Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-30-2009, 11:07 AM   #1

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Big Horn by Heartland

Has anyone got a Big Horn? How do you like it ? Any problems ? I do see it has a Lippert frame and that not a plus for me . I am also not too sure about the construction. The use a OSB instead of plywood in construction.
Tom

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2009, 06:22 PM   #2

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Is the quality as good as the NUWA and Cariage line of fifth wheels in the Bighorn ? I am looking at Hitchhiker LS and Cameo not the top of the line.
Tom

Old 10-31-2009, 10:07 AM   #3

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Tom,
When you get down this way, check out Tradewinds RV in Ocala. They sell Heartland, NuWa, and Jayco fivers. You can spend all day on the same lot crawling in and under 'em if you want. When you're done, then you can meet us at Oakwood Grill and let us know what you decided
Old 10-31-2009, 02:41 PM   #4

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Ok Thanks Dave, We will do that. The Kind bed in the Bighorn just took up too much room and what they wanted for a trade was not good.
Tom
Old 12-24-2009, 05:50 PM   #5

We have a Bighorn 3670

and just returned from a 6 month stint in Alaska. The Bighorn performed flawlessly and we had a fantastic time Workamping in Cooper Landing on the Kenai Peninsula.

The trip included some horrid weather (snow, ice and rain) and horrific roads (the last 100 Canadian miles before the Alaska border).

We are very impressed with the fact that there were NO leaks and no structural issues. We love it.
Old 12-24-2009, 07:45 PM   #6
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
Tom,

Check out the Heartland Owners Forum.
Old 12-25-2009, 08:07 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by diandtom View Post
Is the quality as good as the NUWA and Cariage line of fifth wheels in the Bighorn ? I am looking at Hitchhiker LS and Cameo not the top of the line.
Tom
We've had our Big Horn for 2.5 years & we've had TOO many problems. IMHO: Heartland's quality is very poor in how things are 'thrown' together & they use inferior components include Lippert products that have a high failure rate. If you would like a list of the problems we've encountered, send me your email address & I'll forward a list to you: cgawkk@gmail.com.

When we purchase our next line the Carriage products (Cameo or Carri-Lite) would be one we would consider but for sure our short list would not include anything from Heartland.

Eh!
Old 12-28-2009, 12:55 PM   #8

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Dimes View Post
Tom,
When you get down this way, check out Tradewinds RV in Ocala. They sell Heartland, NuWa, and Jayco fivers. You can spend all day on the same lot crawling in and under 'em if you want. When you're done, then you can meet us at Oakwood Grill and let us know what you decided
An update to the above:

Tradewinds no longer sells Heartland products. I called them to confirm that fact this morning. According to reliable information on another forum, the dealer "booted" Heartland after the manufacturer did not keep an agreement. They still sell NuWa and Jayco.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:05 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I personally think the Bighorn offers a lot of bang for your buck.
Yes they do use Lippert frames but so do 90+% of 5th wheel mfrs. out there with very few complaints when you consider the huge volume in service.
As far as the use of OSB; you might want to consider doing a little research on what actually goes into the making of the "OSB" in use today.
It has come a long way and is used in a lot of high end coaches and stick homes as well!
There is really nothing wrong with it.
I doubt anyone here, or on any of the other large forums can site an instance where someone had issues that can be pointed to the use of OSB as being the culprit.
Me thinks if you find a floor plan that suits your needs and a price that is right for you; Go for it.
You can do a lot worse! Of course that's just my opinion.

2012 Tiffin Allegro 34TGA
2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport
woodburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 07:36 PM   #10

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
I think Tradewinds has two NUWA s in the lot and one of them has a sale pending. I talked with the plant a few weeks back and they are trying to get a dealer in North Carolina. I would like to be able to see one before buying. They do have a Jayco Eagle that may be ok for us, but it may be more than I can tow.
Tom
Old 12-31-2009, 04:30 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
We have a Bighorn and in its price point, I think it does very well. We traded from a Hitchhiker only because I couldn't find the floorplan I wanted in the HH anywhere nearby. I would rate the BH a small step below the HHs and if I do come across the floorplan I want in the HH, I'll trade back to the brand.
The Bighorn has been pretty good so far. Only a few minor items went bad and were quickly fixed. First item was working through the dealer for a tire upgrade which was actually accomplished very easily. The other repairs I handled myself.

Bill
Old 12-31-2009, 05:12 PM   #12
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
Yep, they make it tough to buy a HitchHiker.

There are very few dealers here in the mid-Atlantic states and the dealers who do carry the brand don't like to keep very many floor plans in stock. I drove to Kansas to get my last one but most people wouldn't bother with that, they'll just buy another brand that their local dealer pushes on them.

Personally I think it's worth the extra effort to seek out a HitchHiker but that's just me, I'm biased toward that brand because I've had four of them.

Y'all enjoy your 'other brands', I'm sure they're nice trailers.
Old 01-06-2010, 03:37 PM   #13

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
We went to tradewinds today and looked at a few NUWA s that they had. He said he would give me a price on one but no call yet. Tomorrow we are going down to Sandford to look at a couple of Carriage Cameo. We just not found what we like yet. We are going to the Tampa Rv show and maybe we will find what we like.
Tom
Old 01-19-2010, 11:57 PM   #14

Smile Bighorn owner

I have a 2007 Bighorn, 3055 and have been very pleased with it. Had some minor problems initially, cabinet doors, leaky shower, the usual stuff, but all was fixed under warranty. Really like the fireplace and central vac. Did lots of looking initially of like models and not sorry I settled on the Bighorn. Seems to be built pretty solid.

Tags
heartland