Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-15-2017, 11:52 PM   #1

Bigger tires to help level?

5th is a 2016 Hideout - truck is a 2014 Ram. Overall, my setup is good with lots of bedrail clearance but the trailer is a couple inches nose high. I'm thinking of losing the crap stock tires and got to wondering if I could go up a size to get the 5th a bit taller. I know it wouldn't be much but I might as well take advantage if possible. Has anyone gone up a size? Any clearance issues or problems fitting on the trailer rims? I suppose there would be an issue with the spare so maybe I'd have to buy 5. This idea is very much just a fleeting thought at this point.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2017, 01:26 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
A three inch taller tire will only raise the coach 1 1/2 inches...

Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 01:35 AM   #3

By " lots of bed rail clearance " do you mean over 6" ??

I'd be tempted to lower the hitch , before raising the trailer , it's the raising of the center of gravity and increasing the tendency to roll when cornering.
Note: I flipped axles on a 5th wheel, when I changed tow vehicles , gained 5" but lost a lot of stability.
Heavier shocks , springs and tires , and I still didn't get the handling back.
You'd need 4" taller tires to raise the fiver to level and I'm pretty sure that would mess up the handling of your unit.
Old 04-16-2017, 09:19 AM   #4

If you are only "a couple of inches" nose high I wouldn't worry about it. As mentioned, lower the hitch if you have room, but you could create other problems by going with larger tires.

2017 Eagle HT 27.5 RLTS
2011 Chevy 2500HD Duramax Crew Cab 4WD
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 12:00 PM   #5

I have about 7.5" of clearance now. Lowering the setting on the 5th wheel "arm" that goes down to the kingpin is also an option. It tows fine and the nose high really isn't an issue. I just figured if I was getting tires anyway it might be a good time to get little more height.

Also, the trailer's rear bumper is super low and drags sometimes. And in all their wisdom, Keystone mounted the jacks almost completely at the back. After ripping one off on a gravel road I re-mounted them further forward. Lowering the front and/or raising with tires would all help.

I was mainly just wondering if any issues come up when going up in tire size - rubbing, won't fit on the rims, etc.
Old 04-16-2017, 12:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtofell View Post

I was mainly just wondering if any issues come up when going up in tire size - rubbing, won't fit on the rims, etc.
A larger tire , would possibly require a wider rim , a taller tire, on the same diameter rim, will have more sidewall flex.
JMHO: Adjust the hitch / pin box height first , to achieve level or 6" of box clearance , and see how close you get to level , getting a tire size that would lift the trailer about an inch , would be less of an issue with clearance , handling, and rim sizes, that trying to raise it with tires alone.
Old 04-16-2017, 01:55 PM   #7

If you're looking to get new tires anyway and can fit a 16" tire under your 5er then IMO absolutely go with 16". If you really want to take it a step further go to an LT tire. Bridgestone, Michelin and Salium all make high quality ST/LT tires that many use for upgrades over the sometimes crappy ST tires. It's a lot more money for the LT's but they'll save you money if you ever have a blowout from cheaper ST tires.
If you have 6 lug rims then you should be able to run some 16" tires. Most RV 6-5.5-16" rims are 6" wide.
A high quality tire would be something like this;
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Duravis+R 250&sidewall=Blackwall&partnum=185QR6R250&tab=Spec s

To do a complete swap would run you about $1300.
If you went with 16" ST tires it would be much less.
Goodyear has come out with a new ST tire that hasa 6 year warranty. Carisle HD's are also new and improved.
Either way JMO but moving up to 16" will solve two problems. You'll gain an inch or so in height and you can run a better tire.
Old 04-21-2017, 11:04 AM   #8

Don't think bigger tires will buy you much. I agree with lower the hitch if you have room.
bddadles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 10:00 PM   #9

Of course we don't know what your current tires/rims are?

16" Sailuns LR-G are kinda tall, about 31" OD. good value.
Lower the hitch or raise pin box one notch.
Level towing is a good practice for all components.

Be well.
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 12:11 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtofell View Post
5th is a 2016 Hideout - truck is a 2014 Ram. Overall, my setup is good with lots of bedrail clearance but the trailer is a couple inches nose high. I'm thinking of losing the crap stock tires and got to wondering if I could go up a size to get the 5th a bit taller. I know it wouldn't be much but I might as well take advantage if possible. Has anyone gone up a size? Any clearance issues or problems fitting on the trailer rims? I suppose there would be an issue with the spare so maybe I'd have to buy 5. This idea is very much just a fleeting thought at this point.
Check the leaf springs are the right size.

You could also add one of the suspension enhancement kits like Timbren Morryde Equaflex Dexter EZ-Flex.........some of these will add lift.

jtbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 10:24 PM   #11

Get rid of the pick up bed and go to one of those aluminum flat beds with lots of tool boxes. You will never regret the upgrade. Ever try to reach something right in the middle of that damn pickup bed? Now you can boondock without worrying about bed clearance. 6 inch is not enough clearance for any real adventurer.

Tags
tires