Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-10-2013, 07:25 PM   #1

Big horn purchase

Looking to buy a big horn 3010 RE here in central calif. Anyone have any recommendations on dealerships and or comments on the 3010 rig?
barry l is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2013, 09:57 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I've been to this dealership and found them to be friendly with good prices. Are you set on a Heartland? They are not as good as Keystone.

New Units

RV Sales - California's New And Used RV Dealer in Paso Robles
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:10 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by puttin View Post
I've been to this dealership and found them to be friendly with good prices. Are you set on a Heartland? They are not as good as Keystone.

New Units

RV Sales - California's New And Used RV Dealer in Paso Robles

I would appreciate seeing all your acquired information and links supporting your statement that Heartland is not as good as Keystone.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:57 PM   #4

I just picked up my 2013 Bighorn 3010RE today. Based on my own experience shopping around, I can't say that I agree that the Keystones are a better built unit. We looked at a lot of units and the bighorn had more of what we were looking for.
PointyWombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:30 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Barry l..... Where do you call Central California?

I'm about 15 miles from the geographical center of the state.

We have several dealerships in the Fresno area.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:21 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Dan,

When I compared the interiors at dealer's lots- almost none of the interior doors closed properly on the Heartland models. In addition, there was closet hardware that had fallen off on two models. I've not had the same experiences with any Keystone model I looked at.
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by puttin View Post
Dan,

When I compared the interiors at dealer's lots- almost none of the interior doors closed properly on the Heartland models. In addition, there was closet hardware that had fallen off on two models. I've not had the same experiences with any Keystone model I looked at.
These are the sort of faults I have found on pretty much any manufacter's units I have looked at including Keystone, but I wouldn't presume to condem the company out of hand.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:13 AM   #8

Big Horn

Thanks to all of you who responded. I ended up purchasing a Big Horn 2012 3585RL. The fit and finish seemed to be good at our purchase walkthrough, but we still have to do our PDI.
barry l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:14 PM   #9

Texas Boomers Club
Congrats on the Bighorn purchase. Have you joined the Heartland Owners forum? Very informative with many others that are willing to share their experiences with you.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:16 PM   #10

Congrats and welcome to the Heartland family.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:58 AM   #11

Texas Boomers Club
We looked at a lot of Big Horns before we bought our Montana. I usually only buy used. The one major thing I found with every Big Horn we looked at was the slide out floors rotting out. The reason is on the Big Horn the floor is made out of plywood and you can see the edge of it at the bottom of the outside wall. The water runs down the wall and wicks into the edge of the plywood. Even if it is painted or treated plywood the water still wicks into it. Unlike the Montana which has a coating of heavy plastic covering the plywood giving it a layer of protection. If I was to buy a Big Horn I would get some silicone and just wipe a layer of it on the edge of the plywood to try and prevent water from wicking in.
steelpony555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:17 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelpony555 View Post
We looked at a lot of Big Horns before we bought our Montana. I usually only buy used. The one major thing I found with every Big Horn we looked at was the slide out floors rotting out. The reason is on the Big Horn the floor is made out of plywood and you can see the edge of it at the bottom of the outside wall. The water runs down the wall and wicks into the edge of the plywood. Even if it is painted or treated plywood the water still wicks into it. Unlike the Montana which has a coating of heavy plastic covering the plywood giving it a layer of protection. If I was to buy a Big Horn I would get some silicone and just wipe a layer of it on the edge of the plywood to try and prevent water from wicking in.

Heartland was made aware about this problem and took steps to remedy it. No wood is exposed on Heartland slide floors anymore that I am aware of. At least not on my Elkridge.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:16 PM   #13

Bighorn Changes

I have a 2012 Bighorn and the bottom of the slides have been changed to prevent that problem in the future. I don't know when the change occurred.
Westwind is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
purchase