Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2017, 08:41 AM   #1

KZ RV Club
Black Tank deodorizer

I have had some sort of camping trailer since 1984 and have been using either Thetford Aqua-chem or the orange stuff from Camco with good results at keeping the "stink" out. The new 5ver however it doesn't seem to work as well. Any suggestions? What do you all use?
jetzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2017, 08:47 AM   #2

We use the Thetford Campa-chem liquid. Its the only one that works for us.

It comes in 6 packs of bottles. It usually takes 2 of them, but will last us the 3 weeks or so it takes us to fill the 55 gallon black. Its a big tank tho.
mrgrayaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 09:10 AM   #3

Are you adding lots of water to the black tank before using it? And are you using the black tank rinse most of the time? We've never used any of the black tank chemicals and never have any stink. We fill it with several gallons of water prior to use. Rinse with the black tank flush as often as possible. We didn't do this on our previous TT and we had stinky problems. JMO but those chemicals just mask other issues.

The other issue is, maybe your ball valve isn't sealing right. Does the toilet hold water 100% of the time. After flushing there should be about 1/2" of water still in the toilet. Just enough to cover the valve.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 09:32 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
I totally agree with Cumminsfan... if you have a black tank odor inside your rv, you have an equipment malfunction. A seal, gasket, vent... is not operating as it should. You really need to determine the problem rather than just trying to mask the odor.

I know that some people use the black tank chemicals just because they "think" they are needed or that others have told them to use it. Do a search here and on other rv forums and you'll find that most of the more experienced rv'ers do NOT use any black tank chemicals at all. Lots of water and occasional dose of laundry or dish detergent with 5 gallons of water when traveling will keep the tank clean of sticking solids and tp....not to mention keeping the tank sensors operating normally.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 09:45 AM   #5

Carolina Campers
When I dump the black water tank, I do the black water flush until I see clear water in the clear adapter elbow. Next step is to close the black water valve and add a few gallons of water while I still have the hose for the black water flush attached. That way, next time just have to drop in a pod (yes, I do add chemicals) and I am ready to go.

I figure it helps leaving a few gallons of clean water in the black tank all the time (winterizing is the exception).

Agree with the importance of leaving enough water in the bowl to cover the valve completely.
Old 04-26-2017, 10:21 AM   #6

If you have sewer smell one of the first things to be checking is your batteries. It may not be the sewer at all but the batteries gassing and getting hot.

Brad
bddadles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 10:23 AM   #7

I forgot. In case it is the sewer we use Campa chem by Thetford.

Brad
bddadles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 10:39 AM   #8

You guys really think a tank full of black material isn't going to stink after three weeks when you flush the toilet? No matter how clean the tank is when you start?

Because when you flush that toliet, you open up a direct air path to a tank literally full of ****. Even if every single one of your seals is good (which ours are). Ours literally drops straight in. You can use a flashlight and look down the toilet into the tank if you want, and I do often, when flushing the tank out.

You flush the toilet, it smells. You use a $ 1.50 chemical. You flush the toilet, it doesn't smell...*shrug*
Old 04-26-2017, 10:46 AM   #9

We use "Happy Camper" and it works well, even in 100 plus degree weather. It is also environmentally friendly.
KarlH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 10:47 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlH View Post
We use "Happy Camper" and it works well, even in 100 plus degree weather. It is also environmentally friendly.
We use the same.

Blondiega1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 11:08 AM   #11

KZ RV Club
Forgot to mention the smell only happens after flushing. Thought at first I had a clogged black tank vent tube but I checked it and it is clear.

Cumminsfan, we use plenty of water when flushing and always flush the black tank after dumping. Also the ball valve seals fine on the toilet.

I use the same practice on the new 5ver as I have on all the other TT's and 5ver's I have owned and never had a odor problem. The only thing that is different is that this 5ver has a bigger black tank. My last one had a 37 gallon tank the new one is 52 gallons.

Could it be that I am just not using enough deodorizer? At this point I am willing to try almost anything.
jetzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 11:21 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetzen View Post
Forgot to mention the smell only happens after flushing. Thought at first I had a clogged black tank vent tube but I checked it and it is clear.

Cumminsfan, we use plenty of water when flushing and always flush the black tank after dumping. Also the ball valve seals fine on the toilet.

I use the same practice on the new 5ver as I have on all the other TT's and 5ver's I have owned and never had a odor problem. The only thing that is different is that this 5ver has a bigger black tank. My last one had a 37 gallon tank the new one is 52 gallons.

Could it be that I am just not using enough deodorizer? At this point I am willing to try almost anything.

We definitely notice that 1 Campa-Chem is not enough with the 55gal - after about a week it starts to smell again. Then we just dump in another Campa-Chem and we're good for the remainder.
Old 04-26-2017, 11:22 AM   #13

I think I read all this not too long ago and there was no consensus then either.

Some folks used chemicals and some didn't.

We've used Aqua Chem since the '70's and still do. It works for us.

Try adding a little more if it is something you like to see if that helps. I have always used one bottle, but your tank is larger than any of ours have been.

Best of luck with it.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 11:45 AM   #14

I won't get into the use chemicals/no chemicals debate, but for those of you with odor issues be sure you turn off the vent fan and allow it to stop before flushing....

2017 Eagle HT 27.5 RLTS
2011 Chevy 2500HD Duramax Crew Cab 4WD
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black tank, tank

« Cardinal | Question »