Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-08-2015, 07:35 AM   #1

Big Country 3900 FLP

Looking at the Big Country 3900 FLP and wanted to hear feedback on it... Has anyone bought it ...do you like having the deck. Have you had any issues as hearing a lot of bad press on Heartland QC.....tks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2015, 10:50 AM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
come on over to the Heartland Owners Forum (link below) and ask your question. You can get all the information that you need there.

Old 11-14-2015, 03:20 PM   #3

We have settled on a 3900FLP. Make sure you order one new with 8k pound axles or you may not have enough weight to use all that storage. Also they are revamping the interior and furniture this winter. We are ordering ours after 1/1/16.

You can read our thoughts here. https://travelswithpickles.wordpress.com/

-Dave
Old 11-15-2015, 10:24 AM   #4

Thing I saw and didn't like: The level up controller on the curb side. Should be on the street side for ease of use.
wingedone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 11:00 AM   #5

Evergreen Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingedone View Post
Thing I saw and didn't like: The level up controller on the curb side. Should be on the street side for ease of use.
I think almost all the brands have it on the curb side. At least all the ones in the 60K on up price range that I have looked at.
Old 11-15-2015, 11:05 AM   #6

Evergreen Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhakar View Post
We have settled on a 3900FLP. Make sure you order one new with 8k pound axles or you may not have enough weight to use all that storage. Also they are revamping the interior and furniture this winter. We are ordering ours after 1/1/16.

-Dave
Putting heavier rated axles under the trailer won't change the GCWR. It is dependent on the frame capacity too. I know as I have ordered a trailer with 8K axles in place of standard 7K axles and they told me from the factory that it won't raise my weight capacity. I ordered the 8K axles as I wanted the 17.5 wheels with Goodyear H rated tires and disc brakes.
Old 11-15-2015, 11:28 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrod View Post
Putting heavier rated axles under the trailer won't change the GCWR. It is dependent on the frame capacity too. I know as I have ordered a trailer with 8K axles in place of standard 7K axles and they told me from the factory that it won't raise my weight capacity. I ordered the 8K axles as I wanted the 17.5 wheels with Goodyear H rated tires and disc brakes.
Great point, but that is why you contact the manufacturer and work with engineering instead of simply assuming one way or the other based on anecdotal data. The FLP frame is the same frame used on the heavier 20k chassis on the Landmarks. It is one reason we choose this model. Forest River makes one with a patio but its hung on a lighter midlevel residential frame instead of something more appropriate.

Always verify you factory upgrades with engineering.
Valhakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 11:36 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrod View Post
I think almost all the brands have it on the curb side. At least all the ones in the 60K on up price range that I have looked at.
Not true. Just got back from a local RV show yesterday. Most all have the level up controller on the street side. Start looking at S.O.B on the net and you'll see that curb side controllers are in the minority. It would be a deal breaker for me.
Kinda like the dump valves being located in the very front basement storage area like on Glacier Peak 5th wheels. I would not want to have to open up the front storage compartment every time I have to dump.
Old 11-15-2015, 12:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingedone View Post
Everyone has personal preference. I can seen your point as adjusting on uneven ground can take a few tries.

I have a class B license with hazmat, so once I connect the RV I will be doing the four point wheel check EVERY TIME. It is habitual, probably the reason I have had no incidents in 25 years. Having the box on the curb side is preferred by me for that very reason. You should be taking those fifteen steps anyway. Those 15 steps can save you thousands in repairs.
Old 11-15-2015, 01:06 PM   #10

Evergreen Owners Club
Quote:
Great point, but that is why you contact the manufacturer and work with engineering instead of simply assuming one way or the other based on anecdotal data. The FLP frame is the same frame used on the heavier 20k chassis on the Landmarks. It is one reason we choose this model. Forest River makes one with a patio but its hung on a lighter midlevel residential frame instead of something more appropriate.

Always verify you factory upgrades with engineering.
I hope you have that in writing when you order your trailer. No where in specs does it give the option of upgrading to 8K axles and please ask the engineer just why if you already have the heavier Landmark frame why they stick the 7K axles under it as standard equipment? As to the snub of checking with the factory engineer, I did when I ordered my trailer with the custom additions.

When I toured the Bighorn factory the 6th of August this year, I was told they do NOT do any custom changes to their Heartland trailers. For this specific reason I did NOT order a Heartland.
Old 11-15-2015, 04:21 PM   #11

Quote:

-Dave

Tks for the info Valhakar. Very good info and please keep us in the loop once u get your rig.
Old 11-18-2015, 10:36 AM   #12

Billy,

Well bad news. The 3900 FLP has moved to the second place behind a toy hauler. We dry camp so we needed a generator that could be fed fuel. Heartland customer service and access to engineering has been such a wonderful experience, I am heart broken.

We have, in writing from the GM of Big Country, that the 3900 can be ordered and fitted with 8K axles and it does add to the GVW as the frame and pin can take 18K pounds. All this made for a beautifully balanced boondock/park 5th wheel.

The deal breaker. I wanted to add an ASME 100 gallon propane tank. After talking with Heartland engineering AND talking with their frame vendor, the front pass through will not hold the weight.

So, we are back to looking at luxury toy haulers. So far the Sonoma or Las Vegas are looking the best. Toy hauler living room is tiny, as usual, but the master bedroom has seating for 3-4 as well and that huge bay window.
Floor Plans - CrossRoads RV
Old 11-18-2015, 12:34 PM   #13

What can you carry in the garage? If the total carrying capacity is 3000 lbs. Let me give you my example. If your bikes each weigh in at 1200lbs and you have 2 you are at 2400 lbs. So you would only have 600 lbs left for all your stuff and you?
Old 11-19-2015, 07:36 AM   #14

Dave,

Tks for your response and best of luck to you. I am hopeful that Heartland will continue to improve the design of the 3900FLP and others will also offer a deck option. I am still on the fence to going this way or going with a used DRV or higher quality 5th Wheel....let us know what you end up buying and how it goes. Lastly did you look at the Jayco Seismic 4212 as it has two decks and seems to be of good quality.