Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-12-2016, 07:56 PM   #1

Question Bicycles??

Hello,,, I just bought a 1995 Holliday Rambler 5th wheel, I am new to this and was excited to try it out.. Problem I am having is how do I transport 4 bikes? I have heard horror stories about bumper mount bike racks? I have a quad cab truck, is there a good rack system out there that I can put on my truck to haul these bikes? Thank you everyone for your help.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2016, 06:23 AM   #2

I haul two fairly expensive bikes in a Saris hitch mounted carrier. I imagine you could have a couple receivers welded to the back of the 5'er.

Lot's of options on amazon, etc.

okcnewbie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 07:14 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
One option would be to get a few of these.

Old 07-13-2016, 05:02 PM   #4

Beef up the square tube bumber and use a hitch mount and a 4-bike rack. I did that with a Thule T2.
Old 07-14-2016, 10:31 AM   #5

I would recommend spending the money and getting a frame mounted hitch and forget the bumper. It's a lot of weight on the back and attaching to the frame is probably your best option. We did this without issue on our previous TT. We had a metal fabrication shop extend the bike rack so that it left enough room between the bikes on the carrier and the rear of our camper. I've also seen a few that have roof mounted bike carriers on their F350 dually. Would need to watch your payload weight with the second option.
Old 07-14-2016, 12:27 PM   #6

We had a bike rack on the back of our fiver up until we bought a cargo trailer. If you go the rack route, be prepared for the bikes to get incredibly dirty, even with a fancy cover on them. Driving through Utah after they started putting salt down was an absolute mess to clean off. Sure my frame is carbon fiber and I don't need to worry about it rusting, but that salt was pretty difficult to clean out of all the books and crannies of the bike. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1468520828.114673.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	133011
Old 07-14-2016, 01:20 PM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBurg View Post
We had a bike rack on the back of our fiver up until we bought a cargo trailer. If you go the rack route, be prepared for the bikes to get incredibly dirty, even with a fancy cover on them. Driving through Utah after they started putting salt down was an absolute mess to clean off. Sure my frame is carbon fiber and I don't need to worry about it rusting, but that salt was pretty difficult to clean out of all the books and crannies of the bike. Attachment 133011
Bigger risk here is the road grime working its way into components and bottom bracket. To the OP I would look to reinforce or install frame mount hitch and consider a nicer Saris or even my favorite 1UPUSA hitch if you have nice bikes.
Old 07-14-2016, 01:27 PM   #8

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Definitely don't try to carry four bikes on a bumper mounted rack. If your 5er's can support it, have a 2" receiver hitch attached to the frame. You'll still have to deal with dirt and grime. If you cover them, be sure they don't obscure your tail/brake lights. Some folks have had a custom 2" receiver attached to the rig's pin box but clearance between the rig and the truck cab may make mounting four bikes difficult.

We have a couple of long wheel base recumbent bikes and got tired of the hassle of the rear mount. So we took the couch out of the trailer and built a base frame where the couch was using the item described in post #3 of this thread. Bikes ride inside out of the elements and avoid stresses of bouncing on the rear of the rig. Probably not a solution for everyone but it works for us.
Old 07-14-2016, 03:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by trimacon View Post
Bigger risk here is the road grime working its way into components and bottom bracket. To the OP I would look to reinforce or install frame mount hitch and consider a nicer Saris or even my favorite 1UPUSA hitch if you have nice bikes.

You're not kidding. It took quite a lot of work to get all the salt cleared out.
Old 07-15-2016, 01:15 PM   #10

Thank you,, thats what I am going to do.. my frame comes out of the camper and gives me about 3'' of frame to weld to.. I think that will be enough metal to weld to to hold 4 bikes.. Thank you guys