Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-06-2015, 04:12 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Black tank problem like never before!

Please read this fully before you reply, we have tryed many of the most popular remedies already!

This is on my BIL 28ft Outback 5er. The toilet will not flush, waste water is backed up into bowl.
We have drained the tank, level didn't change, we have ran a 12 ft sewer snake down the toilet that must have curled up in tank but did not allow bowl to drain, we have back washed the tank to the point the water flows back out as clean as it goes in, no change in bowl.
We can back wash the tank, then close black tank valve and it holds the water till we open gate again and the tank drains but not the toilet bowl.

He has pored some pretty caustic plumbing chemicals down the toilet to try to get it to drain and nothing.

Was totally surprised that the sewer snake didn't at least get it to drain from bowl, but nothing!

Help!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2015, 04:17 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Sounds like you'll have to pull the toilet. I wouldn't use any caustic chemicals in your system whatsoever.

2006 Alpine Apex M-40FDQS #75594
2014 Honda CRV w/navi
Janet and Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 04:27 PM   #3

If you have run a snake down through the bowl contents and the bowl is still not draining you have some very squishy material plugging the pipe. It has be be able to be penetrated and then self seal. I would hope it would drain slowly over a couple of days. IF that worked it would make working with a smaller load of water easier. A short snake might give you a better feel of what is happening. One needs to get a feel for when the screw end is in the blockage so it can be used to rip it up if it will not pull or push.

Another idea that might work is a shop vac with a hose adapter big enough to cover the opening. Sometimes it's easier to suck it out than to push it down.

I wonder if somebody dumped one of those super absorbent pad things down there. Some of those bagged gels could make a real mess. Drain cleaners are usually made to eat grease. Not sure what eats the pads or diapers that use that technology.
Old 07-06-2015, 04:27 PM   #4

I agree with Janet and Todd. I think the toilet needs to come out. It is not a difficult job, just make sure your water source is off...
Old 07-06-2015, 04:33 PM   #5

Should NEVER add any kind of "caustic chemicals" down a plastic plumming system. Better pull the comode!
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 04:40 PM   #6

Not sure of the wording, but maybe the pipe from the roof has slipped down.

Try snaking from the roof.

And how far does the snake go down before it hits the clog??
Old 07-06-2015, 05:18 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by anneb View Post
Not sure of the wording, but maybe the pipe from the roof has slipped down.

Try snaking from the roof.

And how far does the snake go down before it hits the clog??
Did you completetly read the first post?

"we have ran a 12 ft sewer snake down the toilet that must have curled up in tank but did not allow bowl to drain"

I assume that they went past the clog if 12 foot of snake went down the pipe.
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 05:27 PM   #8
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Yep, line a wet dry vacuum with a plastic bag and act like the honeywagon. Pull the toilet. Do you know the model of the toilet?

There has been a couple of cases where the tank cutout was not removed and lodged in place but not likely in your situation.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 07:15 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ok thanks everyone, we had to leave the state park he was parked at so on the way home only Some of the fluids drained out of the bowl, meaning it's leaking past clog slowly. We will try the shop vac tomorrow and possibly remove the toilet. As I said before, it's my BIL and his decision to use the acids. He was contemplating din-o-mit!

When pushing snake down it really never hit a hard block, mushy all the way. As much as we wanted to blame it on the kids, it started acting up before the kids arrived! Lol

BIL is now worried about the damage the acids may have done. His thinking was once the clog opens then he would flush everything with water several times. Clog never opened.

Amazing the looks we were getting from the other campers, like we were inconveniencing them on purpose.

Thanks everyone, stay tuned, we'll battle this till the end, Then BIL will owe me big time!
Old 07-06-2015, 08:20 PM   #10

Most drain cleaners are not acids, they are a strong base. Given the amount of plastic plumbing installed in housed as well as motor homes and trailers I would not panic about using either one. Some folks do but most of them do not know what they are messing with. Sewer pipe plastic is pretty tough stuff.

I'm not sure why folks are telling you to pull the toilet. If it is a standard dump down the hole with no trap I am not sure you will gain anything. If it is a house type toilet with a trap built in then you might.
Old 07-06-2015, 08:29 PM   #11

Have you tried an old fashion plunger? Might be enough to push blockage on down or at least loosen it up.
Old 07-06-2015, 08:30 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
One of our friends has a Class A Damon. He ran into a problem where the black water tank would fill up and he could open the drain and nothing would come out. He tried everything and finally resorted to taking a hose and shoving it up the drain and just started working at if from the bottom (NASTY BUSINESS). Turns out he had the infamous toilet paper Tepee that had migrated over the drain. He said it was essentially like hard cardboard.

You might have the same type of situation.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 08:30 PM   #13

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
huntski,
With the black tank drain open and the water shut off to the toilet, hold the flapper open and stick a water hose down through the clog, then have someone turn the hose on, move water hose up and down a few inches back and forth, the clog should start going away. It sounds like you have the dreaded poo mountain under the toilet and that it built up to the pipe, It takes a while to clear this up, but it can be done.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 08:42 PM   #14

It sounds like it is worth asking if he leaves his black tank valve open....If yes that probably answers it.

Tags
tank