Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2014, 11:59 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Black water tank

What's wrong with gauge when it shows 3/4 full after it's been dumped?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2014, 12:06 PM   #2

Probably the level quantity probes are covered with @^%^

Old 06-05-2014, 12:54 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Cliffy how do I fix it?
Old 06-05-2014, 12:54 PM   #4

Cliffy is correct--normal tank gauges are notorious for inaccurate readings. This is one of the unpleasant aspects of an RV, and if the toilet is directly over the black tank, you can look down the drain while holding the toilet valve open to verify where the level is.
There are some tricks to try, but nothing guaranteed to work, nor keep it from crudding up again--Dawn detergent with a 1/2 full tank and driving around may help; if you can get one of the spray tools down the toilet into the tank that might work; or you can look into the SeaLevel aftermarket gauges that are said to work very well.
Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 01:12 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club

And I would also recommend that you look up the "Geo Method" for keeping your black tank clean(er). Some people only use the geo, but I prefer to use geo in-between trips, and still use the commercial products for decomposition and deodorizer during trips.

My recipe for the Geo method differs a little from others... I basically use about 2 cap fulls of Liquid Calgon Water Softerer, 2 cap fulls of the cheapest liquid laundry detergent i can find, and about 2 gallons of water. I pour this in after I've cleaned the black tank thoroughly so that it sloshes all around the black tank while driving home from RV park, and to the next park. Then I add the commercial products during camping, dump and clean at the end of the trip, and repeat the Geo method for the next trip. The Calgon keeps the tank walls slippery, and I think that's the major contribution of the method.
Old 06-05-2014, 01:12 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Thanks I will try that, I had trouble in another trailer but it was on fresh water tank. Someone told me to use Pine Soil and Bleach and drive around but I didn't know if this would work.
Old 06-05-2014, 01:14 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I would NOT use bleach in the tank. Bleach can compromise the plastics used in RV's...

Not sure about the Pin Sol, but I would recommend the Geo method since it has a lot of mileage among many RVers.
Old 06-05-2014, 01:21 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
I will try the Geo method , in mean time guess I can use a yardstick for measuring depth of black water or dump frequently.
Old 06-05-2014, 02:26 PM   #9

Fill and flush the tank a few times. Or fill and add treatment and let sit, empty tank and flush again.
Old 06-05-2014, 05:28 PM   #10

Evergreen Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vetl82 View Post
I will try the Geo method , in mean time guess I can use a yardstick for measuring depth of black water or dump frequently.
Toss that yardstick when the gauge works correctly.
mo5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 09:40 PM   #11

You can try buying one or two bags of ice. Put it down the toilet then drive around the camp area. Then drain the black tank.

Do you have a 'black tank flush'? If so use it. It might need to run 10 to 15 minutes.

Between the ice and black tank flush maybe you can get the gauge to work.
Old 06-06-2014, 12:28 AM   #12

Like they all said. The stuff is probably dried onto your level sensors. I would think that it happens most when you dump and don't use enough water to refill and flush a few times after the bad stuff goes down. I would refill all the way to the top and let it sit over night then dump and fill several times. If you can see down the toilet into the tank try using a hose (not your drinking water hose) down your toilet a swish it around for a good long time on each dump to really clean out the solids. Water pressure is most important here. There is a wand available that sprays sideways once inside the tank to help clean the sides. You'll be surprised how much junk stays in the tank when you don't fill and flush aggressively each time (and then it begins to stink)!
If flush and fill doesn't do it, then I suggest filling 3/4 full and adding water softener and soap and driving to your next destination then dump and fill again. You will eventually get them clean.
Always remember to let it fill most of the way before you dump the black tank and fill and flush several times. Most problems are solved or averted by using LOTS of water when dumping.
Old 06-06-2014, 12:47 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
I apologize for my ignorance as a new RVer. My bounder has a black water flush right in the main hook up compartment. I bought a special black hose and I hook it to the black water flush and it shoots water across the tank, supposedly over the sensors. Seems to work excellent. I also use this to put some fresh water in the black tank and flush a blue pouch into a toilet for storage.

Do all RV's not have a black water flush connection???
Old 06-06-2014, 07:05 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
I put 10# of ice into the tank and fill it half full with water. When I arrive at my destination I drain the tank and refill it and drain again. I follow up with "Happy Camper" tank treatment.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank, water