Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-28-2010, 07:59 PM   #1

Thumbs down Big O Tire

Well I ordered new tires from Tire Rack and had them dropped shipped to Big O Tire to be installed, never again. I had to take it to a store in Peoria because the one closer does not have a large or level lot to install them. All went fine and less than 2 hours to get installed.

I had several projects to do around the trailer and in several hours I noticed that the tires looked low but thought it might just be the design. Well I grabbed the tire gauge I keep in the truck which is the same as the one I use in the tractor and I had asked that they be inflated to 80 lbs. Two where 70 lbs, one was 60 lbs and one was 20 lbs, that’s right I have a brand new flat tire.

When I called the store back they thought it was funny and said to bring it back since “they had no way to bring me air” I guess they for got about the flat one. So I guess on the next two days off I get I will have to remove it and take it back to them and see if they can do it right. The last time I will use Big O Tires for drop shipment of tires and I want to replace the 7 on the truck in the next month or two.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2010, 11:50 AM   #2

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Someday maybe they will figure out it cost them in the long run. I got a car dealer that their service department was terrible. I went to the owner after the last time and told him I never be back for any thing. Since they made me mad I bought three new cars and two trucks, but not from them. I don't even look at what they got.
diandtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 01:00 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Many years ago I purchased tires from Big O for a Vogue motorhome from a Big O store in Chula Vista, CA. They did not have the tires in stock and had to order them. That was OK and several days later the tires arrived and were installed without problem. A couple of weeks later we took a 100 mile trip and one of the tires blew out. This was an outside dual so I removed the tire and took it to the nearest Big O store which was in Temecula CA and they would not or could not help me. Said the tires were special order and only the Big O store that sold me the tires could help me. This was about 20 years ago and I'm still upset with Big O. Yes, the selling store replaced the tire but I still think the Big O chain should have been more helpful. I've purchased several tires since then and NONE from Big O and never will. I'm sure other buyers have had positive experiences with them or they would be out of business.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 05:11 PM   #4

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue74 View Post
and one was 20 lbs, that’s right I have a brand new flat tire.
Make sure to have someone check the tire that only had 20 lbs in it very carefully. I don't know how far you drove on it or how much weight was on it, but driving on a tire that low can cause unseen sidewall damage. If it was me, I'd have someone other the Big O do the checking.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:39 PM   #5

Off to O I go.

I always wanted a larger air compressor to air tires and run air tools so $480.00 out the door at W. W. Grangers I have a 20 gallon 135 PSI working pressure horizontal one.

I checked the air after four hours at home when it started to look low so I don’t think it was that low when I left the store which was 20 miles away. I have a doctor and dental appointment along with a blood draw so along about 2:00 I should be free. I aired all the tires to 80 psi tonight and when I get back I will recheck them and if low off to O I go. I don’t think they will like to see me but will be nice until it is fixed. Any of the tires that leak I will insist that they be put in a dunk tank and I know they have one because it was outside by one of the bays.

I had used the Big O tire in Flagstaff several times for drop shipped tires and no problems other than they did not watch and put the stems on the dually together but was an easy fix at home. And I would not have used them this time except a lot of the drop ship locations had restrictions on being able to do RV’s.

And dealer car salesmen are their own worst enemy. My family had always bought new Ford from one dealer and had all the service work done in fact my mom had gone to high school with the service manager. A young 18 year old had gone in on his own with a specification list of a new truck he wanted to order and the sales manager sent him away until he could bring in his parents so he could order the truck. Needles to say he ordered the truck at a different dealer and the dealer was informed that they had lost an old customer forever.

When I order the 7 tires for the truck I think I will try the Goodyear dealer.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:11 PM   #6

A couple of years ago we were on a trip to Northern California. We had a blow out just north of Reno on 395. Got it changed out. and continued to our stop that night in Carson City. Dropped the 5ver and left it to wife and sons to set up. Took tire to a shop about a mile back. Can't remember the name of the chain but it is only in the Northwest. Told them we would pick it up in the morning. Went back about an hour after they opened. They roll a tire in that was the right size but it wasn't on my wheel. Now when I ordered my rig I ordered on upgraded wheels. Turns out 30 min before I got there they gave my tire and wheel to another guy. Turns out he is on his way to a town 70 miles away. By the time they figure it out he is home 70 miles away. So they get his tire and wheel and send it out to him and bring mine back. They argued with me when I told them to replace the tire on my rim. I don't care if it was only 70 miles. That it is no longer a new tire and that is what I'm paying for. Eventually they did replace and 4 hours late we are on our way home.

Blue 74,
When I was 19 I had a great job as a steelworker. I walked in a Ford dealer preparing to pay cash for a new small truck. Salesman didn't take me serious so When he laughed at me I showed him my wallet and left him to loose his commission
"I won't be wronged I won't be insulted I won't be layed a hand on. I don't do these things to other people. And I require the same from them." (John Bernard Books) John Wayne The Shootist his last Movie.
CorsairIIAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 11:26 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsairIIAT View Post
Blue 74,
When I was 19 I had a great job as a steelworker. I walked in a Ford dealer preparing to pay cash for a new small truck. Salesman didn't take me serious so When he laughed at me I showed him my wallet and left him to loose his commission
I hear ya.

Checked this morning and 3 are right at 80 lbs one is flat, see ya Big O!
Old 11-30-2010, 11:51 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

I am one of those speculated about above who has had good experiences with Big O for 20 years. I never used them for anything but auto tires though. I never like hearing stories about businesses you thought had the right stuff going for them... only to find out they're like everyone else.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 06:56 PM   #9

The rest of the story.

I am going to let Big O Tire off the hook for the most part because I found the leaks yes two. I had some time and what with my new air compressor I could blow it up in short order. It appears that some one had put older GM wheels on the trailer and used metal bolt in valve stems. When I got the wheel off and could lay it down and start with the spray bottle I found the stem leaking so I tightened it up and it quit leaking. I went to the dentist and did a few things to do and got back and it was flat. So out came the air hose and I started checking the beads no problems. Then as luck would have it when I tipped the wheel back up on the tread the fluid I used ran down into the wheel and over a weld that turned into a spray, leak found. Yes that is right a weld in the back of the wheel had cracked and was leaking. I did not keep track which wheel went where but I believe this is the one that had a leak at the Grand Canyon and could not be found so I put on the spare that blew out.

So I will have to say that unless you dunk the tire and wheel checking for a leak it would not be found and unless I had a problem I would not expect Big O Tire to do that. The one thing is the first person laughing when I called and explained the problem.

So now the bigger worry is that I could have lost the center of the wheel but I think as it did the tire would go first from air loss. So OMG this is getting more expensive because I now need to buy 5 wheels to put my 5 new tires on. At some point I will get everything fix and be able to use my trailer for travel. So since the trailer is 12 years old I am looking for plain steel wheels that will handle the load and tire pressure. I know where to go buy styling wheels but where to find white steel wheels cheap?

8 lug 16 X 8.5 5” center hole 2.5” center of lug to center of lug. In the back of the center I found 3 stamps GM – USA – 6-93. So my guess is they where taken off a GM truck and where manufactured on 6-93. I could not find a stamped size as you do in after market wheels.

And my welding skills are not up to par as I tried to use a small wire welder to seal the crack up so it would hold air until I purchase new wheels.
During and after my vacation I have spent over $4,000.00 in repairs or replacement of things not working or damaged. At least it won’t sink like a boat.

Paul
Old 11-30-2010, 07:19 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I never bought anything from this outfit but they might have or can get your steel wheels:

Trailer Parts Superstore - Trailer Tires & Wheels
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 07:28 PM   #11

Please, Please be careful when welding on wheels

may be a long video but may be a life saver

pass it on
Old 11-30-2010, 07:34 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_H_E View Post
Please, Please be careful when welding on wheels

may be a long video but may be a life saver

pass it on
I did not watch the video but I did remove the valve core before I tried to weld it, have seen a few people try to weld fuel tanks...
Old 11-30-2010, 07:43 PM   #13

in the viedo, the guy tells of someone who just removed the valve stem and the wheel still exploded because the air pressure went up so quickly, the valve could not vent fast enough.

he also stated it is possible for an un seated tire to re seat itself and explode also. I think this woiuld be a rair occurance, but like i said

Please be careful welding on wheels
Old 11-30-2010, 07:47 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
I never bought anything from this outfit but they might have or can get your steel wheels:

Trailer Parts Superstore - Trailer Tires & Wheels
Thank You I had only one other site and they had one wheel. I did find a site that I could put in the tire size and get the wheel size. Looks like I can get some in cheap 16" wheels made for trailers.

Houston we have a problem.

It looks as if with the LT245/75R16 I bought I need a 6.5 to 7.5 width wheel but with the LT235/75R16 tires on my truck I need a 6 to 8 inch wide wheel. And the only ones in that size are aluminum at $105.00 to $112.00 each plus shipping and tax. The white steel ones are $39.95 to $41.00 and a funny thing is the cheaper one has a higher load rating and higher air pressure.

So who would use the white steel ones?