Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2013, 07:47 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBaron View Post
hjsdds - Where does the family ride? Are all those semi tractors pulling fivers? Is that a club of class 7 owners? So many questions...
You need a bigger trailer by the way. It looks too small behind your truck! LOL
The HDT Rallies are open to all, you don't need to have one of these trucks. Every year we have folks who come in smaller rigs or no rigs at all (stay in a hotel) and button hole all the HDT owners with questions, listen to seminars, etc. And 1-2-3 years later end up with an HDT.

hjs
hjsdds is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2013, 08:10 AM   #16

Send a message via ICQ to wandering1
So why don't you call and ask? Facts are more accurate than personal opinions.
Old 10-05-2013, 05:54 PM   #17

I just joined the forum today. Mainly looking for other Keystone Alpine owners to compare use/problems. It was "funny" that the first forum I looked at was by an Alpine owner. So back to your original question. Big Rigs are usually considered any RV over 35' in length. Many state parks and older RV parks only have sites long enough for 35' RVs. Your 39'2" (40') RV is definitely considered big. I have a 2012 Keystone Alpine 3450RL, and because if the length, height, and 4 slides, it needs the big rig site. If you see a park that can take up to 40' RVs, then you are OK because you most likely would unhitch the truck, especially if you have the 6 point auto leveler system on your Alpine.

On another subject, do you have the Towmax tires on your 5th Wheel RV? If so, lets talk about how much your rig weighs. I maxed my GVWR and had a tire blowout with damage. Do you know how to take care of your tires?
Brinsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 03:47 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinsk View Post
I just joined the forum today. Mainly looking for other Keystone Alpine owners to compare use/problems. It was "funny" that the first forum I looked at was by an Alpine owner. So back to your original question. Big Rigs are usually considered any RV over 35' in length. Many state parks and older RV parks only have sites long enough for 35' RVs. Your 39'2" (40') RV is definitely considered big. I have a 2012 Keystone Alpine 3450RL, and because if the length, height, and 4 slides, it needs the big rig site. If you see a park that can take up to 40' RVs, then you are OK because you most likely would unhitch the truck, especially if you have the 6 point auto leveler system on your Alpine.

On another subject, do you have the Towmax tires on your 5th Wheel RV? If so, lets talk about how much your rig weighs. I maxed my GVWR and had a tire blowout with damage. Do you know how to take care of your tires?
That's what I was thinking about the sites also.

I still have the TowMax tires on there as they have just over a year on them since they were manufactured. I keep the camper in heated indoor storage year,round so I'm not concerned with UV deterioration. I will be buying Maxxis tires sometime in the next 2 years just as a precaution.

We don't travel with fluids in the camper, and have not gone on any long trips yet so max GVWR is not an issue yet.

What part of your tires failed? Sidewall?
6PointOHHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 04:47 PM   #19

My tires were just under 1 year old and had about 6000 miles on them. Except for less than 5 gal of fresh water for an emergency stop and the same in my black tank to keep things loose, my tanks are always empty to keep the weight down. I am a full timer and everything I own is with me. My RV was at the 15500 GVWR and it was a hot day when the tire blew. The tire dealer surmised that the tread separated from the tire and then the belt broke. That is why I got so much damage. The steel belts are not suppose to break. I replaced all my tires and they said that 2 of the other 3 remaining tires looked like there might be a similar problem starting to develop with the tread. Last October I was traveling through PA and at a rest stop I noticed that a sidewall had a 2 inch slice in it. I caught that one before it blew. I've read many many similar stories on line. Just make sure that you check the air pressure and keep them inflated to the 80 lbs it recommends. I replaced them with a Towmaster ST235/85R16 F rated tire from Hibdon Tires Plus (a sub of Firestone). They stated that the Towmaster is ranked in the top 3 for trailer tires. The ST235/80R16 E rated tire is rated for 3520 lbs at 80 lbs of pressure. The F rated tire is rated for 3858 lbs at 90 lbs of pressure. Now I know I have enough tire to hold the weight of the Alpine.
Brinsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 07:23 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjsdds View Post
The HDT Rallies are open to all, you don't need to have one of these trucks. Every year we have folks who come in smaller rigs or no rigs at all (stay in a hotel) and button hole all the HDT owners with questions, listen to seminars, etc. And 1-2-3 years later end up with an HDT.

hjs
We had three people (couples) in hotels, one in a tent and one with a pickup truck, about a third of folks attending were "newbies" first time at the Rally.

All the Smart cars, the trike and the three 4 wheel drives arrived on the backs of these trucks.
The pickup owner wants to replace it with an HDT, it pulls OK but it "scares him" every time he wants to stop.

Few more shots of the Rally.

hjs
Old 10-13-2013, 08:44 PM   #21

Thanks for the pics!
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 03:21 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6PointOHHH View Post
So in looking up different campgrounds to stay at, I keep seeing the mention of the term "Big Rig." Can someone tell me what size 5er would be considered a big rig? I have a 2013 Keystone Alpine 3600 RS that the brochure states is 39' 2".
You are in a big-rig. We used to tow a 40' 5er with a CC, LB, dually; the few times I strayed from the big-rig category of CG's and routes I usually regretted it.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 12:02 PM   #23

New Horizons Owners Club
Hjsdds
It looks like they like to use the Big Boys to pull those New Horizons.
Old 10-27-2013, 04:14 PM   #24

They stated that the Towmaster is ranked in the top 3 for trailer tires.

I certainly would like to see that in print from some source that tests tires....

Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:32 AM   #25

It looks like they like to use the Big Boys to pull those New Horizons.[/QUOTE]
The big trucks eliminate the "pucker factor" when pulling something like the New Horizons. Since Phil took over the company they got bigger and heavier, he has done well since he found this group and started exhibiting at this Rally, sold bunch of them to these guys (up to 45 feet long).
The other companies exhibiting were SpaceCraft, DRV and Peterson came one year. They all come down pulling their show units with pickups, pucker factor is OK if you pull just now and then.
There is a "movement" to design RVs with small commercial axles and air brakes only, which would take them out of the pickup land altogether and require class 7 or 8 rigs to pull them. That would eliminate the "opportunity" for lying RV salesmen to up-sell with the nonsense "all you need is a pickup to pull THAT rig".
I no longer argue with pickup owners, if they are genuinely interested why I pull with an HDT I'll spend all the time they want, answer all their questions, if they start with "I'm good with a pickup" the conversation (politely) is over, it's tough to debate ignorance.

Here's the link to the video from the Rally

And here you can "meet" yours truly

hjs
Old 10-28-2013, 09:37 AM   #26

New Horizons Owners Club
That is where the phrase, "you can't fix stupid" comes from. I spent 20 years behind the wheel, and some of the things you see never cease to amaze you.
Old 10-30-2013, 02:12 AM   #27

Ed, that is phenomenal! Have you ever considered shocks to control "bouncing" of the air bags? Everything moves so freely I see that as a potential improvement.
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 02:34 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjsdds View Post
It looks like they like to use the Big Boys to pull those New Horizons.
The big trucks eliminate the "pucker factor" when pulling something like the New Horizons. Since Phil took over the company they got bigger and heavier, he has done well since he found this group and started exhibiting at this Rally, sold bunch of them to these guys (up to 45 feet long).
The other companies exhibiting were SpaceCraft, DRV and Peterson came one year. They all come down pulling their show units with pickups, pucker factor is OK if you pull just now and then.
There is a "movement" to design RVs with small commercial axles and air brakes only, which would take them out of the pickup land altogether and require class 7 or 8 rigs to pull them. That would eliminate the "opportunity" for lying RV salesmen to up-sell with the nonsense "all you need is a pickup to pull THAT rig".
I no longer argue with pickup owners, if they are genuinely interested why I pull with an HDT I'll spend all the time they want, answer all their questions, if they start with "I'm good with a pickup" the conversation (politely) is over, it's tough to debate

hjs[/QUOTE]

I am very interested in moving up to an HDT from our existing crewchief MDT. It was enough power/brakes with our 43ft Travel Supreme, but is seriously lacking on our newer, heavier rig (33k empty). It seems like most HDT folks end up with a volvo--why is that?

Tim
12 Tires is offline   Reply With Quote