Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-07-2015, 11:18 PM   #1

Big Horn or Montana

Just started looking at 5th wheels. I like Big Horn by Hearthland. I have heard good things about Montana brand.

Wondering where the best place to buy a 5th wheel is? We live is South Eastern Idaho.

Are there for sale by owner 5th wheel web sites to look at?
Really do not know anything about this process.
Thanks
pauljudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2015, 03:30 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
We have friends who had Montana and were really happy! We owned a bighorn and some others friends have one. We absolutely loved ours, when we bought it they were going to greater lengths to add extras others either didn't or charged extra for. They were very easy to deal with at the factory and unfortunately we had to take our to the factory for a frame crack which really would be a Lippert issue but they fixed it. They had it 2 weeks which as quick for what they had to do. Coach was 2 years out of warranty and they still fixed it free of charge. They have a factory rally every year in different locations and you can get stuff fixed regardless of age. Mostly minor stuff but still free! We wished they made motor homes because wight the service we got we would have stayed with them forever!

Here is a link to there forum which has a for sale section. http://www.heartlandowners.org/forum...Items-for-Sale
Old 04-08-2015, 04:21 AM   #3

I am not familiar with that part of the country but to get started there should be RV dealers around any major city. Also any major city would have RV Shows. These however are usually in the winter and early spring.

During an RV show the Dealers will have a 'show special' price. It is nothing for the MSRP to be 75K and the 5th wheel to sell for 50k. Or MSRP of 50k selling for 35k. You can get the 'show only' price any time so don't get too excited about getting a great deal. Don't hurry.

A 5th wheel will also require a bigger truck. For most mid size 5th wheels I recommend a single rear wheel 1 ton truck to carry the pin weight plus all the stuff and people and dogs plus the 5th wheel hitch which is heavy.

For the larger 5th wheels a dually truck is required.

The internet is the best place to look at dealer inventory.

Heartland as well as the other 15 or so manufacturers make many levels of 5th wheels. Example for Heartland the Landmark is their best model. It will have the heaviest frame and axles capacity. I think Bighorn is the next step down.

The Bighorn is not a bad unit at all and would make an ok 1st 5th wheel.

Good luck
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 05:07 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
if you are looking for new ones go here Dealer Locator | Services and put in your zip. Have fun looking!
Old 04-08-2015, 08:35 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauljudd View Post
Just started looking at 5th wheels. I like Big Horn by Hearthland. I have heard good things about Montana brand.

Wondering where the best place to buy a 5th wheel is? We live is South Eastern Idaho.

Are there for sale by owner 5th wheel web sites to look at?
Really do not know anything about this process.
Thanks
What are you planning to do when you buy a 5th wheel? Such as full timeing or extended stay or boondock with the 5er. This will help with offering suggestion to you. Some other 5er’s to look at depending on your budget would be Artic Fox built in the northwest area and is will received for your area. There are others such as Cedar Creek, Cardinal, Trilogy and so forth it all depends on your budget.
I would also check out the owners forum for each brand of 5er’s that you are thinking about.
See attached:
http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/ and http://keystonerv.org/forums/index.php

Jim W.
Old 04-08-2015, 09:45 PM   #6

We have the Big Country cousin to the Bog Horn. If like us options are not realy required the Big Country comes woth lighter weight and a price that is very affordable. I could not tow the BH of same value but my BC is a dream to tow. An yes we have aa W/D.
My experience told me that options are trouble waiting to happen..
But start adding options and the Big Horn is more Practical and duelly requirements.
Old 04-09-2015, 05:04 AM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
We started our full time adventures in a Bighorn and loved it! We were able to pull it with a 3/4 ton diesel truck. The Bighorn, like the Landmark and Big Country, is rated and warranted by Heartland for full time use.
Old 04-09-2015, 05:24 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Try RVTrader.com and put in what you are looking for within 100 mile radius. You can expand that search area to what ever you would like. It will show dealers as well as private parties that have what you are looking for for sale.

Lots of pictures to look at as well and a great way to get familiar with floorplans without leaving the house.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 11:00 PM   #9

Thanks fir all your help

Thanks for the many replies to my questions.

If you will permit me to give you a little more information to answer some of your questions.

We anticipate going on 2 to 3 weeks trips over the next 2 or 3 years. After that we will most likely spend the winters in Arizona. Jan - March

I have a 1 ton 2005 Dodge 3500. I have no problem towing my S&S Camper and a 3 place four wheeler trailer. Camper is just to crowded for long term comfort.

I would rather not buy new and take the depreciation hit. Something in the 2009-2010 range if in good condition would work.

Not a huge fan of pushy R V Dealers. I have heard the best place to purchase R V's is somewhere where people go for the winter because of the turn over. I.E Yuma Arizona

I like big horn 38 foot but am a little concerned that I might need a duelly truck.

Your suggestions are appreciated. Thank you
Paul L Judd
pauljudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 08:25 AM   #10

Fifth Wheel

Your idea of buying a 2-3 year old FW is a very good one, most of the time the bugs have been worked out of it and if it hasn't had any roof leaks they are definitely keepers. My feeling is if your looking at used Hearland Big Country or Bighorn 2011 and up is a good spot to start. Lippert did have frame problems in the 2006-2008 range or so and I would stay away from that range since you don't know if they were addressed.
Most times 36 -38 ft FW's might have a lighter pin weight then a shorter FW, I had a 34.5 Ft. 3070RL and it's pin weight is 2300+, with our stuff and options it could be higher ( I need to get to the scales). I realized later that longer length can sometimes equal a beefier frame and lighter pin weight due to axle position and length etc.
My advise is what the others have told you - spent a lot of time on the forums and keep reading and asking questions, you will be amazed at what you learn. That's what I did and we ended up with a FW that we are really happy with and good for us. We snowbird 4 months a year in Florida and it's been really comfortable the past 4 years and if I had the $$ I'd be a repeat Heartland customer with either another Big Horn or Big Country.
Westwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 08:42 AM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westwind View Post
Your idea of buying a 2-3 year old FW is a very good one, most of the time the bugs have been worked out of it and if it hasn't had any roof leaks they are definitely keepers. My feeling is if your looking at used Hearland Big Country or Bighorn 2011 and up is a good spot to start. Lippert did have frame problems in the 2006-2008 range or so and I would stay away from that range since you don't know if they were addressed.
Most times 36 -38 ft FW's might have a lighter pin weight then a shorter FW, I had a 34.5 Ft. 3070RL and it's pin weight is 2300+, with our stuff and options it could be higher ( I need to get to the scales). I realized later that longer length can sometimes equal a beefier frame and lighter pin weight due to axle position and length etc.
My advise is what the others have told you - spent a lot of time on the forums and keep reading and asking questions, you will be amazed at what you learn. That's what I did and we ended up with a FW that we are really happy with and good for us. We snowbird 4 months a year in Florida and it's been really comfortable the past 4 years and if I had the $$ I'd be a repeat Heartland customer with either another Big Horn or Big Country.
You are exactly right Westwind, those were the years with problems and mine was a 2007, got a crack up at the top of the side wall inside and out. They had to remove part of the skin, repair and beef it up and and refinish the gloss coat. Did a fantastic job and like I said it was a couple of years out of warranty but they stood behind it and made it right at no cost to me other than the fuel to take to the factory. I thought 2 weeks was a fantastic repair time, never had another problem with it after that and we used it for another 3 years after that. Far and above I will always speak highly of Heartland! Like I said I wish they sold motorhomes!
Old 04-10-2015, 09:01 AM   #12

If I were in Idaho, I'd take a serious look at Artic Fox. Also you might look at kansasrvcenter.com since you're looking at used, you might be very happy with a NuWa, we are.
MNRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 09:17 AM   #13

Pualjudd;

If you do not mine having an older RV that has cracked and peeling decals then I would recommend any Keystone products such as the Montana that you are looking for.

I have just traded in a 2010 Keystone 318 SAB Cougar that in my opinion has reached its useful life. This unit is start to cost more money than it would be worth to keep on the road. The axle suspension system is needing upgrading now the links and bushings along with the equalizer needs to be replaced; wore out. The remote control for the slides and awning along with the front land gear needs to be fix. All of the decals need to be replace do to cracking and peeling issues. The tires may have another year or two left on them since they were replaced in the spring of 2012. I replaced them with Michelin XPS Ribs an LT tire. The bedroom queen mattress has reached its useful life also and needs to be replace.
People trade them in for a reason; this is mine.

Jim W.

Old 04-10-2015, 06:59 PM   #14

It's a drive, but probably worth the trip...... Used RVs, Motorhomes for Sale, and Consigned sales - PPL Motor Homes
Plus you can look at the inventory on line.
WagonMaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
montana