Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-25-2004, 04:03 PM   #15

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sunny:
Tombs
I think he meant start it. I would tell him with a rope and your arm, I don't think your Gen is electric start. I hope I am not wrong on this.

Tom <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hehehe, Thanks Tom, and if he meant start it, youre almost right, always with a rope but not nesessarly with my arm. LOL

2003 Monark w/125h.p. Merc
Tombs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2004, 04:15 PM   #16

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tombs:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sunny:
Tombs
I think he meant start it. I would tell him with a rope and your arm, I don't think your Gen is electric start. I hope I am not wrong on this.

Tom <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

DUHHHHH - - excuse me - - I forgot some gennies don't have electric start.

Hehehe, Thanks Tom, and if he meant start it, youre almost right, always with a rope but not nesessarly with my arm. LOL <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 11-28-2004, 05:28 AM   #17

Hi Tombs,just reading your post,funny i have the same problem and have 3000 inverter Yamaha gen.It does not due it all the time,what i do when running gen. is to switch refrig. to dual power that seems to make the frig. run okay.I was using a coleman gen. for awhile and did not seem to have any problem with it.I will post it on some other forums and see what they come up with. Tom
Tom Postma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 11:34 AM   #18

Well I did a bit of exploring today. Started the fridge on gas. Everything was fine and checked the volts going into the circut board. All good. Checked it coming out of the board to the valve. All good. Kept it on gas and plugged trailer into the gen. A minute after plugging in the test light went out. Unplugged it and the light came back on. So, I plugged it back in and checked the volts again going into the board and it was good. But when I checked it coming out of the board and going to the valve... nothing. I'm conviced theres some thing messed up in the board. Any one off hand know what the price of one of these boards are? Norcold model N611.

Old 11-29-2004, 06:54 PM   #19

Thor Owners Club
So the manual to the genset says to unplug everything before starting. This may not help, but have you pulled the AC plug inside the outside door out of its receptical.
Just a thought.

2003 Carriage CW362 5th Wheel
Tootall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 02:30 AM   #20

If I understand what you are saying, the fridge runs fine on 110 shore power, whether set for LP or auto (110), it runs fine on battery power and LP, but only acts up when hooked to the generator and set on gas?

I'm no expert, but if this is correct, there must be something going on with the generator.

From what I understand, the control board requires very clean, steady 12v DC power to run right.

If the output from the generator was noisy and/or unstable, could that be transmitted through the converter, strong enough to overcome the filter effect of the batteries?

Might be interesting to borrow a different generator (perhaps a honda) and try your test again.
Jeff_in_The_Dalles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 04:10 AM   #21

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jeff_in_The_Dalles:
If I understand what you are saying, the fridge runs fine on 110 shore power, whether set for LP or auto (110), it runs fine on battery power and LP, but only acts up when hooked to the generator and set on gas?

I'm no expert, but if this is correct, there must be something going on with the generator.

From what I understand, the control board requires very clean, steady 12v DC power to run right.

If the output from the generator was noisy and/or unstable, could that be transmitted through the converter, strong enough to overcome the filter effect of the batteries?

Might be interesting to borrow a different generator (perhaps a honda) and try your test again. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jeff, you are correct in this. I am taking the Genset in to day to have it looked at. I did hook up my 3000 watt and it seemed to operate the fridge just fine. Then I ideled it right down to just a sputter and it still ran it OK. So I too, Now, think its the gen. The weird thing is, though, Some times the 1000 watt will run it and some times not. When I was up to deer camp, it ran it for 8 days before it started messing up. Thanks for the input.

Old 12-19-2004, 04:36 AM   #22

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tootall:
So the manual to the genset says to unplug everything before starting. This may not help, but have you pulled the AC plug inside the outside door out of its receptical.
Just a thought. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I got my gebset back from the dealer. New air cleaner and cleaned carb. Starts real easy but did not affect the prob. with the fridge.

Tootall, I tried your suggestion and, guess what. The darn refridge works like that. I sure dont understand it, but, when I unplugged the fridge, while trailer is on the gen. the fridge fired right up on the gas mode. Crazy. Then I plugged the fridge back in, still on gas and the gen. and the flame went out. Unplugged it and it fired right back up.
Thanks to every ones suggestions.

Old 12-19-2004, 07:12 AM   #23

Get a digital voltmeter and put it on the 12 VDC line and monitor it while you plug and unplug the fridge with the gen running and the fridge on gas. I'm almost willing to bet that the 12 VDC drops. It should be close to 12.6 VDC .... Also check the AC on both the shore power and gen with the fridge pluged in and not pluged in ... Your problem seems to be some type of load on the 12VDC when operating on the gen and the fridge is plugged in to AC ...
If you do find the problem let us know

Andrea
C Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 09:08 AM   #24
DJ

There are two people on this post with the same problem. I notice that both are using the newer "Inverter" style generators. Meaning the generator produces 12vdc and uses an internal inverter to create 120vac. So you are producing 12vdc, inverting it to 120vac, sending it to the trailers converter to convert it back to 12vdc to send it to the fridge. Could it be something about this cahin of events?
DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 01:37 PM   #25

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Might be tottaly out of line or wrong...but are you level? Have been told the rig has to be level or would mess the fridge up when running it.

2012 Tiffin Allegro 34TGA
2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport
woodburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 03:46 PM   #26

A couple of things... as for checking frequency, that's easy and free: plug the RV into the generator and set the timer on the micro for one minute. Not cooking... just timer. Time it with a watch and see if it beeps about the time the watch says one minute. If it's early, the frequency is high and if it's late, the frequency is low. If you're really AR, you can do that test over a 5 minute period.

However, I doubt it's the frequency. It is not because it is level or unlevel. All being unlevel will do is burn out the vapor coil or similar.

This is just a WAG, but here goes: I don't know if your gen is an inverter type or conventional. Either way, it MAY be putting out harmonics (noise) that the converter is passing along to the DC side. The converter shouldn't be doing that, but some are not filtered as well as they might be.

The circuit board in the refer may be seeing the harmonics from the generator (by way of the converter) and going wacko. I know it sounds far fetched, but you've tried all the close fetched stuff. If it were me, I'd just hook up my oscilloscope and see what was coming out of the generator. Since you probably don't have one of those, I humbly suggest you follow the earlier suggestion to try a different generator. I think you'll find it is your converter not getting along with your generator. Several brands of converters are really nutsy about generator power.
ATVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 06:52 AM   #27

Thanks for all the info. The trailer is level. As I posted above, I took the genset to the dealer and they fixed a couple of minor probs. They said every thing is up to par. What ever that means. Also as mentioind before, if I unplug the refer from the 110 volt plug in the back of it, it works great. On gas, that is, while hooked up to the gen. When I plug it into the 3000 watt evrything also works very well, the way its supposed to. So, I guess I'll just live with it like that. As long as it works OK one way or the other, I guess I'm satisfied. As long as the food doesnt spoil.
And again thank for all the info. Oh yah, the reason I dont like using the big gen is cause its so darn noisy where as the 1000 watt Yamaha is very quiet.