Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-25-2016, 08:14 PM   #15
I don't have a 5th wheel but rather a more unstabil tow behind keystone. The guy that builds the Steadyfast setup is local. I installed that and it really helped. I also moved my jacks inboard (further from the bumper) about 2'. I also put a set of jacks in the center of the trailer. No more seasickness aboard my ship.
Big pads really help as well. I use 2x12 pieces covered in 3/4" plywood at the 4 corners.

Bob1340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2016, 04:35 AM   #16
I suppose balancing the w/d and putting the wife on a diet would be a tad bit much?

Happy Prospector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 07:29 AM   #17
"When using your auto leveling, keep the jack extensions as short as possible."

" If you can't keep your jacks short the stabilizers will stop most of the movement for you."

Short leg extension and cross-arm stabilizers--probably the best you can do.

'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites
'10 F450 new to me
'09 F450 Lariat 4x4--died
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 10:36 PM   #18
I agree when l keep my autolevel jacks short the trl is much more stable ,to the point where movement is almost a nonissue
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 08:48 AM   #19
Ditto with any jacks. The shorter the better. Another consideration is the substrate of the pad at the park you are camped at. One place we go quite a bit uses pretty large rock to park on. Very course gravel. Once you initially setup all is fine but in less than 24 hours the jack pads settle into the heavy gravel and everything goes haywire. I got a small garden hoe and scrape the gravel away from where the tires and pads will sit. It's a pain but the level and stability hold up much better.
Old 01-29-2016, 06:39 AM   #20
Another vote for the SteadyFast system. Stops about 90% of the movement. Well worth the investment.

If/when I get another 5th. wheel I will remove them from the present 5th. and re-install on the next. They are that good.
FredWH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 01:29 PM   #21
Last issue of Trailer Life had a good article the Steadyfast. When I went to the guys shop he showed me how he makes everything. He outsources some of the stuff and once built he sends everything out to a powder coat place. But it's a slick little operation. If anyone does go with the Steadyfast just make sure you re-tighten the locks after you raise you jacks back up! LOL, I forgot to once and after driving about 100 miles I remembered I forgot to do so. I pulled over thinking my lock stuff would be gone but it was still hanging on by a few threads! I'll never forget again.
Old 02-03-2016, 07:15 PM   #22
We started with our aftermarket stabilizers and loved them. We thought that when we added a Big Foot leveling system on in 2010, that we wouldn't need them anymore. We left them on but didn't tighten our knobs. While the BF did help some, its job is to level so it did not keep us from having movement. We just tightened our knobs and were back in business. The stabilizers are great for keeping things nice and stationary but what a bonus when we never feel the washer when it is on spin cycle. That makes us happy campers fer sure. Hugs, Di

2015 1 ton auto single cab 2 wheel drive 3500 Ram Dually. Western Pearl Brown, 410 Aisin Trans, Pace Eds roll top cover. 1996/2015 3axle Carriage, BF Auto Level, TST Tire Pressure Monitoring System, Plug It Right Stabilizers.
Dutch & Diana Irrgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 10:18 PM   #23
I too have a 6 point level system and also use these at the extreme rear corners and a tri-pod up front. The stabilizers made the best improvement
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	74
Size:	492.6 KB
ID:	118566  
2014 Grand Design Solitude, 369RL, #107
2016 Chevy 3500HD, SRW, Diesel/Allison
Gsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 06:56 PM   #24
The more weight off the wheels the better. The shorter the jacks are out the better. In addition to jack points the more support under frame the better.

Do all of that well & you will have a house on foundations.

Home: Bermuda
US RV base, MD
2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
Triangle Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote

5th wheel