Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2011, 11:51 AM   #1

Black water tank

I'm having trouble with my black water tank,it is blocked somewhere below the toilet,it backs up,once i get it to go down it will drain to the sewer.I hope i explained that well enough,help!
Thank you
jinsac
jinsac is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2011, 04:00 PM   #2

Hope this will help.

Sounds like the toilet paper or some other items may be stopping the flow. Do you use chemicals in the take?

This will not be a pretty picture. It could range from a faulty valve to a heavy concentration of paper, or 'other items'.

My suggestion is to get a "sewer snake" as I call them, and run it down the toilet side to see what you get when you pull it out. Then I would open the valve, hopefully the tank isn't full, and run the snake up from that side and see what you get there. Strongly suggest you get a large plastic container to catch any out flow, if you know what mean. Hopefully there isn't a build up of solids causing the backup thus slow flow out. If so it will take some time to get it all out with the snake. Use lots of water.

Did this on my friends motor home and found clogged paper was the issue. It only took several hours to clean it out. His wife had been putting paper towels into the toilet.

There are RV repair p;aces which have a unit to do the and a TV/Monitor which wil let you look inside the tank, but this will cost you some $$$.

Interested to how this comes out, no pun intended.

Tide Guy
(Roll Tide)
Tide Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 09:52 AM   #3

Hey jinsac,

Are you keeping the tank closed until full and then emptying?? Sounds like you might have the valve open....

Regards, Howard
Old 07-21-2011, 02:38 PM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
First things first. I see this is your first post so:

I agree with Howard in that your explanation sounds like you have you black tank valve open all the way. You should always keep the valve closed until you need to drain. Otherwise the solids will build up in the tanks. You should always drain the tank when it get 1/2 to 3/4 full, close the valve and then fill to the same level and drain again.

But, to your original question. Some manufacturers put a "S" in the line from the toilet bowl to the black tank. If this is the case, it is easy for TP to block the pipe, thus requiring you to plunge it. The only solution to this scenario is to avoid using big wads of TP.
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank, water