you would give us the GWR of the trailer.

3665RE
Old 07-11-2012, 05:12 PM   #13

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman
A 40' 5er will be a minimum of an F350/3500 dually that is properly equipped and maybe an F450/4500. Big trailers need BIB trucks.

You may see folks pulling big 5er with single rear wheel trucks and they do not have a clue how badly they are over loaded.

Check out this site as a starting point to understand the weight issues.
RV and Tow Vehicle Weights

Ken
That is a very over generalized statement! I have a 42' 2013 Sierra 365SAQ and tow with a SRW 2012 F350 PSD. Gvwr on the camper is 14k lbs. When i scaled it, im 700lbs under gcwr, 1000 under rgawr 500 lbs under gvwr of the truck and 500 below trailer gawr. Also well within all weights of the tires. I understand the dually community being all high and mighty but really it depends on the persons truck and trailer combo.....NOT THAT ALL LARGE 5ers ARE OVERLOADED IF TOWED BY A SRW. All I ask is if you are giving advice dont generalize.....the advice of another poster who stated pick a trailer than match a truck....that would be the correct advice.

Just for the record i saw a srw f350 towing a 17500 open range 427bhs....was he overweight, i assume so....as thats 2000 above my rated towing and i have a newer model....did that make it unsafe...always a debatable answer. I however am not over weight in any aspect and resent the implication that "only a dually" is capable of towing a longer 5er. Fact is it depends on weight not length!
Beausdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 05:58 PM   #14

Beausdog...if you are within weights pulling a 42' 5th wheel with a SRW truck...you are one of the very few.

TXiceman's advice is good and applies to the vast majority.