Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-31-2017, 06:21 AM   #1

BigHorn after 2 years

So, we have owned our Big Horn 3160EL for 2 years. Overall it has been a good RV but today I bring her in for a laundry list of issues.

1. Drivers side slide creeps out when in. This is a pain for every 10 miles I have to suck the slide in via the remote. Becomes more pronounced when rv leans when driving or even stopped.

2. Furnace no longer works. Will not turn on.

3. Shower area has a leak. No visible leak from up top so will need to get up underneath to find it.

4. Both Fantastic fans failed. The fix is to replace the control board.

5. Skirt light by steps no longer works.

6. Slide toppers pool water. So they need to. E tightened some how.

7. Propane tank straps failed. Broke free and latches failed.

Thoughts
edrayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2017, 06:31 AM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
The furnace probably needs internal cleaning for cobwebs and such, the slides would be my main concern. Are they electric or hydraulic?

Appears you are out of warranty. Good luck.
Old 08-31-2017, 06:41 AM   #3

Slides are hydraulic. Yes I am out of warranty. Have an extended warranty I purchased for Wholesale Warranties. If my claims are denied I will be canceling and getting most of my money back.
Old 08-31-2017, 06:46 AM   #4

Good luck with the warranty. Please update this thread on your success or lack of using the warranty as people are always looking for information on extended warranty's!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 06:56 AM   #5

Slide toppers pooling water! Totally normal. There are lots of suggested solutions for this issue.
Furnace? Sail switch or dirty. Pretty common.
Slide creap? Replace the valve. And flush the hydraulic system. Contamination likely has the check valve stuck open.
The rest of the stuff is sort of parr for the course. RVs have a lot of moving parts all of which need to be checked and maintained. I'm guessing you might not be capable of doing minor repairs or do you simply lack the knowledge? Not slamming you, but you really need to learn to do all the little things before they become big things.
Old 09-01-2017, 03:02 PM   #6

Evergreen Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
Slide toppers pooling water! Totally normal. There are lots of suggested solutions for this issue.
Furnace? Sail switch or dirty. Pretty common.
Slide creap? Replace the valve. And flush the hydraulic system. Contamination likely has the check valve stuck open.
The rest of the stuff is sort of parr for the course. RVs have a lot of moving parts all of which need to be checked and maintained. I'm guessing you might not be capable of doing minor repairs or do you simply lack the knowledge? Not slamming you, but you really need to learn to do all the little things before they become big things.
I feel you are out of line. You first of all don't know this persons physical condition. 2nd I see nothing in his list to be "small things" that he could have maintained to prevent failure other than possibly checking the furnace sail switch (if it has one) for cobwebs or whatnot.
schrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 04:20 PM   #7

Hello everyone. Well the Big Horn went in today and they are having fun trying to fix the issues.

The furnace started no issue. So, why did it not work last week....Mystery.

Leek in shower area. They could not find the source. I could not find the source. So we have a leak but no idea where it is from. Even dropped the pan. Will continue to search.

For the slide. Still working on it.

Fan still working on it but suspect the control board for this is my third fantastic fan that had this issue. Fan does not spin but if you wait a few minutes it turns on full spread for about 20 seconds.

Slide toppers needed adjusting for when you pull in the slide the toppers do not roll in some times and then snap like a rubber band and roll up.

Will keep you informed.
Old 09-03-2017, 10:29 PM   #8

Hope you get it all straightened out--if you think to trade for any other unit, you could still face most of these issues...
Yes, please let us know how the Wholesale Warranty deal works out--been considering them myself.
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 08:54 AM   #9

Slide is a valve that is bleeding pressure back into the ram.

Explain more about the shower leak. Is water coming out from under the pan? or what?

Tank straps- Made in China.....

Furnace is a sail switch as others have said. or a Mud Dobbers nest that broke loose while driving.
Old 09-04-2017, 08:15 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
See if they will switch the fans out for Maxx Fans.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 10:24 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
BigHorn after 2 years

If you paid 200k, stuff will still go wrong. That's the industry unfortunately. Somewhere on these forums is a guy who paid 300k+ for a MH and had a list of 65 items that needed repair.
Patience is a virtue with an RV! Hope it al gets fixed to your satisfaction. Are you in the Heartland Owners Group? Lots of great help on there as well! The extended warranty may pay for some of it, but they don't pay for everything!
Oldelevatorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 08:17 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrod View Post
I feel you are out of line. You first of all don't know this persons physical condition. 2nd I see nothing in his list to be "small things" that he could have maintained to prevent failure other than possibly checking the furnace sail switch (if it has one) for cobwebs or whatnot.
I think the point of the post was that none of the items mentioned are that unusual for the life of an RV. And I agree 100%. Considering all that can go wrong, those mentioned are not major.

I don't think it matters whether repairs are done by the owner or a shop as long as they get done. Best of luck.
Old 04-12-2018, 01:27 PM   #13

Well today we finally fixed the slide. The issue was a bad slide ram on the opposite side. The leak is still a mystery for we can not find source. Fans, after 6 replacements we completely pulled new power and ground. Now they work. Sending everything to warranty company. If they deny the claim I will cancel and get most of my money back.
Old 04-17-2018, 04:44 PM   #14

I had a shower leak that took me a while to find
turned out to be a pipe fitting with no plastic gasket
08Carriage is offline   Reply With Quote