Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-16-2016, 06:37 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayle1 View Post
Black is always 3 inch and gray is always 1.5 inch. Chances are the cable is not the problem but the valve itself is clogged with debris. Stuff does stick to the blade and it can also build up inside the cavity that the blade opens into. If you disassemble the valve, clean it, lube it and reassemble it then it will work better. Then in the future, flush the tanks very well, add dish soap as a lubricant. If you don't want to tackle the messy job, then use a mixture of mineral oil and water. 1/2 gal oil and 2 gal water, with the valve closed let it sit for a few hrs then dump it into a bucket and repeat several times. Then repeat with the black valve.
Sorry to disagree but both my black and gray tanks are 3". My Galley tank is 1 1/2". I have a Montana per
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2016, 10:26 PM   #16

Here is my system for lubricating both sides of the blades and the groove of both of my drain valves including the toilet flush valve. Been doing this for 19 years, still have the original valves.

First drain and flush both tanks to flush out all solid matter. Close both dump valves.

I have a 3 inch termination cap that has a garden hose bib, attach a small plastic garden hose ball valve to the hose bib to act as a control valve, install the cap on the end of the RV drain pipe with the hose bib/control valve at the lowest position. Shut the control valve. Attach short piece of drain hose/bucket if desired. I just let it drain onto the gravel next to my RV concrete parking slab.

Put about 5-8 gal of water in each tank (just make sure that you have more than 3 inches in the black tank and more than 1 1/2 inches in the grey tank). Put about 1/2 pint of mineral oil in each tank. (about $2.50/pt at Wally World) When you put it down the toilet and opening the flush valve slowly it will lubricate the toilet flush valve blade, when you put it down a sink/shower drain with a "P" trap use a lot of water to flush it out of the "P trap.

Open the black tank drain valve about 1/2 way. This will fill the cavity between the drain valve and the termination cap. Open the control valve a small amount, you want a stream of water smaller than pencil diameter. Remember that the oil will float on the top of the water. As the water slowly drains out occasionally cycle the drain valve open/close, leave the drain valve about 1/2 open until the next time to cycle it. As the oil level interface goes down this will ensure that both sides of the blade and the groove are coated with oil. I have been always been able to feel the ease at wich the valve operates when the oil is coating the blade.

Repeat doing the gray tank drain valve.
Old 08-18-2016, 03:20 PM   #17

Thanks Richard....from the description of the process it sounds like that could really work with running it back thru enough times!
Kksfish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black tank, newbie, tank