Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2016, 02:17 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Black tank sensors

We have a 2015 Heartland Big Country and have had problems with the black tank sensors since we have owned it. Unfortunately for us we bought this 5th wheel to be tied down and can't take it to a dealer. Anyone have any suggestions to clean the sensors so we can get a good reading? After cleaning it, it reads empty until we put stuff in the tank and then goes to fill. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Linda

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2016, 02:43 PM   #2

I had the same problem as you and ended up installing the SeeLevel brand holding tank monitor system, it works great.

The information is out there, all you have to do is let it in.

Old 03-14-2016, 07:52 PM   #3

The factory sensors will always be problematic because they are inside the tanks. As already suggested, get an aftermarket setup, the Seelevel II system is a good one, but there are several others as well. These systems use external sensors that detect fluid levels using capacitive coupling. The Seelevel II system only needs a single wire for all the tanks. When I installed mine, I used the existing wire so I didn't need to pull a new wire from the tanks to the control panel.
dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 09:22 PM   #4

Are you using the black tank flush? It's not a cure all but does help somewhat.
Old 03-15-2016, 04:58 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Prospector View Post
I had the same problem as you and ended up installing the SeeLevel brand holding tank monitor system, it works great.

The information is out there, all you have to do is let it in.
Another vote for SeeLevel.
Old 03-15-2016, 11:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldyoungs View Post
We have a 2015 Heartland Big Country and have had problems with the black tank sensors since we have owned it. Unfortunately for us we bought this 5th wheel to be tied down and can't take it to a dealer. Anyone have any suggestions to clean the sensors so we can get a good reading? After cleaning it, it reads empty until we put stuff in the tank and then goes to fill. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Linda
You might try using one of the tank rinsing wands that you stick down the toilet. You might also consider filling the tank with a solution such as the one that's used in the Geo method and letting it soak for awhile... something with a wetting agent, water softener and cleaning solution.

Other's have suggested the SeeLevel sensors but there is another kind you might consider called Horst Miracle Probes.
Old 03-15-2016, 11:10 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Can you shut the water off and look down the toilet with a flashlight into the black tank?

Cost: Almost zero to zero.
Old 03-16-2016, 06:11 AM   #8

Dawn dish detergent and hot water worked for me.
DTG173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 06:41 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldyoungs View Post
Linda
Why do you need sensors anyway?
Fulltimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 07:02 AM   #10

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulltimer View Post
Why do you need sensors anyway?
Best answer so far!

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 03:11 AM   #11

Sensors have never worked for us and this is our 8th year full-time. We don't care. If it burps dump. It will either be full or a clogged vent. Works for us.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 08:17 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
not sure what you mean by problem...but I purchased a 2006 5ver, and the sensors showed 1/3 on gray and 2/3 black. so...did some googling on the subject and Did some more research on this subject.

this was my the findings... It seems that the problem is...build up of "stuff" in the holes of the jets/opening to spray water into the tank. Also, my tank sensors are reading full even when the tank is empty. Which, from what I've read is the same "stuff" is on the side of tanks.
Now, got a few ways to try...
#1. the "Geo" method https://sites.google.com/site/cbruni/
#2. with tank empty, add 4 ounces of yeast, 10 ounces of peroxide and 1 gallon of water. As you are going down the road it is sloshing all over the tank and cleaning it good.
#3. similar to #1, but uses Dawn dishwasher soap.
Question is...what works best for trying to dissolve old residue?

BTW...just did Oxyclean and Calgin with a gallon of hot water, then filled tank with cold water...going to let it set for 24 hrs or so.... cleaned it a bit...but what reallly worked was two days of driving and 1000 miles with almost full tanks of my #3. solution, then drained...sensors are reading empty! worked for me.
5.9l cummins in a 03 RAM 3500 DRW, pulling a 07 Jayco Designer 34RLQS... all new to me...haul'en me, my sweetie...and man's best friend, our stubby tailed (no tail at all) Australian cattle & Boxer mix rescue dog!
oldeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 08:20 PM   #13

Damon Owners Club
if they nevered worked from brand new... u don't have a dirty sensor issue. just my 2 cents!
5.9l cummins in a 03 RAM 3500 DRW, pulling a 07 Jayco Designer 34RLQS... all new to me...haul'en me, my sweetie...and man's best friend, our stubby tailed (no tail at all) Australian cattle & Boxer mix rescue dog!
oldeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 07:03 PM   #14

Either was not new. Really see no need for black tank sensors.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black tank, tank