Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2013, 08:40 PM   #1

Big window + sun = heat

I have a massive window like many RV's do these days. When the sun is on that end of the RV the heat from the sun can be unforgiving. I try to park where there will be no sun in that window but that is not always possible. The window is tinted and that seems to make the window even hotter because of absorption. Has anyone found type of external shades for these types of windows? I have looked online but have yet to locate anything.
Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2013, 08:45 PM   #2

We have manual-pull down awning that covers our door-side slide windows. There are many available, just check at CampingWorld.com to see pictures, or go by any large RV dealer with parts displays. You can get auto/manual/single/double whatever you desire.
Joe

'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:53 PM   #3

I saw all of the awning style and wish that I could go that route but they would interfere with the ladder. I was hoping to find something that would go straight up and down to stay parallel with the plane of the window.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:28 PM   #4

I never added one, but I saw a 5er with one of those plastic strand (some are bamboo) sun blockers that rolls up/down using strings.The material rolls up from the bottom. The guy mounted brackets (outside) to hold the blocker, and put up the blocker when needed to block the sun.Hard to explain, hope it makes sense. It looks like this. These of course block the sun and view.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:02 AM   #5
Yaj

Pond Piggies Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I use these, you can just see the one rolled up above the side window.
I got them through Camping World several years ago. I think they are A&E Dometic.They are see out/can't see in during the day and stop most of the sun light heat. I just pull them down with my awning rod and hook them into the hooks below the window. I've got a windshield cover made of the same material.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:27 AM   #6

We have the same issue. We went to Home Depot and got some of that window shadescreen material that comes on a roll that is is metallic, like aluminum foil, and slightly padded (can't think of what you call that stuff right now!). It's like some of those windshield sunscreens you can get for your car...

We cut it to fit... and cut smaller ones for the smaller windows too.

It really really helps - you can't feel any heat coming in at all, although it does block your view...
Groovy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:02 AM   #7

Hey Trvlr,

I used RV Shades - EZ Snap RV Shades - EZ Snap Direct to shade our windows. We're year round in the Palm Springs area and get lots of sun and heat!! Works much better than Reflextic on the inside of the windows and you can see out!!!

Regards, Hamshog
Old 01-08-2013, 08:10 AM   #8

Groovy is speaking of Reflectex, good stuff and inexpensive at Home Depot/Lowes. I have a sheet cut for every window. I use them during parts of the day on the windows in the sun and also when in storage. Since several of the windows are the same size, you'll only need a few of each to move around. The large rear window requires a seam, so I used foil faced duct tape on both sides.

At first I used velcro tab squares to hold them to the window on the inside, but then found if you cut them to fit a little tight, you can just press them in the window and they will stay put. You won't believe the difference in temperature drop. Your air conditioners will be happy for it as well.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:17 AM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosticks View Post
Groovy is speaking of Reflectex, good stuff and inexpensive at Home Depot/Lowes. I have a sheet cut for every window. I use them during parts of the day on the windows in the sun and also when in storage. Since several of the windows are the same size, you'll only need a few of each to move around. The large rear window requires a seam, so I used foil faced duct tape on both sides.

At first I used velcro tab squares to hold them to the window on the inside, but then found if you cut them to fit a little tight, you can just press them in the window and they will stay put. You won't believe the difference in temperature drop. Your air conditioners will be happy for it as well.
2x2
Here in AZ it's don't leave the MH without the Reflectex.
Home base Phoenix Az
judy3972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:37 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by judy3972 View Post

2x2
Here in AZ it's don't leave the MH without the Reflectex.
X3 we use Reflectex too...for both summer (to reflect out the heat) and winter (as insulation). Makes a huge difference. We also have an external shade from Magne Shade that we use when it's really hot.

Here's some pics of the Reflectex if you want to see what it looks like
http://wheelingit.wordpress.com/2011...ion-for-rvers/
We had to connect two pieces together for our extra high windshield.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:08 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Going down the road all you can do is use air conditieoner and perhaps an aux fan (Run a 120 volt fan off an inverter if you must)

Parked.. Reflectx.. Thisi s basically corrugated pastic (like corrugated paper but plastic) with aluminum coating, Very effective.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:12 PM   #12

I think Carefree of Colorado has what you are looking for. It's called Sunshades and is located in the accessories section on their website. They have a dealer locator on the site also. Carefree of Colorado - Recreational Vehicle Awnings.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:08 AM   #13

I put the reflective bubble-wrap inside the windows for a summer and it greatly accelerated the "creeping seal syndrome" on nearly every window. I also have the snap-on external shades, so i use them to hold the reflective material on the OUTSIDE of the coach. Works much better! A little velcro here and there helps keep things in place. wish I had enough storage room to take the windshield stuff and one set of side windows along when I'm on the road. I just use it for storage.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:38 AM   #14

NuWa offered as an option some sort of roll up/down shade on the outside for the rear window. Thought it looked tacky but I suppose it did the job.