Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2013, 04:34 PM   #1

Black Tank Flush

I picked up my Brand New, 2014, Heartland Landmark San Antonio on Saturday. Now I know I should have caught this during the PDI but that's another story... I was getting ready to shut down the coach after our first night in it. I turn on the water to the black flush and I can hear water running and within seconds I see water coming out from under the basement wall. So I shut off the water, remove the portion of the wall behind the UDC, and tighten the fitting, sounds good, right? Wrong. I turn on the black flush again and again water comes rushing out. This time, since the wall is gone, I can see the water coming down from where the pipes go up behind the shower wall. So, water off again, take off the panel behind the shower and I see two pex pipes, one blue and the other red, with nothing attached to them. The black tank flush is flowing out of the blue pex pipe (the shower connects were all fine, no leaks). Now I know that the black tank flush is supposed to go to an anti siphon valve so my guess is, at this point, that is was just not put on. But then, was it supposed to go from a blue (cold water) pipe, into the anti siphon valve, and then down into a red (hot water) pipe? Interesting. So, I get a flash light and look down inside the wall and and see what looks like the anti siphon valve at the bottom of the wall. So, maybe, they did put it on and just did not put it on tight so that when I ran it it popped off (by the way, both my water lines are after my pressure regulator so I know the max pressure was only 50 psi). Or maybe, that is not the anti siphon valve and they just forgot to put on in. Either way, I now have water damage to the basement wall and my bedroom carpet got wet, and the wall board got wet.

So if anyone has any thoughts on my Black Tank Flush issue, I'd really appreciate it. If it is an easy fix (like attach the Anti Siphon Valve to the blue and red pipe) then I might just do it my self.

Now, all this aside, WE LOVE OUR LANDMARK! Oh, My, Gosh, the basement is at least 3 times the size of the basement on my previous coach, leveling took approx 1.5 minutes and I did not have to bend over or stoop down once, the AC's kept the coach cool, the awnings are actually functional, I could go on and on.

Ronn Greengas
2014 Heartland Landmark San Antonio
2012 F350 SRW FX4
Pullright Auto Slide Hitch

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2013, 04:53 PM   #2

I would take it back to the dealer to fix water problem and replace the water damage.

Old 08-11-2013, 06:22 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
go back to the dealer. it appears they did not perform the pre delivery check very well.

2017 Solitude by Grand Design
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 06:47 PM   #4

First, since the black tank flush lacks any kind of shutoff valve, it is basically an open hose, there should be almost no pressure on any fitting or connection to completely disconnect the line or fitting. So, the issue was probably not your fault, with or without a pressure regulator. Along the same line, there is no reason to use PEX lines, since there is no water pressure, a simple hose is all that is needed. Finally, there is no valid plumbing logic for a single line to switch from blue to red PEX. And why even run the black tank flush line anywhere inside a wall? My point is don't guess on this, make the dealer and Landmark figure out the mistake, fix it and repair all damages.
dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 02:26 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Just a comment. I had the regulator on the black flush start leaking and replaced it with a brass one (Keystone put in a cheap plastic one). Seems to be working now.
Old 08-12-2013, 04:08 AM   #6

please remove
Old 08-12-2013, 04:18 AM   #7

I removed the valve from behind the wall of the shower and tied the two lines together down in the basement. Check to make sure you have a check valve in the line so you get no back flow and you are good to go. Interesting that my pex lines to this valve were both blue. It is an easy fix. Good luck.
Old 08-12-2013, 07:00 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobilcastle View Post
I removed the valve from behind the wall of the shower and tied the two lines together down in the basement. Check to make sure you have a check valve in the line so you get no back flow and you are good to go. Interesting that my pex lines to this valve were both blue. It is an easy fix. Good luck.
Thanks for the info. That is what I plan to do. In fact, I was contacted by another Heartland owner who lives in my area and he is going to stop by and help walk me through this. I still will be going to the dealer for any damage repair but I need to get my coach back on the road. My only worry is the two different pipe colors. But since nothing seems to be coming out of the red pex pipe I am going to trace it down and if I see it goes to the black tank then I will hook up to it.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:11 PM   #9

If you are going to fix it be sure to get pictures first. They could deny that anything was ever wrong.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:07 PM   #10

Problem solved. Believe it or not when the were cutting the access panel they cut right through the pipes and the anti siphon valve fell to the bottom. Not sure how no one ever noticed but..... Anyway all is fixed. Here is a photo of what was retrieved from the bottom of the wall.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4172993137.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	506.6 KB
ID:	44175

Thanks to everyone for their guidance. I really appreciate it.
Old 08-15-2013, 03:44 AM   #11
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for the update. It's a shame that they didn't catch that.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:43 PM   #12

The black tank flushing system should not need an anti-siphon valve, it does need an back-flow prevention valve. Every back-flush system I've seen has the water hose directly from the hose connection on the side of the trailer to the fitting on the side of the black tank.
I would be 100% sure I'm not cross-connecting to the fresh water system. Unauthorized modifications may void your warranty.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 03:56 PM   #13

The factory did it, make it their problem. As was said above, if you repair it, they can deny it. I would have taken it back to the dealer after videoing everything that you found. I like the picture that you took. That way is is plain that someone at the factory was in a hurry.
Swamp Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:04 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamp Man View Post
The factory did it, make it their problem. As was said above, if you repair it, they can deny it. I would have taken it back to the dealer after videoing everything that you found. I like the picture that you took. That way is is plain that someone at the factory was in a hurry.
I agree with you about having the factory/dealer repair the issue. But, I won't be able to get my coach to the dealer until early September and I have several trips planned before that. So, I've talked with both the dealer and factory, sent them the photos and they know I expect them to evaluate the repair I did and then put in "their" fix when I bring the coach in for the normal assortment of new trailer items. The factory already stepped up and is sending me a good amount of cash for my inconvenience. I am working with the dealer on the same issue because they mobile repair person they put on the case could not get the fix done to meet my time frame so in a way, I saved them several hundred dollars. Should be interesting.

Tags
tank