Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2015, 11:34 PM   #29

Thumbs down Thinking of buying a Big Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by loria View Post
We're looking to by a Bighorn 5er by Heartland. Any thoughts out there? We have keystone Cougar now for trade it's just too small for us.
I would suggest you get down-right personal with any RV you are considering. We owned a 2012 Big Horn and generally, was pleased with the unit for the 3 years we owned it. It was comfortable; it had the same service issues as with any RV. What it did have however, where the typical buyer and many owners don't see, is poor workmanship behind bulkheads and panels where wire ways and water lines are run. The problem was wire and plumbing (PEX tubing) not being secured but simply lying around unsecured as it was run throughout the coach. I found this issue in not only our Big Horn, but also in other brands we looked through. We found pretty much the same lack of quality workmanship in a Jayco Pinnacle that we looked over in Des Moines this past fall. It was built like they were trying to get away from work in a hurry on a Friday afternoon and go home.

After deciding that we wanted to part with the Big Horn last November, we decided we wanted to stay with a 5th wheel for livability/space, and settled down to 2 different rigs, the Mobil Suites and the Dynamax Trilogy. We settled with the Trilogy due mostly to the floor plan, but felt both units had good workmanship where the eye meets the product, and behind bulkheads, i.e. cleanliness of wiring and plumbing, insulation installation, etc. I'm not trying to run the Big Horn in the ground; we enjoyed the rig. I simply feel that quality workmanship and quality assurance is not a priority for many manufactures. Good luck with your inspection and your selection.

gebills is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2015, 12:07 AM   #30

Well for $20,000+ more you would hope the Dynamax was built better.

Old 01-06-2015, 10:47 AM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
Well for $20,000+ more you would hope the Dynamax was built better.
I would hope that the workmanship would be similar on all of the product lines since many are built on the same line. The price difference should be in the quality and selection of the materials and appliances.

Sloppy workmanship is a function of management and will carry through all of the lines IMO.
Old 01-08-2015, 06:12 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrimscher View Post
What ever model you select, pay close attention to tires. We bought a new Bighorn 3070 and had two blowouts with only 8000 miles on the tires. We had a lot of damage which is now repaired and have installed 4 new "G" load 14 ply tires. If you can upgrade at the dealer you would be wise.
Hubby is a truck driver and knows all about tires. He would never run with recaps. We bought this rig and put the best tires he could find that weren't from China, 2 the dealer put on were. He put them on the inside on 3 axles. Guess which had a blow out in less than 2000 miles. Yep the Chinese tire we had in the middle, so no damage. We instantly bought 3 more tires and replaced the one left from the dealer's choice and put the last one for our spare.
Old 01-08-2015, 06:15 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
I would hope that the workmanship would be similar on all of the product lines since many are built on the same line. The price difference should be in the quality and selection of the materials and appliances.

Sloppy workmanship is a function of management and will carry through all of the lines IMO.
I agree with that. So many coaches we've looked at, I can't imagine how they got out of the factory. Obvious messups even. Makes you wonder what you can't see, that the person in charge of quality control misses.
Old 01-25-2015, 11:53 PM   #34

It just comes down to what you like personally. However Heartland has had a lot of complaints over the last year...mainly due to quality control. I would also look at the Grand Design Solitude, Keystone Montana, and Evergreen Bay Hill. They all copy each other on the floor plans. It just comes down to which one has the most to offer...meaning what kind of mattress do you get in each? Full size (20cu.ft.) fridge with icemaker etc (many 2015-2016 models have them)...dishwasher? (yes dishwasher...comes standard in the Bay Hill). Just do a little research and don't make any knee jerk decisions and you'll make a good choice.
Old 02-01-2015, 12:07 PM   #35

Big Horn

We looked at the Big Horn front living room model...nice camper. Settled on another make. Doesn't seem to matter what brand you buy though, you're going to have issues. It's a shame the RV companies can't offer better quality for what they sell.
Old 02-01-2015, 12:10 PM   #36

I can't understand this whole issue. We paid more for our 5th wheel than we did for our house (many years ago). Some of the problems we've experienced are unbelievable and the service shops have attitudes about looking after warranty repairs. The biggest concern for me is the owner's manual. For my 2015 40 ft 5th wheel my owner's manual was great to start the last campfire we had...it held little to nothing in the way of instructions on how to set up or close our camper. Very annoying.
Old 02-02-2015, 08:53 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshalone View Post
I can't understand this whole issue. We paid more for our 5th wheel than we did for our house (many years ago). Some of the problems we've experienced are unbelievable and the service shops have attitudes about looking after warranty repairs. The biggest concern for me is the owner's manual. For my 2015 40 ft 5th wheel my owner's manual was great to start the last campfire we had...it held little to nothing in the way of instructions on how to set up or close our camper. Very annoying.
Yes, it is tremendously difficult to understand. And this is not the only industry to "not see the light", I'm sorry to say. Having an adequate owners manual would be a huge benefit to an owner, and somehow, the manufactures fail to see this "benefit to owners" as a benefit to the manufacturer as well. The cost of developing a reasonable owners manual would be a negligible cost, and would certainly be a benefit to the manufacturer as well as the owner.

gebills is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heartland