Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2010, 12:29 AM   #1

Black water pipe to tank leak

I have a small leak coming from my black water connection at the tank. I will try to describe what I have. The leak is where the 3" pipe comes out of the tank. It appears to have plumbers putty and then it is clamped. The biggest problem is space to repair it. The shut off valve is only about 3 inches from the tank and after the valve it makes a 180 degree turn. It then has a long straight run to the drain connection. I thought of just cutting the straight run, repair the leak, and then fix the cut pipe. Anyone have this problem before?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2010, 07:50 PM   #2
Kel

I did and was instructed by my buddy who owns an RV repair shop how to fix the leak with mesh and abs cement. He also told me I could cut the pipe and put it back together with a no hub coupling which works great.

Old 07-15-2010, 08:09 AM   #3

Solo Rvers Club
I had that problem, the connection had a rubber boot where
the two 3" pipes came together and a big clamp over the boot.
Took the clamp and boot off, and reset the pipe, put the boot
and clamp back on and cinched up the clamp. No more leak.
Old 08-31-2010, 07:02 AM   #4

Plumbing systems usually donít fail overnight. A number of things can happen; for example, with corrosion, one large water leak or several small copper pinhole leaks can develop and ultimately lead to the need for major water leaks repair . With scaling, mineral build-up snowballs, and eventually forms a detrimental pipe lining that decreases pipe diameter, reducing water flow to a trickle. Pipe repair done on a piecemeal basis doesnít effectively remove all mineral build-up or reverse corrosion, so homeowners are eventually forced to overhaul entire systems with a complete repiping from a good company......
Old 05-22-2012, 01:32 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rod.fishing View Post
I have a small leak coming from my black water connection at the tank. I will try to describe what I have. The leak is where the 3" pipe comes out of the tank. It appears to have plumbers putty and then it is clamped. The biggest problem is space to repair it. The shut off valve is only about 3 inches from the tank and after the valve it makes a 180 degree turn. It then has a long straight run to the drain connection. I thought of just cutting the straight run, repair the leak, and then fix the cut pipe. Anyone have this problem before?
How did you end up repairing this. I have the exact same problem. There is a pipe fitted into the black tank. It has a band clamp on it. Then a joint with a short pipe going to the gate. My leak is in that joint that connects the pipe fromn the black tank to the one attached to the gate. it is a real small slow drip. Is the pipe going in to black tank glued in or is it screwed in.
Old 05-22-2012, 02:16 PM   #6

Remove clamp and anything else that may get in the way. Use a heat gun to soften the sealant. Twist out the pipe. To repair clean both surfaces well, and if you are going to use new pipe, test fit. Coat both surfaces with urethane CAULKING not adhesive. The caulking remains flexible, adhesive get brittle and will probably cause more grief. Mist a bit of water on the sealant (to help curing) and slip pieces together. Finaly replace the hose clamp with a T-Bar type like used on the turbo hoses on the larger diesels.
Oh did I mention to drain and flush the tank first ?!!!. Also helps to park one side of RV on blocks so any liquid drains away from work area.
Fixed our tank seven years ago and never had any more trouble.
Art.
Old 05-23-2012, 12:12 AM   #7

Ok I thought maybe that pipe into the tank was sealed using something like that PVC glue. So if I take that clamp off I should be able to work the pipe out. I'll give it a try this weekend.