Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2015, 06:37 PM   #1

Black tank won't drain

Help,, I have a 2002 HR Presidential 5th wheel with the remote cable operated tank valves. I cannot get the black tank valve to open even though the cable does move the gate valve rod as it should, and of course the tank is full according to the monitor panel.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this without making a stinky mess all over the ground?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2015, 06:52 PM   #2

Have you visually verified the tank is full--looked down the toilet bowl?
If it is full, can you access the valve and verify the rod hasn't come loose from the valve itself? If the rod has come loose from the valve, should be able to get hold of the valve by taking off the cable itself and pulling the valve out by the stem.
Joe

'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 07:29 PM   #3

I've looked down the toilet but it is not a straight shot down to the tank; I could not see anything in the line though. The cable does move the collar it is attached to between it and the valve rod and it looks like the rod is moving but I can't be sure. I will try marking the rod to see if it moves at all by pulling and pushing the cable handle; hopefully it's something simple like a loose collar and I can move the rod with a pair of pliers or vice grips. Thanks for the help wingnut60.
Old 05-23-2015, 09:48 AM   #4

Any report of what the problem was?
Old 05-23-2015, 07:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
Any report of what the problem was?
Wingnut60, sorry, I've got a very slow WIFI connection here and very poor cell coverage.
The problem seems to be the rod that pulls the gate in the valve has broken loose from it. I consulted an RV tech that does onsite repair and he found a post on the Airstream forum regarding this problem with a solution with photo's. Waste valve handle and rod pulled out of the valve - Airstream Forums. He can't get to it until later next week so I will try draining it myself using this procedure after the holiday weekend.
Since the campground is full I don't want to take the chance of making a mess on the ground and spoiling others weekend so I will wait until Tuesday to try the repair.

Thanks for your help,

Mike
Old 05-28-2015, 08:10 PM   #6

Well, it took a long time but it's finally fixed. We bought this 5er used in March and had not used it until last week, the previous owner dumped all the tanks before we got it and they had been staying in it for the winter in Florida so I thought everything would work fine. I cut into the valve as shown in the link from the Airstream forum quoted earlier; that didn't work out to well, it started spraying me with black water but did stop after a few seconds. We tried finding someone on the internet that would pump out the tank from the toilet without success. I then asked Jim Stillson, the owner of the park we're in, Wildwood Outdoor Escape, if he knew of anyone that could pump it out. He has a pump he uses to pump out tanks on the lots here that don't have a sewer hookup but he had nothing that would fit down through the toilet since it's not a straight shot to the tank. He offered to take a look at it and cut a portion out of the part of the valve where the gate slides out with the dremel tool and flexible extension I bought to see if it was moving, it was working as it was supposed to so that left a clog before the valve as the final solution. He connected his pump to the drain and had a piece of 1/2" PVC he shoved down the toilet to break up the clog. Eventually it did break loose and it pumped out the tank. Jim then proceeded to replace the valve with the new one I had purchased with the only assistance from me was handing him tools! I tried to pay him but he refused any payment. He did say he was low on his favorite wine due to the stress of the holiday weekend so I bought him plenty of it for his time and trouble.
If your ever anywhere near Hartford City, IN I highly recommend Wildwood Outdoor Escape, Jim and his wife Linda are wonderful people and are fantastic owners.

Thanks Jim!!
Old 05-29-2015, 07:54 PM   #7

There are still some really good people left in this world...
Old 05-30-2015, 10:45 AM   #8

Evergreen Owners Club
"A big clog" This means you or someone using the toilet has way too big of turds. Better get to eating more roughage or using Metamucil or similar product or you will be seeing this happen quite often!
Old 05-30-2015, 01:10 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrod View Post
"A big clog" This means you or someone using the toilet has way too big of turds. Better get to eating more roughage or using Metamucil or similar product or you will be seeing this happen quite often!
LOL,, I think it might have been the owner before me, it sat empty for 2 months before I used it and I believe it had the "Cone of shame" buildup that broke loose and clogged the drain. At least that's my story and I'm stickin' to it!! LOL!
Old 05-30-2015, 01:12 PM   #10

Can never have too many details...
Old 05-30-2015, 01:18 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Lots of water when flushing and valve closed until at least 1/2 full before dumping. What a $^*tty job that was. Glad all is well now.

Tags
tank